University of Manitoba

University of Manitoba Management reviews

Clear

Diversified and friendly workplace

As a volunteer my experience was remarkable. On a typical day, I complied with the management requirements. Developing interpersonal skills and problem-solving strategies were the two most important things I have learned. The management staffs were supportive and friendly. Also workplace had a diversified culture. The hardest part of the job was to keep up with the number of students. Being able to participate with the students was the most enjoyable part of the job.

Run Away

Horrible. Director has no clue what to do with employees, Verbal abuse, first place I've worked where the employees tell management what to do, Other manager abusive, swearing and yelling but he buys Starbucks for the Director so he is golden. I could go on but why, if you like a slack attitude as a worker and politics this is the place for you. Absolutely no innovation and safety, 1970's mentality.

entry point screener

categorized as “student office assistant” means we’re basically nobodies on campus, zero job benefits and unorganized management. Cutting them some slack as this is a brand new COVID position but we have no on-site supervisors 99% of the time and have to figure everything out ourselves, then the supervisor tells us what we should have done. High turnover as it’s an unskilled position with no benefits or job security, we’re given no clue how long the position will even last. No priority given to people who have worked here longer, they keep hiring new people so they can give us less hours/shorter shifts and cut down on overtime pay. I lucked out and got some amazing coworkers but I’ll be quitting as soon as I have a full time position lined up. Also for some reason students are paid less than non-students for the same position and duties??

Pros

long stretches where you can do your own work at the desk, good coworkers, relatively good pay for an unskilled job

Cons

no job security, can be tedious, no break room or job benefits of any kind

Abundant in Opportunity

University of Manitoba is a Wonderfull pack of variety of work opportunity . perfect wage, good start, lot to learn and of course an awesome management and lovely boss makes it a lot easier to work.

Human resources takes forever for job process

Working for the University of Manitoba was fantastic and I would love to work there again. Work days were busy and fast-paced which made for fast days. Funding for permanent jobs is greatly lacking. Some issues with Human Resources and management in some departments. Hard to get into most jobs as they are given to internals even though some externals are more experienced and better suited for the jobs.

Good

Management making decisions without feedback and input from employees.Friendly co-workers. Pd sessions . Flexible work schedule. Collaboration among staff helpful.

Major cuts over the last few years

The University is in a mode of cutting back on everything. Countless people have been let go and the University is suffering for the lack of spending. Buildings are falling into disrepair. Terrible work environment. Everyone wonders who's next to go.

Not the place to work

Not a great place to work in general. There may be better departments but overall the university remains unchanged over time and lacking in respect for its employees. Their pay levels are also lower than other similar institutions. Not been a lot of change unfortunately in 20 years with regard to how the university treats people. Time to change

Orientational

I have gained strong Orientational and time management skill gained by organizing and leading new international students to know about the university.

good environment to work in, the co workers and employers were all good at what they do.

work experiences have taught me valuable skills including customer service, time management, communication, problem solving and working under pressure.

Jobs at University of Manitoba

See more jobs

Productive place

awesome place to work with great people but poor management. Learnt to develop time management skills, organizational culture and its importance. Team building exercises helped me develop skills to work with large groups.

overall the U of M is a great place to work

I would recommend working at the U of M. The pay is great and the benefits are amazing. The working environment is a great balance work and life. Taking a day off due to family issues is never questioned. The only issue I have is, sometimes, there is poor communication between management and staff.

Pros

pay and benifits

University of Mnaitoba

They are constantly restructuring the staff positions with each new head of the department This happens every 5 years so you never know where your job stands...not very good policy

Pros

the people are nice

Cons

the management not so much

Fun Place to Work

- leadership experience - you will learn a lot - provides emotional support - requires a lot of work-life balance, time-management - gives you friends for life

Pros

flexible hours, leadership experience, bonding

Cons

stressful

Fun Place

Good place to work especially for a student. Gained good communication skills. One can also learn time management skills. Fun work environment. Good managers.

Pros

Free Gym memership

Cons

busy in the evenings

Productive and fun place to work with a great team.

On the typical day doing this job you get to interact positively with university students. The management is friendly and down to earth. I am always learning how to be more professional.

A regular day in the Glenlea Dairy Barn

A typical day in the dairy barn starts with an 4 AM milking shift followed by regular barn cleaning and animal care. Once all of the regular duties are completed, other duties such as vaccinations, treatments, and repairs are to be completed if there is time before the 3:30 PM milking begins. There is never an ordinary day, there are always new challenges to be faced which requires quick problem solving. Management at Glenlea provides support and guidance when it is needed. Overall workplace culture is enjoyable, the other members of the barn staff are always ready to lend a helping hand when it is needed, and we all share a good laugh from time to time. The hardest part of the job is some of the physical demands and extremely long work hours. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to use some of my education in agriculture in the workplace, as well as working with qualified and experience co-workers.

Pros

Qualified and experienced co-workers, an environment where I use my education related to agriculture

Cons

No overtime pay, extremely long hours

best job i have ever had

i worked in archives with one other person, pulling files and shredding them, it was the least stressful job i have ever had. management didn't care what you did, when you went on break or took lunch, as long as you got the job done. you spend a lot of time with one person, so as long as you are okay with that then everything is fine. they were doing construction so the dust and debris was pretty harsh. besides that it was fine, i did end up losing my voice. working with friends, low stress and overall a good place to work.

Staff & physical environment is good; Senior Mgmt is poor

Constant union-busting, budget restraints, and outsourcing make the U of M far less lucrative an employer than in the past. Staff and facilities are very good.

A great place to work

A great place to work with great management, great employees and great customers. Very accommodating to school schedules and very understanding when people have other commitments.

Good environment, clear metrics

The position provided clear goals as to what was to be taught and the overall desired pass rate. University policies were clarified whenever needed.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Manitoba. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2