University of Manitoba logo
University of Manitoba

University of Manitoba Employee Reviews

Fun workplace

It was a volunteer work as Arabic teachers for kids just one day per week on Saturday for two hours ,it fun and nice culture you want to work in . The kids was very nice and helpful.

Productive place

awesome place to work with great people but poor management. Learnt to develop time management skills, organizational culture and its importance. Team building exercises helped me develop skills to work with large groups.

Great Workplace

As a clinical educator, you have the opportunity to work in various facilities and get to know many different people. The university staff is supportive and helpful. Benefits are good when you have them. Being this is term (sessional) work there are no benefits during the Christmas season when you are off yet you have through the summer during the longest time off.

Pros

Different work environments

Cons

Long Hours

Research-based, postdoctoral job

Working on a discovery and rodent testing of potential neuroprotective pharmaceuticals.There was not much coherency within the Department and my work was very much focused specifically on my mentor's interests.

Pros

intellectually challenging, stimulating, novel

Cons

working on rodents was difficult

fun working with kids

I enjoyed working with kids and being about to teach them some healthy eating and doing some physical activities. A typical day would be playing with the kids and teaching them activities.

Pros

working with kids

Diverse community with lots to offer

I appreciated the friendly and helpful atmosphere at the university, as well as the various amenities offered on campus. Overall work life balance is quite good at the university. My only criticism for the university is for career entry positions which are often offered as three to six month contracts with the possibility of extensions. It is not uncommon to have two to three years, or longer, of such contracts before a permanent position can be procured.

overall the U of M is a great place to work

I would recommend working at the U of M. The pay is great and the benefits are amazing. The working environment is a great balance work and life. Taking a day off due to family issues is never questioned. The only issue I have is, sometimes, there is poor communication between management and staff.

Pros

pay and benifits

Fun and educational

Working at the Alternative Village (AV) at the University of Manitoba has got to be by far my favorite job! My mentor/manager was incredible! I got to learn so much from him. Everyone who worked at the AV, were very helpful to one another, knew what everybody was working on and was incredible to be around.

Good place to be

Everything is good. Attractive, flexible, good supervisors and even better people around :) Learned so many things other than research related stuff. Friendly environment, summer is the most fun part of the year.

Consultant

Great research project very relevant well organized published research teen dating violence supportive school good team leaders open to ideas multicultural school networking opportunities

Pros

cause I believe in

Cons

short time to do research

Jobs at University of Manitoba

See more jobs

Very good work place

Offers opportunities to learn and be updated; relevant employee benefits. I learned how to extract essental information from the studies reviewed, to be accurate and attentive to detail.

Pros

It is an academic environment

Cons

Difficult to find a spot in the parking lot

Incredible place to build yourself personally and professionally

A seasonal position for student leaders that provides guidance to students in residence. We focus on creating a safe, positive and inclusive environment for students from varied backgrounds and cultures. While being a direct resource to 32 students we also respond to emergency situations at all hours, including lost passkeys, over intoxication, and mental health crises and coordinated with 30 other Resident Advisors to ensure consistent policies for 1200 students, plan and execute community events and keeping all students informed on a multitude of topics.

Pros

residence stipend, great community

Cons

late nights

stress free

Stress free position at the University when you are already going there every day. It's an easy way to make a little extra cash to help pay for gas and groceries.

Unexpected Tenure

I was asked to teach on the extended education course the week after the courses had started and therefore I was very far behind where I should have been. I learned quickly that there not a lot of micro-managing and that I had to be proactive here. I enjoyed all of the students who were very polite, enthusiastic and hard working.

Pros

great pay

Cons

not much direction or support provided

University of Manitoba

While a good employer overall, being a sessional instructor at the University of Manitoba isn't an ideal job. The pay is meager, there are no benifits, and courses are handed out based on seniority, not performance. In the end, I suppose the problem was with CUPE (the union for sessionals), and not the UofM as an institution.

Strong work environment

The U of M is a fantastic place to work. All of the faculty and staff were very friendly. A typical day for me would begin in the morning and I would normally meet with the head coach to discuss practice. After that we would run practice followed by me running small individual and group workouts for players

Pros

Flexible hours

Cons

lack of pay for assistant coach

University of Mnaitoba

They are constantly restructuring the staff positions with each new head of the department This happens every 5 years so you never know where your job stands...not very good policy

Pros

the people are nice

Cons

the management not so much

Fun, very helpful people

I learned a lot as a team member of the Umecomotion team it was a really great experience. As a part of the propulsion team, we had to overcome challenges along the construction of the vehicle itself

Pros

Free Lunches

Good work balance

Good place to work and stay The most enjoyable part of the job place is the campus Good commute, Good research environment. A little boring and loose.

A good environment to work, research and be your own to work and innovate. Good facility to conduct research and teaching activity , friendly people and staff.

Pros

free to research and be on your own

Cons

security and permanent job

Fun Place to Work

- leadership experience - you will learn a lot - provides emotional support - requires a lot of work-life balance, time-management - gives you friends for life

Pros

flexible hours, leadership experience, bonding

Cons

stressful

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Manitoba. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2