University of Manitoba logo
University of Manitoba

University of Manitoba Employee Reviews in Winnipeg, MB

Fun workplace

It was a volunteer work as Arabic teachers for kids just one day per week on Saturday for two hours ,it fun and nice culture you want to work in . The kids was very nice and helpful.

Run Away

Horrible. Director has no clue what to do with employees, Verbal abuse, first place I've worked where the employees tell management what to do, Other manager abusive, swearing and yelling but he buys Starbucks for the Director so he is golden. I could go on but why, if you like a slack attitude as a worker and politics this is the place for you. Absolutely no innovation and safety, 1970's mentality.

entry point screener

categorized as “student office assistant” means we’re basically nobodies on campus, zero job benefits and unorganized management. Cutting them some slack as this is a brand new COVID position but we have no on-site supervisors 99% of the time and have to figure everything out ourselves, then the supervisor tells us what we should have done. High turnover as it’s an unskilled position with no benefits or job security, we’re given no clue how long the position will even last. No priority given to people who have worked here longer, they keep hiring new people so they can give us less hours/shorter shifts and cut down on overtime pay. I lucked out and got some amazing coworkers but I’ll be quitting as soon as I have a full time position lined up. Also for some reason students are paid less than non-students for the same position and duties??

Pros

long stretches where you can do your own work at the desk, good coworkers, relatively good pay for an unskilled job

Cons

no job security, can be tedious, no break room or job benefits of any kind

Only paid as a beginner always

Only paid as a beginner always. No hope for job security. No promotion. Specially if you are a research associate, you are left in limbo. Never expect to get what you deserve.

Fast paced with learning opportunities

I have worked at the University of Manitoba as a student researcher and administrative assistant for a total of 10 years during my Masters and now my PhD. There is always something different to do every day. Some days its lab work, others its administration. My time working here has also allowed me to help with publications, write some of my own, and even go to archaeological digs as a member of the team while working. The most challenging aspect of the job is that it can be time consuming, stressful and fast-paced at times. However, these periods are short lived and the job is very rewarding.

Great

Efficient place to work, stress-free, development, fast-paced, cultural environment, discipline, respect, encouraging teamwork environment, and overall excellent

Great Culture to work with

I had an excellent experience. The University provides a diverse and great environment to work. The workplace culture is collaborative, and I have learned a lot during the time I worked there.

Really Helped me learn to problem solve and communicate

During my time here, I would receive numerous questions on a weekly basis from students. Each time it involved tailoring explanations that made sense to them. Additionally, weekly meetings were held among other TAs to communicate, problems, fairness, and other methods on how we can improve the learning experience for the students

Pros

Flexible hours

Cons

More work than given hours

Relaxed

This was not an actual paid job but a voluntary position and work for the students and coordinate with central student organization. I enjoyed that position.

University of Manitoba

Great people, good attitudes, and steady hours. It was interesting I come from Construction where its give and go all the time and there ain't no relaxing there's lots of relaxing there even when your trying to work hard.

Jobs at University of Manitoba

in Winnipeg, MB
See more jobs

It was good

As a sabbatical opportunity it was very good for me. I had a good time to leverage and enlarge my speaking skills, literature review and scientific reports.

Great Student Team to Join

UMATT offered a great place to apply engineering knowledge learned in school. The team is great to work with and is always willing to teach inexperienced members something new.

fun place

typical is a characteristic or behavior that is normal and expected for a given person or thing or in a given situation. An example of something that would be described as typical is your typical boring day at work where you do the same things you do every other day.

Exceptional and committed team of consultants.

Very rewarding work, with both the Health Centre Staff, Becoming friends with staff and clients, getting to know the Inuit people we visited, learning from them

Pros

Great learning and collaborative working environment.

Cons

Travel delays, time away from family, renumeration was apparently low.

Diversified and friendly workplace

As a volunteer my experience was remarkable. On a typical day, I complied with the management requirements. Developing interpersonal skills and problem-solving strategies were the two most important things I have learned. The management staffs were supportive and friendly. Also workplace had a diversified culture. The hardest part of the job was to keep up with the number of students. Being able to participate with the students was the most enjoyable part of the job.

Casual employment

Working as a casual employee for several years is difficult to gain permanent offers. I enjoyed the staff and environment very much but need something more stable.

I worked at saint johns

I worked at saint johns Residence cafeteria and daily bread cafe as a cashier / dishwashing/waitressing. The work is hectic and long . You are for around 15-30 min break and a meal .

Abundant in Opportunity

University of Manitoba is a Wonderfull pack of variety of work opportunity . perfect wage, good start, lot to learn and of course an awesome management and lovely boss makes it a lot easier to work.

Not a bad school

Engineering department is ok. Some profs are good while some are not equally good. I love engineering. I have learned a lot from my education. A okay school for overall.

Competitive, collaborative yet relaxed and positive environment.

A typical day starts at 8:30 am to 2:30 pm. I learnt a lot about student oriented interactive teaching. Hardest part of the job was prep work everyday after school. The most enjoyable part of the job was of course teaching students. Thanks

Pros

Pot luck and outdoor activities and tours.

Cons

Very few holidays

Good place for people who want work-life balance

I would say that working at the University of Manitoba is the most pleasurable time in my past few years. The working environment is comfortable and all of the colleagues are very nice. The only disadvantage is that they don't offer much long-term jobs.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Manitoba. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2