University of Manitoba

University of Manitoba Employee Reviews

Competitive but relaxed work atmosphere. Colleagues were supportive.

It was a nice experience working at university of Manitoba and cancercare Manitoba.I had support of the staff as I was new to the system.Though it’s a cold place but people were full of warmth.

Run Away

Horrible. Director has no clue what to do with employees, Verbal abuse, first place I've worked where the employees tell management what to do, Other manager abusive, swearing and yelling but he buys Starbucks for the Director so he is golden. I could go on but why, if you like a slack attitude as a worker and politics this is the place for you. Absolutely no innovation and safety, 1970's mentality.

entry point screener

categorized as “student office assistant” means we’re basically nobodies on campus, zero job benefits and unorganized management. Cutting them some slack as this is a brand new COVID position but we have no on-site supervisors 99% of the time and have to figure everything out ourselves, then the supervisor tells us what we should have done. High turnover as it’s an unskilled position with no benefits or job security, we’re given no clue how long the position will even last. No priority given to people who have worked here longer, they keep hiring new people so they can give us less hours/shorter shifts and cut down on overtime pay. I lucked out and got some amazing coworkers but I’ll be quitting as soon as I have a full time position lined up. Also for some reason students are paid less than non-students for the same position and duties??

Pros

long stretches where you can do your own work at the desk, good coworkers, relatively good pay for an unskilled job

Cons

no job security, can be tedious, no break room or job benefits of any kind

Fun workplace

It was a volunteer work as Arabic teachers for kids just one day per week on Saturday for two hours ,it fun and nice culture you want to work in . The kids was very nice and helpful.

Only paid as a beginner always

Only paid as a beginner always. No hope for job security. No promotion. Specially if you are a research associate, you are left in limbo. Never expect to get what you deserve.

Fast paced with learning opportunities

I have worked at the University of Manitoba as a student researcher and administrative assistant for a total of 10 years during my Masters and now my PhD. There is always something different to do every day. Some days its lab work, others its administration. My time working here has also allowed me to help with publications, write some of my own, and even go to archaeological digs as a member of the team while working. The most challenging aspect of the job is that it can be time consuming, stressful and fast-paced at times. However, these periods are short lived and the job is very rewarding.

Great

Efficient place to work, stress-free, development, fast-paced, cultural environment, discipline, respect, encouraging teamwork environment, and overall excellent

Great Culture to work with

I had an excellent experience. The University provides a diverse and great environment to work. The workplace culture is collaborative, and I have learned a lot during the time I worked there.

Awesome place

One of the best employers in the province. The opportunity of a rewarding career and a fun time was had supporting and growing with the university community.

Really Helped me learn to problem solve and communicate

During my time here, I would receive numerous questions on a weekly basis from students. Each time it involved tailoring explanations that made sense to them. Additionally, weekly meetings were held among other TAs to communicate, problems, fairness, and other methods on how we can improve the learning experience for the students

Pros

Flexible hours

Cons

More work than given hours

Jobs at University of Manitoba

See more jobs

Relaxed

This was not an actual paid job but a voluntary position and work for the students and coordinate with central student organization. I enjoyed that position.

The atmosphere was great

The time at University of Manitoba was amazing. The colleagues were so nice and helpful during the work!

University of Manitoba

Great people, good attitudes, and steady hours. It was interesting I come from Construction where its give and go all the time and there ain't no relaxing there's lots of relaxing there even when your trying to work hard.

It was good

As a sabbatical opportunity it was very good for me. I had a good time to leverage and enlarge my speaking skills, literature review and scientific reports.

Great Student Team to Join

UMATT offered a great place to apply engineering knowledge learned in school. The team is great to work with and is always willing to teach inexperienced members something new.

fun place

typical is a characteristic or behavior that is normal and expected for a given person or thing or in a given situation. An example of something that would be described as typical is your typical boring day at work where you do the same things you do every other day.

Exceptional and committed team of consultants.

Very rewarding work, with both the Health Centre Staff, Becoming friends with staff and clients, getting to know the Inuit people we visited, learning from them

Pros

Great learning and collaborative working environment.

Cons

Travel delays, time away from family, renumeration was apparently low.

Productive place

A place where everyone can learn in an environment that people come from different cultural backgrounds and able to form a team in the laboratory. Good researches and advisors.

Diversified and friendly workplace

As a volunteer my experience was remarkable. On a typical day, I complied with the management requirements. Developing interpersonal skills and problem-solving strategies were the two most important things I have learned. The management staffs were supportive and friendly. Also workplace had a diversified culture. The hardest part of the job was to keep up with the number of students. Being able to participate with the students was the most enjoyable part of the job.

Job satisfaction will dependend upon where & who you work with, in the university you work.

Many people are very nice & helpful, but some long term employees are difficult personalities, & no one seems willing or able to provide support. Also, the environment was one of the dirtest places I've ever worked in. Cleaning staff never actually cleaned, till I spoke to the janitoral staff supervisor, about the dust balls on the floor & how filthy my shoes got. Bathrooms were never cleaned. Stairs & stairwells had coffee spills on the floor & walls,

Casual employment

Working as a casual employee for several years is difficult to gain permanent offers. I enjoyed the staff and environment very much but need something more stable.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Manitoba. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2

3.5Job security/advancement

Compare University of Manitoba with

• University of Manitoba
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?