University of Manitoba

University of Manitoba Job security & advancement reviews

Clear
3.5Job security & advancement

Great Culture to work with

I had an excellent experience. The University provides a diverse and great environment to work. The workplace culture is collaborative, and I have learned a lot during the time I worked there.

entry point screener

categorized as “student office assistant” means we’re basically nobodies on campus, zero job benefits and unorganized management. Cutting them some slack as this is a brand new COVID position but we have no on-site supervisors 99% of the time and have to figure everything out ourselves, then the supervisor tells us what we should have done. High turnover as it’s an unskilled position with no benefits or job security, we’re given no clue how long the position will even last. No priority given to people who have worked here longer, they keep hiring new people so they can give us less hours/shorter shifts and cut down on overtime pay. I lucked out and got some amazing coworkers but I’ll be quitting as soon as I have a full time position lined up. Also for some reason students are paid less than non-students for the same position and duties??

Pros

long stretches where you can do your own work at the desk, good coworkers, relatively good pay for an unskilled job

Cons

no job security, can be tedious, no break room or job benefits of any kind

Only paid as a beginner always

Only paid as a beginner always. No hope for job security. No promotion. Specially if you are a research associate, you are left in limbo. Never expect to get what you deserve.

Awesome place

One of the best employers in the province. The opportunity of a rewarding career and a fun time was had supporting and growing with the university community.

Relaxed

This was not an actual paid job but a voluntary position and work for the students and coordinate with central student organization. I enjoyed that position.

It was good

As a sabbatical opportunity it was very good for me. I had a good time to leverage and enlarge my speaking skills, literature review and scientific reports.

Productive place

A place where everyone can learn in an environment that people come from different cultural backgrounds and able to form a team in the laboratory. Good researches and advisors.

Casual employment

Working as a casual employee for several years is difficult to gain permanent offers. I enjoyed the staff and environment very much but need something more stable.

Abundant in Opportunity

University of Manitoba is a Wonderfull pack of variety of work opportunity . perfect wage, good start, lot to learn and of course an awesome management and lovely boss makes it a lot easier to work.

Not a bad school

Engineering department is ok. Some profs are good while some are not equally good. I love engineering. I have learned a lot from my education. A okay school for overall.

Jobs at University of Manitoba

See more jobs

Productive, innovative and realistic

I am an active volunteer there, learning and contributing to their upgrade on a previous project ( product) which is the smart tractor. This year's update will focus on location and sensor.

Productive and Driven workplace

Great environment with very supportive staff. Flexible with job work/life. Awesome manager! Encourages staff development and everybody gets along well in the department.

Friendly and fast paced at the university bookstore

The bookstore was fast-paced, but everyone was very friendly and willing to help. The interview process took a while and was quite competitive, training was beneficial for other aspects of life and work experience.

Extremely easy to rise and shine in this environment.

After the first week I noticed that with the guidance of my then boss, I became faster and more accurate of the tasks given to me on a daily basis. What was supposed to be a 1 month term position became a 6 month term in both assistant and receptionist duties. Overall an incredible experience.

Pros

Full time work

Cons

Not needed after term ended

I loved my job.

I loved my job it was the work atmosphere that I had a problem with. The office was full of young professionals. I did not work at the University I worked in the back room of a clinic.

Pros

Short hours

Cons

Bad office atmosphere

Best Summer job

Working at the University was not like working at all! I meet tons of new people. I was able to assit each one with their projects and it was very educational. I took alot from this jobm all the skills I learned helped me grow my now career.

A good place to work

It is a good place to work. Salary and benefits are OK. The job security is not great because the positions are usually dependant on the financial situation of the institution at a given moment. Advancement is not great either. The university does not help with the costs of studies at the institution or with the cost of summer programs for the children of its employees.

University professor position

This position is little unusual position when the review is compared to other industrial position. Typical university professor position focused on the teaching and research.

Productive and fun workplace with great staff

I was fun to work with such a huge organization as the opportunities are endless. I, unfortunately, was only hired on a contract base which was completed one month after starting. However, given the opportunity, I would gladly work there again.

A great university

This is a great place to work, with job security and good benefits. The administration could definitely improve some things (some of the facilities are due for renovation) Generally the work culture is friendly.

Research-based, postdoctoral job

Working on a discovery and rodent testing of potential neuroprotective pharmaceuticals.There was not much coherency within the Department and my work was very much focused specifically on my mentor's interests.

Pros

intellectually challenging, stimulating, novel

Cons

working on rodents was difficult

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Manitoba. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2