University of Manitoba Employee Reviews

Productive and fun workplace with great staff
Project Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB6 June 2018
I was fun to work with such a huge organization as the opportunities are endless. I, unfortunately, was only hired on a contract base which was completed one month after starting. However, given the opportunity, I would gladly work there again.
Awesome
Mini U leader (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB30 May 2018
Great place to work. The people are absolutely great and very pleasant. Working as a part of the Mini U team was fantastic. The staff are pleasant and awesome.
Pros
Working with other people with the same views as you
Cons
Learned a lot in this program
TEACHING ASSISTANT/GRADER/MARKER (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB20 May 2018
Extensive work for research proposal.
Learned how to manage conflict and work independently
People were not tolerante with other cultures
People hard to work with.
Travelled a lot and learn who to network and presentation skills
Fun working environment and work as a team with the support of our supervisor.
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB16 May 2018
It is a great environment and we work as a team with the support of our supervisor. My problem solving skills are tested each day as I face them and learn few things each time.

I enjoy working at the U of M because of our team. We support each other and help each other out when needed, also with the guidance of our supervisor.
a good environment to learn responsibilities
INTERNATIONAL STUDENT REP (Former Employee) –  Winnipegosis, MB14 May 2018
I was responsible for providing information on resources available to international student dealing with homesickness and winter-depression. help them reduce the culture shock for the incoming student from more conservative culture and provide resources for the students from warmer climate on how to dress in winter
Pros
free dinner
Cons
non
Lots of learning, good pay
Teaching Assistant/Grader/Marker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB7 May 2018
Great working with renown professors for each given field. You get to interact and pick the brains of academics and learn a great deal. Pay is good for a student
Pros
Lots of learning, Good pay
Cons
few hours
Central to Learning
Graphic Design Sessional Instructor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB30 April 2018
University of Manitoba is a great place to work. It is also an awesome place for lifelong learning for individuals and professionals. Working at the U of M provides the opportunity to meet many creative professionals, passionate researchers, experienced teachers, and eager students every day.

The main campus is set in a bow of the Red River, close to parks, restaurants, and various professional business and recreation centres in the area. It is also a terminal for Rapid Transit, the quickest access to Winnipeg downtown and Exchange District.
good environment to work in, the co workers and employers were all good at what they do.
student patrol officer (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB27 April 2018
work experiences have taught me valuable skills including customer service, time management, communication, problem solving and working under pressure.
A great university
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB19 April 2018
This is a great place to work, with job security and good benefits.

The administration could definitely improve some things (some of the facilities are due for renovation)

Generally the work culture is friendly.
a safe and a friendly work place and also a job that can keep me occupied for long hours.
Treasurer Assistant of science faculty (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB18 April 2018
the enjoyable part of the job is that your actually providing a service for people. i also like managing anything to be honest and i am also uncomfortably punctual and honest sometimes even to honest for instance if i notice that someone is slacking in their responsibilities i indirectly criticize them for being irresponsible. i believe in order for you to succeed and reach your goal in anything for that matter, you have to put your mind into it and work really hard to achieve it. nothing in this world is for free.
Pros
learning a new experience
Cons
long hours of work
flexible
Writer and Editor (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC17 April 2018
great to work as a consultant with UMan. I worked my own hours and for the most part this was flexible. I set my rates which they did not negotiate. It works for me.
Productive place
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB16 April 2018
awesome place to work with great people but poor management. Learnt to develop time management skills, organizational culture and its importance. Team building exercises helped me develop skills to work with large groups.
Great Workplace
Clinical Education Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB11 April 2018
As a clinical educator, you have the opportunity to work in various facilities and get to know many different people.
The university staff is supportive and helpful. Benefits are good when you have them. Being this is term (sessional) work there are no benefits during the Christmas season when you are off yet you have through the summer during the longest time off.
Pros
Different work environments
Cons
Long Hours
Research-based, postdoctoral job
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Manitoba7 April 2018
Working on a discovery and rodent testing of potential neuroprotective pharmaceuticals.There was not much coherency within the Department and my work was very much focused specifically on my mentor's interests.
Pros
intellectually challenging, stimulating, novel
Cons
working on rodents was difficult
fun working with kids
VOLUNTEER (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB6 April 2018
I enjoyed working with kids and being about to teach them some healthy eating and doing some physical activities.
A typical day would be playing with the kids and teaching them activities.
Pros
working with kids
Diverse community with lots to offer
Research Technician (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 April 2018
I appreciated the friendly and helpful atmosphere at the university, as well as the various amenities offered on campus. Overall work life balance is quite good at the university. My only criticism for the university is for career entry positions which are often offered as three to six month contracts with the possibility of extensions. It is not uncommon to have two to three years, or longer, of such contracts before a permanent position can be procured.
overall the U of M is a great place to work
Info Technologist (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB2 April 2018
I would recommend working at the U of M. The pay is great and the benefits are amazing. The working environment is a great balance work and life. Taking a day off due to family issues is never questioned. The only issue I have is, sometimes, there is poor communication between management and staff.
Pros
pay and benifits
Fun and educational
Quality Compliance Tester (Former Employee) –  Manitoba, Canada28 March 2018
Working at the Alternative Village (AV) at the University of Manitoba has got to be by far my favorite job!

My mentor/manager was incredible! I got to learn so much from him. Everyone who worked at the AV, were very helpful to one another, knew what everybody was working on and was incredible to be around.
Good place to be
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB28 March 2018
Everything is good. Attractive, flexible, good supervisors and even better people around :) Learned so many things other than research related stuff. Friendly environment, summer is the most fun part of the year.
Consultant
good team leaders
open to ideas
multicultural school
networking opportunities
Pros
cause I believe in
Cons
short time to do research

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Manitoba. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2