University of New Brunswick Employee Reviews

Unb
CAMPUS WELLNESS ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB11 April 2018
As someone who has worked in various departments at the University I have had very few negative experiences. There is a strong sense of support and mentorship at the university. I felt very comfortable approaching my boss for support and enjoyed the work I did.
Good Side Job
Student Marker (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB13 March 2018
I worked as a student marker for the engineering department. The work was straight forward, and did not take a long time to complete grading assignments.
6 month contract
Project Manager, IT (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB7 March 2018
Management was sneaky

People did not want you to do a good job, they just wanted you to show up

finger pointing was a typical part of the day.

sad because it is a great university
Pros
free gym and class
Cons
pay and people
Great engineering faculty
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB6 March 2018
I work as an undergrad student here for two different professors. I did everything from instruct lower year labs to design and manufacture a fluidized bed reactor. Management and workplace culture were good.
Pros
Flexible hours, and access to resources
Cons
obsolete labs and working areas
Amazing
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB7 February 2018
Working for UNB was a very rewarding opportunity. Working with the community that I lived in and learned with was one of the best experiences of my life.
Lack of clarity for expectations
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB28 January 2018
My jobs was only for a small portion of the department. I was left to work without expectations being made clear. Overall, an average experience. Would recommend researching each department/job individually.
Great place to learn
Part Time Instructor (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB22 January 2018
I was always treated well, great learning environment. It is a university so there is always politics within each department which is frustrating, but overall good place to work.
Extraordinary study-work life
RESEARCH ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Fredericton, NB28 November 2017
I have been involved in implementing the algorithms for spatial data structure, team skills, work-life balance, multicultural environment, friendly atmosphere, all age-grouped colleagues
I was a student
Student (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB9 November 2017
As a student I worked closely with the staff at the College of Extended Learning and they were wonderful to work with. The staff is caring, professional, and very hands-on. They respond to requests in a timely fashion and they are friendly and encouraging.
Excellent Customer Service
Accounting Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fredericton, NB13 October 2017
School is rated good. Training on and off the job is makes the job interested. I will recommend studying in the school if you are looking for a work/study position.
Painter (casual & summer) (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB26 September 2017
Working for the University was a great experience, I got to work with a good team of dedicated people that have each others back and are driven to complete tasks for the benefit of the entire group. As long as you are working and aren't someone who stands around when there is nothing to do you'll fit in well in this environment. People are polite and you will meet a lot and form good working relationships here. The pay is good, the hours are good, and the management are professional.
Pros
good hours, good pay, good managment
East Coast University
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB9 June 2017
The school is very close to city center (the city population is 50,000). It is a very cold place and the school was built on a hill so it makes life a bit difficult in winter.
Pros
Tuition is cheaper than other Canadian Universities
Cons
Very small Community
Excellent for Student Side Jobs
Caller (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB7 June 2017
Not meant as a reliant job as it does not give very many hours. The pay is minimum wage and there isn't really any room to grow. However this job would be excellent for a busy student in need of a little extra cash.
Pros
Schedules
Temporary student researcher fun but delayed pay
Student Researcher (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB13 March 2017
I worked from September to the end of October. I could pick and choose what shifts I wanted to take, each were 4 hours in length. The job was relatively easy but my paycheck was delayed as the funding was coming from another University.
Disorganized
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB29 January 2017
It was very hard to work in this environment as it was very disorganized. Things were never done when they were suppose to be, keeping in touch with the management was difficult as they hardly responded to the e mails, and it pay was not what it was promised to be.
Pros
Good learning opportunity
Cons
too much more for too little pay
great way to make some extra money
Marker (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB6 January 2017
Marked lab reports. had a very flexible schedule. just needed to have them done in a reasonable amount of time. Was always encouraged to do things my way as long as i remained consistent with each report
Fun, challenging and interactive workplace
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB20 November 2016
Students would perform experiments while I supervised. They would answer pre lab questions before entering the lab and would write formal lab reports that I would correct quickly and efficiently.
Pros
Experience, student interaction
Nice Workplace
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB22 October 2016
Best place to work for students. Totally understands student availability. Gives students an opportunity to use to with working environment.
Pros
easy schedule for students
Teaching Assistant
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB22 September 2016
The faculty and staff at UNB are friendly and approachable, very easy and enjoyable people to work with. The job itself surrounds you with academia and people who are undeniably enthusiastic about it - a truly inspiring place to work.
Working for the University was enlightening and helpful for building integrity and patience
Freshwater Ecology Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB24 April 2016
I had a few different responsibilities when I was working with the University of New Brunswick. I spent most of my days entering specimen data into excel files which required me to work quickly and thoroughly to get the job done on the day I had set for my employer. I was in charge of making my own hours and following my own schedule. I attended meetings every Monday morning to update the team on what I was working on. Other responsibilities included working in labs to grind specimens to a fine powder so that I could later use them for isotope sampling. The hardest part of the job was the Isotope sampling; It was physically tiring on the lower back due to the long hours of sitting in the lab. This job was a great experience for me, it taught me integrity and patience when dealing with tedious tasks. I enjoyed helping with research because I felt like it was important for understanding the ecology of invertebrates.