University of Manitoba logo
University of Manitoba

University of Manitoba Employee Reviews for Research Assistant

Really Helped me learn to problem solve and communicate

During my time here, I would receive numerous questions on a weekly basis from students. Each time it involved tailoring explanations that made sense to them. Additionally, weekly meetings were held among other TAs to communicate, problems, fairness, and other methods on how we can improve the learning experience for the students

Pros

Flexible hours

Cons

More work than given hours

Only paid as a beginner always

Only paid as a beginner always. No hope for job security. No promotion. Specially if you are a research associate, you are left in limbo. Never expect to get what you deserve.

The atmosphere was great

The time at University of Manitoba was amazing. The colleagues were so nice and helpful during the work!

Exciting

The opportunity to work as a research assistant at the University was one i welcomed and embraced as i would be paid to do what i love to do, which is research. Working here has been very exciting.

Productive and respectful job

Great people Respectful atmosphere Excellent leaders A enjoyable atmosphere to grow You can learn many things from your colleagues It is important to do the best of yourself

Research/Teaching Assistant

Being a graduate student is not easy. The only way to make a little money is to get Research and/or Teaching Assistantship. It will give you enough money to survive, but by no means a comfortable life. So you feel underpaid. But you are in it to get a Master or PhD degree, so that is ok.

Dynamic, innovative, friendly with colorful culture

The main characteristic of the University of Manitoba I can say is the worm and friendly work environment. The duties are clearly defined. and people are very helpful and supportive in the work environment.

So far so good

I love the environment and the people around me. A day is going to the office, greet your colleagues, teach your students. People are very respectful.

Pros

Nice envrionment

Cons

hard to eat as a Muslim and a Sunsaharan African

It a very good univeristy for engineering field

It a very good univeristy for engineering field. I have studied Physics and Electrical Engineering there. The professors are great. I also worked there part time and which allowed me to continue my studies. I am grateful.

Best Summer job

Working at the University was not like working at all! I meet tons of new people. I was able to assit each one with their projects and it was very educational. I took alot from this jobm all the skills I learned helped me grow my now career.

researcher -

i worked as researcher, helping the professor in teaching, and carrying research on his projects. marking the assignments and covering come teaching topics in class.

A great university

This is a great place to work, with job security and good benefits. The administration could definitely improve some things (some of the facilities are due for renovation) Generally the work culture is friendly.

Very good work place

Offers opportunities to learn and be updated; relevant employee benefits. I learned how to extract essental information from the studies reviewed, to be accurate and attentive to detail.

Pros

It is an academic environment

Cons

Difficult to find a spot in the parking lot

good

good place to work and very kind staff people to worked with. Furthermore well maintained high standered through lecturer materials and high standered laboratory facilities

Learned a lot

I completed my master's degree there. It was an amazing experience. I was working as a research assistant therefore I was learning and earning at the same time it was a nice journey.

Enjoyable time

As a Masters student a typical day involves a great amount of study and the ability to efficiently utilise the time at hand. In this environment one has to plan carefully and leave nothing to the last moment. Last moment actions are rarely productive and only serve as a platform for bad stress. As a whole the diversity of the student population is refreshing, and brings enjoyment to my studies.

Pros

knowledge

warm, welcoming, interactive environment

Good working environment. Faculty was suppportive and provide opportunities for freshers to develop their skills. I learned lot of skills to enhacne my resume with variability. It also provided me with opprotunity to learn different cultures and people with different ethnicity. I started to appreciate more of the work that I do. Regular informative sessions were provided by the university on how ot enhance your skills and to project yourself in the market.

Pros

Regular Workshops

A Job I Will Never Forget

As a paid research assistant and full time honours student, I would work in the lab (as a research assistant) after class and on weekends. Although it was hectic, the graduate students I worked under were very knowledgeable and I learned a great deal. I really enjoyed collaborating with other students on projects, but also enjoyed the responsibility and independence. Once tasks were delegated, I was free to do my own work and ask questions when necessary. The other undergraduate students (co-workers) were wonderful passionate people with a drive to succeed. I really never had any issues with anyone that I worked with in the lab. I would say the most difficult part of the job was sometimes too much independence. Without any training I would be tossed into a situation and be expected to figure it out (which can be stressful). However, from such experiences, I learned how resourceful I can be and became a more competent and capable individual because of it. Overall, I would say the most enjoyable part of the job ended up being the required growth and responsibility that was given to me. I learned a lot about adapting, problem solving and thinking critically which I consider very valuable lessons. Other than that, it was the people; when you work in an environment in which people respect you and trust you to get things done, you are motivated to do the best you can.

satisfactory

 Planting, maintaining, harvesting and discarding canola and wheat in the greenhouse, growth room and field conditions.  Experience in applying pesticides, managing insects and fertilizing, crossing designated plants in the greenhouse.  Collecting, organizing, recording data and samples, greenhouse maintenance, and cleaning.  Cleaning the lab, greenhouse and growth rooms, ordering instruments and maintaining lab supplies.  Inoculation, recording data and evaluation of canola and wheat for diseases.  Preparation, numbering, randomization of canola seeds for field trials.  Arranging plots, labeling, seeding, weeding, harvesting and testing for black leg and Fusarium diseases for canola and wheat.  Preparation, autoclaving and pouring of media, inoculation and harvesting for colonies for field trials  Assisted graduate students do their research activities

Pros

flexible hours

Good co-workers and excellent work environment. Will be exposed to multi cultural scenarios, international contacts.

Pros

multi cultural, international exposure

Cons

periodic long hours of work

Lively with lots to learn

It was a wonderful experience as I worked on a topic related to aging. The supervisor was very helpful and I learnt various laboratory skills. The hardest part of the job was to perform assays using outdated devices. The most enjoyable part of the job was to meet the world renowned scientists and learn about their ongoing research. The management was very good except the replacement of the damaged devices always took very long.

Pros

on campus location

Cons

had to work overtime without getting paid for it

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Manitoba. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2