University of Manitoba logo
University of Manitoba

University of Manitoba Employee Reviews for Instructor

Competitive, collaborative yet relaxed and positive environment.

A typical day starts at 8:30 am to 2:30 pm. I learnt a lot about student oriented interactive teaching. Hardest part of the job was prep work everyday after school. The most enjoyable part of the job was of course teaching students. Thanks

Pros

Pot luck and outdoor activities and tours.

Cons

Very few holidays

excellent team

Great working conditions, super cool team. It's not too long before anyone is integrated to the team as long as you pull your own weight. Even if Randstad is a huge organization, it still has that small family feeling but with huge resources and support.

Not the place to work

Not a great place to work in general. There may be better departments but overall the university remains unchanged over time and lacking in respect for its employees. Their pay levels are also lower than other similar institutions. Not been a lot of change unfortunately in 20 years with regard to how the university treats people. Time to change

Unexpected Tenure

I was asked to teach on the extended education course the week after the courses had started and therefore I was very far behind where I should have been. I learned quickly that there not a lot of micro-managing and that I had to be proactive here. I enjoyed all of the students who were very polite, enthusiastic and hard working.

Pros

great pay

Cons

not much direction or support provided

University of Manitoba

While a good employer overall, being a sessional instructor at the University of Manitoba isn't an ideal job. The pay is meager, there are no benifits, and courses are handed out based on seniority, not performance. In the end, I suppose the problem was with CUPE (the union for sessionals), and not the UofM as an institution.

not a good workplace

The job you get as a sessional instructor is not secure and the system is corrupted. I have worked for the Math Department there, but it is not a friendly environment. They look at you as if you owe them something, for no good reason. Their classes are big and they don't appreciate the work you do for them. The department does not protect you if some students want to bug you. Over the campus they consider the sessional instructors as second class citizens. But some parts of the campus do good jobs; for example if you have some problems with the IT affairs , then the IT Services provide you with necessary advise.

Good environment, clear metrics

The position provided clear goals as to what was to be taught and the overall desired pass rate. University policies were clarified whenever needed.

Dance rooms in the Active Living Centre and Powwow Club program

Although it is quite small, the dance room I teach in, located in the active living centre is a great necessity for the type of dance I teach. It allows me to perform to the best of my ability and my students learn in a more efficient way. The powwow club program offered at the University of Manitoba is a great way for youth and adults to learn the Aboriginal culture and dance.

Pros

Mirrors, fan, music, aux input, windows, chairs, shelves for belongings, railings, white board, free lunch with program

Cons

Small

Excellent work!

Moved to different province. Loved the university life, a lot of room to grow in your career.

Jobs at University of Manitoba