University of Manitoba Pay & benefits reviews

Clear
3.7Pay & benefits

University of Manitoba

Great people, good attitudes, and steady hours. It was interesting I come from Construction where its give and go all the time and there ain't no relaxing there's lots of relaxing there even when your trying to work hard.

entry point screener

categorized as “student office assistant” means we’re basically nobodies on campus, zero job benefits and unorganized management. Cutting them some slack as this is a brand new COVID position but we have no on-site supervisors 99% of the time and have to figure everything out ourselves, then the supervisor tells us what we should have done. High turnover as it’s an unskilled position with no benefits or job security, we’re given no clue how long the position will even last. No priority given to people who have worked here longer, they keep hiring new people so they can give us less hours/shorter shifts and cut down on overtime pay. I lucked out and got some amazing coworkers but I’ll be quitting as soon as I have a full time position lined up. Also for some reason students are paid less than non-students for the same position and duties??

Pros

long stretches where you can do your own work at the desk, good coworkers, relatively good pay for an unskilled job

Cons

no job security, can be tedious, no break room or job benefits of any kind

Only paid as a beginner always

Only paid as a beginner always. No hope for job security. No promotion. Specially if you are a research associate, you are left in limbo. Never expect to get what you deserve.

I worked at saint johns

I worked at saint johns Residence cafeteria and daily bread cafe as a cashier / dishwashing/waitressing. The work is hectic and long . You are for around 15-30 min break and a meal .

track leader

Supervised examinations for medical students Maintained a secure and confidential environment Timed examinations and reviewed completed documents Sign in and sign out staff and students

Pros

free lunch

Lack of professionalism

Professional staff treated with little respect and support. Pay is well below similar roles, no benefits and travel to various sites without any remuneration. Pay is not always the most important part of your job; if you feel respected, appreciated and treated with dignity, money is secondary.

Pros

some autonomy

Cons

hostile workplace

Non-stressful work days

Generally not difficult work days. The hardest part of the job is if you have a script and have had a long day, the lines can get a little muddled but other than that it's hard to screw up this job.

Pros

Free Lunches, long breaks, nice coworkers

Cons

can be boring

A good place to work

It is a good place to work. Salary and benefits are OK. The job security is not great because the positions are usually dependant on the financial situation of the institution at a given moment. Advancement is not great either. The university does not help with the costs of studies at the institution or with the cost of summer programs for the children of its employees.

Lots of learning, good pay

Great working with renown professors for each given field. You get to interact and pick the brains of academics and learn a great deal. Pay is good for a student

Pros

Lots of learning, Good pay

Cons

few hours

A great university

This is a great place to work, with job security and good benefits. The administration could definitely improve some things (some of the facilities are due for renovation) Generally the work culture is friendly.

Jobs at University of Manitoba

See more jobs

flexible

great to work as a consultant with UMan. I worked my own hours and for the most part this was flexible. I set my rates which they did not negotiate. It works for me.

Great Workplace

As a clinical educator, you have the opportunity to work in various facilities and get to know many different people. The university staff is supportive and helpful. Benefits are good when you have them. Being this is term (sessional) work there are no benefits during the Christmas season when you are off yet you have through the summer during the longest time off.

Pros

Different work environments

Cons

Long Hours

overall the U of M is a great place to work

I would recommend working at the U of M. The pay is great and the benefits are amazing. The working environment is a great balance work and life. Taking a day off due to family issues is never questioned. The only issue I have is, sometimes, there is poor communication between management and staff.

Pros

pay and benifits

Good place to be

Everything is good. Attractive, flexible, good supervisors and even better people around :) Learned so many things other than research related stuff. Friendly environment, summer is the most fun part of the year.

Very good work place

Offers opportunities to learn and be updated; relevant employee benefits. I learned how to extract essental information from the studies reviewed, to be accurate and attentive to detail.

Pros

It is an academic environment

Cons

Difficult to find a spot in the parking lot

stress free

Stress free position at the University when you are already going there every day. It's an easy way to make a little extra cash to help pay for gas and groceries.

University of Manitoba

While a good employer overall, being a sessional instructor at the University of Manitoba isn't an ideal job. The pay is meager, there are no benifits, and courses are handed out based on seniority, not performance. In the end, I suppose the problem was with CUPE (the union for sessionals), and not the UofM as an institution.

Good work balance

Good place to work and stay The most enjoyable part of the job place is the campus Good commute, Good research environment. A little boring and loose.

It's a rabbit hole for post-doctoral fellows and graduate students

Working at University of Manitoba as a post-doctoral fellow is like entering a sand dune. You just get sucked in without any hope of getting a permanent full-time position anywhere. The University has no program in place that can facilitate intake of trained personnel leading to brain drain.

Pros

Staff benefits are one of the best in industry. Good work-life balance

challenging work, continual learning

The typical day was any but. Never knew what could come in the door. Always faced with new things to learn/research. Politics can hinder any growth and change or improvement are slow. Great work life balance. Great benefits.

Pros

Self directed with no supervision

Cons

No growth

Fun Place

Good place to work especially for a student. Gained good communication skills. One can also learn time management skills. Fun work environment. Good managers.

Pros

Free Gym memership

Cons

busy in the evenings

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Manitoba. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2