University of Manitoba

University of Manitoba Employee Reviews

Canada283 reviews

universitystudentprofessorcampuslabteachingstudylearn

Quite and friendly

Colleagues are friendly and helpful.The benefits are good.There isn't much room for promotion.Unions are powerful, and basic rights and interests can be well protected

This is the best place to work in my opinion. People are friendly and willing to help each other. Management is also really good. For myself, the most enjoyable part of the job is feeding calves because I can see their growing process and they look cute.

Insights into University of Manitoba

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Overall satisfaction

Best coworkers I've ever had

Very supportive and friendly environment. I have no complaints about management. The hardest part of my job was to greet students/guests. During busy days you might not get much time to breath between people.

Pros

Supportive coworkers

Cons

The pay isn't super great

Unionized Environment

Culture is to promote by seniority and not ability. Leads to bad hires. Lack of innovation due to strict adherence to job descriptions and scope. Expected output is low and you will still progress by just being there for years.

Pros

Easy environment, don't need to work hard to keep your job. Strong union.

Cons

No merit based pay or ability to grow without spending time racking up seniority. Toxic favouritism.

Nice place to start working

work is repetitive, but less stressful. Typical day is full but not exhausted. Good place to have work life balances. Recommended for people who wish to build a life outside of work.

Solid and reliable job

Good place to work, not as flexible on hours or part time opportunities as I would like. It can be difficult to move or advance to different roles based on experience and skills as seniority takes priority.

Fun place to work.

Great work-life balance. Helpful and supportive staff. But lack of communication and support from management. Limited salary increment and job opportunities.

Benefits and pension but fairly low pay

The support staff are treated more like factory workers with pay that could certainly be better. On the positive side, the job comes with benefits, pension, and paid 3-week vacation (for permanent staff).

Good place to start

The laboratory environment is excellent. Technician is very responsible and is willing to offer any help when they are available. The flexibility is also high. A good place for any student who want to start their career, especially aiming at research-based position in the future.

Pros

Friendly environment, patience guidance, high flexibility

A healthy work environment

It is a good place to work. The management there was good. I gained a lot of my customer service skills from working there. You can expect a respective working environment

Poor management style; apathetic environment

I work with vulnerable students helping them face academic challenges, organize their time and work on study skills. I have a background in special needs and literacy. I began work with this department just before the pandemic and was overjoyed because I hoped I could quit my other part time job where the work environment was extremely difficult. I enjoy working with chikdren and adults in education, and I hoped the job would be lower stress than my other job, and be more fulfilling. Firstly, hours come and go too easily, so I wasn'table to leave my other job, presenting me with more time running back and forth on the bus . If you have a student who bails on a meeting-which, given their challenges, could be quite common- you don't get paid. So you can be scheduled for 20 hours work and only work ten. It's untenable.However, I worked hard and cultivated relationships wherein the students understood that showing up for appointments is important, bc those appointments and other commitments are for their benefit.When the university "went remote" I didn't hear from my manager for months. My position-negotiating schedule, dealing with anxious parents, students' increased anxiety and difficulties going through the pandemic- was entirely on my shoulders. When my manager did show up again, he never alluded to his absence and then proceeded to pile more hours on top of me and my colleagues, in violation of university policy of capping hours at 20 a week, rather than hire more help. We got the students through the pandemic at the detriment of my own schoolwork and mental health, -

Pros

Fulfilling work with students.

Cons

Management and lack of support ; unsecured hours and inability to say no to hours.

Fair place to work

Average compensation, good work life balance. Many opportunities to move around within the organization. Benefits are excellent. I loved working there.

Pros

Good work life balance

Cons

None really

Excellent place to work

Learnt alot of thingsRelaxed deadlinesExcellent payGood benefits Great experience for resumeOpportunity for growthWell supportedCollaboration and independent nature of work

Flexible

Supportive and friendly environment. Much flexibility, you can work from home. Some time needs to do extensive field work to collect samples and analysis.

Pros

Good benefit

Cons

Contact basis

Better compensation

Generally the pay is higher than the rest of the city. Besides they are upfront about the pay and you can see before you apply. I liked working there but most of the student jobs are based on the term so it can only be a side money that occasionaly you would receive

Good place to work for students

Can't go wrong working for the university as a student. I was put on projects I wanted to work on, got time off when I needed it (especially for exams), and coworkers and supervisors were understanding and supportive

Lack of clarity regarding overall direction for the organization.

Uninspiring place to work, unfortunately. It seems like nobody really has much vision and also reacting with not a lot of thinking about the more long term vision.

Heavy

Busy and fast-paced. The management are accommodating and gave adequate training. Their expectations are high. Nice to be able to work with students and in academia.

Good place

Good place to work. Friendly and helpful staff. Supportive management. Salary is good. Duties are clear and assessed well. Overall happy to work there.

It is a great university to work for.

I like working here. It is very supportive and collaborative environment. I also appreciate the opportunity to work from home during the pandemic. I would love to continue working here.

Technician at U of M

This organization does not pay its technical staff well enough at all. Many managers and faculty are out of touch with the support staff that make it all work.

Pros

Progressive environemtn

Cons

Low wages

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Manitoba. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement