University of New Brunswick

University of New Brunswick Employee Reviews

Canada81 reviews
Tough to get in but a great place to work. Pay could be better. A lot is up in the air right now do to the pandemic and what they want to do with staff and students for the new year.
Pros
Good culture and fun place to work
Cons
Pay
After 20 years with Science and Tech companies in the private sector, I joined UNB. Amazing leadership and team of creative and energetic professionals. I hope to stay long term. Love UNB!
Pros
Employees are Truly Valued, Work Life Balance
It was a regular workday in a school environment. Every day is practically the same as I come into the lab, make plans for the day's activity and proceed to execute my tasks.
I had a challenging 15 years with the university...I see this as a positive because it challenged me to focus on my work frequently taking my work home with me. This has more to do with my personality than the job itself. I had many opportunities to organize and evaluate my work and reflect on my ability to work with others.
typical work day is unpredictable

Learned to be a become a better listener

Workplace culture is unpredictable

Hardest part was the unpredictability
It is job that required working alone and working with other at the same time. I need to finish the task before the meeting with supervisor that was held every 2 days. It is a good learning experience because it is related to engineering. From it, I've learned how to cooperate with people from different departments in order to get the work done according to their need.
my research position was just for the school co-op program for 4 months but through the 4 months time I really learned number of things that were not told in the classroom and helped me in my career even today.
I enjoyed my team of professional and positive members. We worked well together and they were open to my suggestions. I had both flexibility and structure.
Tuition is one of the highest in the country, and tutoring help is non-existent for many subjects. Unfortunate, but overall the experience was nice. If the cost to attend was not so high, I could have completed my degree!
As a language tutor, the workplace culture at UNB Fredericton is collaborative with a relaxed environment. Fantastic employers, I have always enjoyed working for UNB.
Best people to work with. Very fun and competitive environment. Makes it so you have be on your toes at all time. made me learn many life skills while I was there
Supportive work environment, flexibility with scheduling, academic freedom, collaborative team, supportive to students , varied work days and responsibilities
Collaborative atmosphere
Excellent growth opportunities

Enjoyed the association with University donors and friends

Opportunities to travel and maintain relationships
I worked here during the summer months between my undergraduate years. It was fun. And I really got to connect with some of my professors and fellow students.
Good benefits like gym use and maternity leave benefits but because they have pay bands the pay is terrible. Good work life balance. Don’t have to worry about job security but not much room for advancement.
I worked as a procurement assistant during Summer term. I learned a lot on their procurement department, their internal IT systems and documentation. I was assigned various duties including maintaining purchase orders and handling account ledgers. Great team and a lot of positive encouragement for learning and improvement.
Friendly atmosphere
Interesting work

Flexible hours

Options to work from home

Good health and safety culture

Professional development support

Nice campus
Loved the job, could work from home or at UNB. It was a good learning experience. would love to do it again. The Grad student was understanding and explained the job in a good manner.
Most enjoyable parts fo the job: For student workers,there's lots of oportunities to gain experience in your field of study. I learned a lot and got really involved with multiple communities on campus.

The hardest parts of the job: I worked mainly indoors to do research and to write papers, which I thought got repetitive pretty often.

The culture: People tend to be relaxed and autonomous. It is a very focused environment.
Pros
Experience toward your career goals.
Cons
Not for extroverted people.
Great place to go to school overall. Some of the policies are ridiculous however and as a student your service to the university is not always respected. For the most part the professors are good however, some need to be seriously reviewed.
Pros
Beautiful Campus
Cons
Bad policies
Working at the University of New Brunswick, especially as a student is a great way to meet with other people on campus other than those in your faculty and build a level of credibility outside the academic life of the university