University of Manitoba

Working at University of Manitoba: Latest University of Manitoba Reviews

Canada272 reviews

universitystudentprofessorcampuslabteachingstudylearn

Good place to start

The laboratory environment is excellent. Technician is very responsible and is willing to offer any help when they are available. The flexibility is also high. A good place for any student who want to start their career, especially aiming at research-based position in the future.

Pros

Friendly environment, patience guidance, high flexibility

A healthy work environment

It is a good place to work. The management there was good. I gained a lot of my customer service skills from working there. You can expect a respective working environment

Insights into University of Manitoba

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Time and location flexibility

Poor management style; apathetic environment

I work with vulnerable students helping them face academic challenges, organize their time and work on study skills. I have a background in special needs and literacy. I began work with this department just before the pandemic and was overjoyed because I hoped I could quit my other part time job where the work environment was extremely difficult. I enjoy working with chikdren and adults in education, and I hoped the job would be lower stress than my other job, and be more fulfilling. Firstly, hours come and go too easily, so I wasn'table to leave my other job, presenting me with more time running back and forth on the bus . If you have a student who bails on a meeting-which, given their challenges, could be quite common- you don't get paid. So you can be scheduled for 20 hours work and only work ten. It's untenable.However, I worked hard and cultivated relationships wherein the students understood that showing up for appointments is important, bc those appointments and other commitments are for their benefit.When the university "went remote" I didn't hear from my manager for months. My position-negotiating schedule, dealing with anxious parents, students' increased anxiety and difficulties going through the pandemic- was entirely on my shoulders. When my manager did show up again, he never alluded to his absence and then proceeded to pile more hours on top of me and my colleagues, in violation of university policy of capping hours at 20 a week, rather than hire more help. We got the students through the pandemic at the detriment of my own schoolwork and mental health, -

Pros

Fulfilling work with students.

Cons

Management and lack of support ; unsecured hours and inability to say no to hours.

Fair place to work

Average compensation, good work life balance. Many opportunities to move around within the organization. Benefits are excellent. I loved working there.

Pros

Good work life balance

Cons

None really

Excellent place to work

Learnt alot of thingsRelaxed deadlinesExcellent payGood benefits Great experience for resumeOpportunity for growthWell supportedCollaboration and independent nature of work

Flexible

Supportive and friendly environment. Much flexibility, you can work from home. Some time needs to do extensive field work to collect samples and analysis.

Pros

Good benefit

Cons

Contact basis

Better compensation

Generally the pay is higher than the rest of the city. Besides they are upfront about the pay and you can see before you apply. I liked working there but most of the student jobs are based on the term so it can only be a side money that occasionaly you would receive

Good place to work for students

Can't go wrong working for the university as a student. I was put on projects I wanted to work on, got time off when I needed it (especially for exams), and coworkers and supervisors were understanding and supportive

Lack of clarity regarding overall direction for the organization.

Uninspiring place to work, unfortunately. It seems like nobody really has much vision and also reacting with not a lot of thinking about the more long term vision.

Heavy

Busy and fast-paced. The management are accommodating and gave adequate training. Their expectations are high. Nice to be able to work with students and in academia.

Good place

Good place to work. Friendly and helpful staff. Supportive management. Salary is good. Duties are clear and assessed well. Overall happy to work there.

It is a great university to work for.

I like working here. It is very supportive and collaborative environment. I also appreciate the opportunity to work from home during the pandemic. I would love to continue working here.

Technician at U of M

This organization does not pay its technical staff well enough at all. Many managers and faculty are out of touch with the support staff that make it all work.

Pros

Progressive environemtn

Cons

Low wages

Fun place and nice people

Good place. Bosses are pretty supportive and helpful. Easy to ask for time off or appointments. Relaxed and lenient as long as you do your job. Overall I recommend working here.

Pros

Great people, work and life balance

Very productive work environment

UoM is more than a work place, if you are looking for a work place where you can easily enjoy work-life culture while maintaining professionalism and still be relevant in your specific field, UoM is definitely the place.

Pros

Company pension, relevant training, professional development and average benefit you get from a decent employer

Cons

None for now

Good place to start your career

Pros:Work-life balance, good benefits, management is hit or miss, and many activities going on around campus (pre-Covid).Cons:Lack of communication and direction from management and work politics.

Great place to work if you are a student

Wonderful place to work and also pretty chill. Management is really understanding and supportive in the event of conflicts. Sometimes it can be a little stressful but overall 10/10

Incompetent management and nepotism to the max

For a post-secondary institute, it's ironic how stuck the university is in the past when these institutions are supposed to encourage progress. Senior admin at totally out of touch and hire other incompetent people in higher positions - to the point where qualifications and experience don't matter, just how well you're liked - just perpetuating the problem. Staff are treated poorly with limited opportunities for growth and advancement (unless you've sucked up to the right people). And forget trying to say anything, they'll just gaslight you in thinking it was your fault. This is a systemic issue at the university, not worth the cost of your mental health

Pros

Health benefits

Cons

Toxic work environment starting from the top

Good place to work as part-time

Great place to work as TA, nice opportunity for a student to gain some work experience and extra money. Professors are usually nice, but requires good grades for the course and put in academic efforts.

Reasearch assistant

very relax working environment. A very good student's part time job. Work hour is very flexible and can work from home. Pay is fair with the workload.

Zero work-life balance.

Administration is completely out of touch with the day-to-day realities of staff and students.Endless turnover because people are treated so badly.Say they believe in diversity and inclusion, but don't show it in the way they treat their staff and students.No job security.

Pros

Great co-workers who work extremely hard.

Cons

Extremely long hours. Admin does not care about staff and students' health.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Manitoba. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement