University of Manitoba logo
University of Manitoba
View all University of Manitoba reviews

University of Manitoba

University of Manitoba Employee Review

Fast paced with learning opportunities

I have worked at the University of Manitoba as a student researcher and administrative assistant for a total of 10 years during my Masters and now my PhD. There is always something different to do every day. Some days its lab work, others its administration. My time working here has also allowed me to help with publications, write some of my own, and even go to archaeological digs as a member of the team while working. The most challenging aspect of the job is that it can be time consuming, stressful and fast-paced at times. However, these periods are short lived and the job is very rewarding.

2.0Job security/advancement

Same roleSame location

Productive and fun working environment

The lab environment is very flexible and easy to learn. I will get opportunity to handle equipments.

Pros

Flexible work timimgs

Cons

No cons
Same location

Run Away

Horrible. Director has no clue what to do with employees, Verbal abuse, first place I've worked where the employees tell management what to do, Other manager abusive, swearing and yelling but he buys Starbucks for the Director so he is golden. I could go on but why, if you like a slack attitude as a worker and politics this is the place for you. Absolutely no innovation and safety, 1970's mentality.
Same location

entry point screener

categorized as “student office assistant” means we’re basically nobodies on campus, zero job benefits and unorganized management. Cutting them some slack as this is a brand new COVID position but we have no on-site supervisors 99% of the time and have to figure everything out ourselves, then the supervisor tells us what we should have done. High turnover as it’s an unskilled position with no benefits or job security, we’re given no clue how long the position will even last. No priority given to people who have worked here longer, they keep hiring new people so they can give us less hours/shorter shifts and cut down on overtime pay. I lucked out and got some amazing coworkers but I’ll be quitting as soon as I have a full time position lined up. Also for some reason students are paid less than non-students for the same position and duties??

Pros

long stretches where you can do your own work at the desk, good coworkers, relatively good pay for an unskilled job

Cons

no job security, can be tedious, no break room or job benefits of any kind

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Manitoba. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2

3.5Job security/advancement

Compare University of Manitoba with

• University of Manitoba
  • Fast paced with learning opportunities