University of Manitoba logo
University of Manitoba

University of Manitoba Employee Reviews

Fun workplace

It was a volunteer work as Arabic teachers for kids just one day per week on Saturday for two hours ,it fun and nice culture you want to work in . The kids was very nice and helpful.

Lack of professionalism

Professional staff treated with little respect and support. Pay is well below similar roles, no benefits and travel to various sites without any remuneration. Pay is not always the most important part of your job; if you feel respected, appreciated and treated with dignity, money is secondary.

Pros

some autonomy

Cons

hostile workplace

NIce Environment

UofM is a very beautiful campus and the people are very friendly and collaborative there. The multicultural scenario makes it easier for students and workers coming from other countries to adapt. The only downside I can think is that Winnipeg is a very cold city, so think well before taking the decision of going there.

Pros

Friendly, beautiful, multicultural

Cons

Cold

Non-stressful work days

Generally not difficult work days. The hardest part of the job is if you have a script and have had a long day, the lines can get a little muddled but other than that it's hard to screw up this job.

Pros

Free Lunches, long breaks, nice coworkers

Cons

can be boring

self management

nice and i had to talk to many other people , what the want , how to make then feel at home from home. In all i loved this job that i which i never had to leave

A good place to work

It is a good place to work. Salary and benefits are OK. The job security is not great because the positions are usually dependant on the financial situation of the institution at a given moment. Advancement is not great either. The university does not help with the costs of studies at the institution or with the cost of summer programs for the children of its employees.

University professor position

This position is little unusual position when the review is compared to other industrial position. Typical university professor position focused on the teaching and research.

Professional co-workers; exciting, dynamic venue

A typical day at work was not typical. Every day offered something different, and this made the job interesting. In the six months of my term I had three different managers, so that part was a bit difficult, but my co-workers more than made up for it! The hardest part of the job was having to completely rely on others -- ie: security, supplies, plant personnel, caterers, exhibitors/sponsors, speakers -- to come together to ensure a successful event. Seeing an event unfold was so rewarding! Doctors must keep informed what's new and interesting in the medical world, and it was fulfilling to be an important part of that.

Student Council

Had a great time helping out at St. Paul's College Student Council, had immense time and fun there. It is a great community and network of people and community.

Orientational

I have gained strong Orientational and time management skill gained by organizing and leading new international students to know about the university.

Jobs at University of Manitoba

See more jobs

Productive and fun workplace with great staff

I was fun to work with such a huge organization as the opportunities are endless. I, unfortunately, was only hired on a contract base which was completed one month after starting. However, given the opportunity, I would gladly work there again.

Awesome

Great place to work. The people are absolutely great and very pleasant. Working as a part of the Mini U team was fantastic. The staff are pleasant and awesome.

Pros

Working with other people with the same views as you

Cons

Learned a lot in this program

Extensive work for research proposal. Learned how to manage conflict and work independently People were not tolerante with other cultures People hard to work with. Travelled a lot and learn who to network and presentation skills

Fun working environment and work as a team with the support of our supervisor.

It is a great environment and we work as a team with the support of our supervisor. My problem solving skills are tested each day as I face them and learn few things each time. I enjoy working at the U of M because of our team. We support each other and help each other out when needed, also with the guidance of our supervisor.

a good environment to learn responsibilities

I was responsible for providing information on resources available to international student dealing with homesickness and winter-depression. help them reduce the culture shock for the incoming student from more conservative culture and provide resources for the students from warmer climate on how to dress in winter

Pros

free dinner

Cons

non

Lots of learning, good pay

Great working with renown professors for each given field. You get to interact and pick the brains of academics and learn a great deal. Pay is good for a student

Pros

Lots of learning, Good pay

Cons

few hours

Central to Learning

University of Manitoba is a great place to work. It is also an awesome place for lifelong learning for individuals and professionals. Working at the U of M provides the opportunity to meet many creative professionals, passionate researchers, experienced teachers, and eager students every day. The main campus is set in a bow of the Red River, close to parks, restaurants, and various professional business and recreation centres in the area. It is also a terminal for Rapid Transit, the quickest access to Winnipeg downtown and Exchange District.

good environment to work in, the co workers and employers were all good at what they do.

work experiences have taught me valuable skills including customer service, time management, communication, problem solving and working under pressure.

A great university

This is a great place to work, with job security and good benefits. The administration could definitely improve some things (some of the facilities are due for renovation) Generally the work culture is friendly.

a safe and a friendly work place and also a job that can keep me occupied for long hours.

the enjoyable part of the job is that your actually providing a service for people. i also like managing anything to be honest and i am also uncomfortably punctual and honest sometimes even to honest for instance if i notice that someone is slacking in their responsibilities i indirectly criticize them for being irresponsible. i believe in order for you to succeed and reach your goal in anything for that matter, you have to put your mind into it and work really hard to achieve it. nothing in this world is for free.

Pros

learning a new experience

Cons

long hours of work

flexible

great to work as a consultant with UMan. I worked my own hours and for the most part this was flexible. I set my rates which they did not negotiate. It works for me.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Manitoba. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2