University of Minnesota Physicians Employee Reviews

First job I ever walked off
Surgery Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Edina, MN18 May 2019
manager sleeps at her desk, plays games and watches movies. over 100 calls a day while some of your co-workers play on Face Book. very clicky like high school. Most providers are unfriendly and disrespectful. No one even acknowledges you unless you do something wrong and than they have no problem disrespecting you in front of patients.
It is a good place to work
Call Center Representative (Current Employee) –  MN18 March 2019
I like working for them, they are a great company and really care about the Patients. They provide a lot of job opportunity and and benefits for their employees.
Rewarding work in a challenging culture
Manager (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MN4 March 2019
The work done at UMP was very rewarding, and it was easy to see the impact being made for patients. Unfortunately, that work is made more challenging by politics and a disconnect between leadership and those leading the day to day work.
Ok place to work if you don't mind being micromanaged
Registered Nurse (RN) Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MN28 February 2019
I have worked within the University of Minnesota Physicians both at the University campus and currently at Maple Grove. Maple Grove has been by far a better place to work, the staff and providers are great. UMP's benefits are some of the best I have had in various healthcare systems- 401K they give 2% and then match up to 6 %, pay is good for being in a clinic setting, PTO is ok but you have to use it for everything including holidays. In a hourly position you are micromanaged to the min of your time, unable to leave early or have any overtime. Their exempt status is ridiculous, definitely not a true "salary" position. If you need to be late or leave early for an appointment you have to use 4 hrs of PTO. There is no flexibility for flex start or end times, 8-5 pm is all you get. They scold you for being even minutes late; regardless of working through lunch, staying late or coming in early other days. Management will talk to you about your absents and late time, but then they come in late, leave early, "work remotely", or call in sick multiple times per week. They definitely do not practice what they preach to everyone else. Once people get on their radar, they will find minuscule reasons to write you up and eventually terminate you.
At Maple Grove, the providers want the staff to be up to the University standards, but there is no training, connection or continued learning opportunities to become that. It is like 2 separate healthcare systems, but try to act as one.
Pros
great coworkers, providers, benefits
Cons
Management micromanages and gets to do what they want, no schedule flexibility, not a true "salary" position
Every department is short staffed. High turnover rate for clinical staff.
LPN (Current Employee) –  Maple Grove, MN2 January 2019
M Health is not a good place to work if you are an LPN. The company does not recognize LPN’s as being nurses. LPN’s do not have the ability to do any nursing related tasks. The primary job function for LPN’s at this company consist of scheduling follow up appointments. IT DOES NOT TAKE A NURSE to schedule appointments! LPNs are treated as secretaries and are paid much lower than ACTUAL secretaries! The turnover rate is so high for LPN’s that literally every department is short staffed. As a clinical employee you are expected to float throughout the entire building (with an hour or less of training) to any department when there are staffing needs. It doesn’t matter which department you are hired for because you'll never work in one area consistently. You will be working in every department all over the building. LPN’s are just bodies to fill holes in the clinic schedule. If you’re an LPN who doesn’t mind floating to different departments regularly with little to no training and you’re passionate about scheduling follow up appointments for patients, then this is the job for you!
Pros
Friendly staff, organized manager, newer building, nice location
Cons
Low hourly rate for LPNs, no overtime, no holiday pay
Nice Place to work
Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edina, MN21 September 2018
Can be a great place to work, patient ratio can be rough for new Nurses. But an overall great employer to work for. They do have many work related classes available to employees
Management is virtually non-existant
DENTAL ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MN5 September 2018
I've been here for 3 years. 3 years too long. I have never worked for a company that works so hard to keep their employees down and as far from advancement as possible. You have no voice here and unfortunately patients don't seem to come first.
Benefits
Cons
No breaks, Ridiculous management
Good Place to Work
Medical Coder (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn Center, MN25 July 2018
U of M Physicians is a great company to work for. I've learned a lot while working here. The hardest part of the job is working denials. The best part is working from home 4 days per week.
Productive workplace with great environment.
Transcription Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MN12 July 2018
University of Minnesota Physicians is a great workplace with excellent benefits. Good management and comfortable workplace culture. Would highly recommend.
Relaxed and calm environment
Medical Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MN19 June 2018
My work nights was calm and quiet. I learned to work productively and alone. Management was trust worthy, because I was allowed to work alone and manage myself at night. The workplace culture was very goaled oriented and pleasant. The hardest part of the job was staying busy, because I worked the hours of 10pm-6am and it was not much work for me to do, so I created work for myself. The most enjoyable part of the job was working alone.
Pros
Working alone
Cons
Working alone
Give and take workplace
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MN outpatient surgery30 May 2018
The work life balance is amazing! I don’t work weekends, holidays, or call. My compensation was matched from my last job, benefits are wide range. Management is what crashes this employment rating. My manager doesn’t enforce rules and policies well, is very lax on everything, and always says he doesn’t want to micromanage, but doesn’t manage in general. Plus a director who feels she has always one up you.
Pros
Compensation, work/life balance, benefits
Cons
Management, policies being followed only when it benefits managemebt
Worthwhile organization that is truly making a difference
ACCOUNTANT II/FINANCIAL ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MN25 May 2018
I loved working for UMP. The organization was always working on very unique projects and truly making a difference in people's lives. The people who work in the accounting & finance departments are really great. Awesome place to work!
Stressful and condescending atmosphere
LDA/ Scheduling Management (Former Employee) –  UMP/ Pediatric Clinic14 May 2018
I interviewed for this position twice. The UMP clinic seems to have high turn over because this position has been posted twice before. During my interviewing I received rude, condescending and ridiculing behavior. I even witnessed eye rolling between two staff members during the interview process. Very belittling.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Not nice to prospective employees during the interview
Was a great place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MN25 April 2018
I enjoyed what I did when I worked there. I was able to gain great work skills and I could bring to my next job. I built some awesome relationships and still remain close to them.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Locations
Very busy, need more staff to assist each other
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Current Employee) –  Maple Grove, MN1 April 2018
Great people with great skills . Need more staff to assist daily job duties! Including scheduling of patients, clinic staff. To focus on all areas of clinic process.
Pros
Good pay, good coworkers
Cons
Too much to do with too little staff.
A good place to work.
Indexer (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MN29 March 2018
I learned a lot about indexing in this position. My team leaders were very helpful in teaching me about this position. My supervisor did not communicate with me very much in helping me or directing me in my work. He seemed more interested in working with the full time staff, than me who was part time. He did not seem very certain about what my hours should be. I was working as a contract worker with Fairview Hospital Ridges in Burnsville. I was receiving my work through the computer from Fairview Ridges. They did not always have enough work for me, and my supervisor called me and told me that I was being laid off within a week of being employed. I thought the productivity standards were a little high which were 90 pages to be indexed an hour on the computer.
Pros
Very friendly helpful staff. An excellent learning experience
Cons
Productivity standards were too high. Staff uncertain about the amount of work to be distributed.
Volunteer
Pediatric Cardiac Unit Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MN26 March 2018
Volunteered with children in the pediatric-cardiac unit. One of the most rewarding and fulfilling volunteer positions around. Able to play, hold and spend quality time with young ones who await surgery, transplant or treatment.
Enjoyable place to work
Clinic Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MN6 March 2018
Enjoyable place to work and friendly coworkers. Very fast paced environment and it is always changing. Management needs great improvement. Job security is not stable.
Mri Tech
MRI Technologist (Former Employee) –  Wyoming, MN1 March 2018
I left the country that is why i left the my spot. it was a good company, benefi, patient care, services, and good place to work with the coworkers and good manager
Pros
no stress
Cons
long drive
Fun and fast pace environment
Certified Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MN22 February 2018
It was a fun and fast pace work environment and there was something new everyday. I love working with pediatric patients. I realized how much I learned from working there. You learn something new everyday.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Minnesota Physicians. Our community is ready to answer.