University of Manitoba Employee Reviews

Non-stressful work days
Standardized Patient (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB19 July 2018
Generally not difficult work days. The hardest part of the job is if you have a script and have had a long day, the lines can get a little muddled but other than that it's hard to screw up this job.
Pros
Free Lunches, long breaks, nice coworkers
Cons
can be boring
self management
Clerk at G.P.A'S (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB19 July 2018
nice and i had to talk to many other people , what the want , how to make then feel at home from home. In all i loved this job that i which i never had to leave
A good place to work
Technician (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB2 July 2018
It is a good place to work.
Salary and benefits are OK.
The job security is not great because the positions are usually dependant on the financial situation of the institution at a given moment.
Advancement is not great either. The university does not help with the costs of studies at the institution or with the cost of summer programs for the children of its employees.
University professor position
Assistant/Associate Professor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB25 June 2018
This position is little unusual position when the review is compared to other industrial position. Typical university professor position focused on the teaching and research.
Professional co-workers; exciting, dynamic venue
Program Coordinator - CPD Medicine (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB25 June 2018
A typical day at work was not typical. Every day offered something different, and this made the job interesting.

In the six months of my term I had three different managers, so that part was a bit difficult, but my co-workers more than made up for it!

The hardest part of the job was having to completely rely on others -- ie: security, supplies, plant personnel, caterers, exhibitors/sponsors, speakers -- to come together to ensure a successful event.

Seeing an event unfold was so rewarding! Doctors must keep informed what's new and interesting in the medical world, and it was fulfilling to be an important part of that.
Student Council
Member of St. Paul’s College Student Council (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB19 June 2018
Had a great time helping out at St. Paul's College Student Council, had immense time and fun there. It is a great community and network of people and community.
Orientational
Orientation leader for Volunteer // Winnipeg, MB (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB10 June 2018
I have gained strong Orientational and time management skill gained by organizing and leading new international students to know about the university.
Productive and fun workplace with great staff
Project Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB6 June 2018
I was fun to work with such a huge organization as the opportunities are endless. I, unfortunately, was only hired on a contract base which was completed one month after starting. However, given the opportunity, I would gladly work there again.
Awesome
Mini U leader (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB30 May 2018
Great place to work. The people are absolutely great and very pleasant. Working as a part of the Mini U team was fantastic. The staff are pleasant and awesome.
Pros
Working with other people with the same views as you
Cons
Learned a lot in this program
TEACHING ASSISTANT/GRADER/MARKER (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB20 May 2018
Extensive work for research proposal.
Learned how to manage conflict and work independently
People were not tolerante with other cultures
People hard to work with.
Travelled a lot and learn who to network and presentation skills
Fun working environment and work as a team with the support of our supervisor.
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB16 May 2018
It is a great environment and we work as a team with the support of our supervisor. My problem solving skills are tested each day as I face them and learn few things each time.

I enjoy working at the U of M because of our team. We support each other and help each other out when needed, also with the guidance of our supervisor.
a good environment to learn responsibilities
INTERNATIONAL STUDENT REP (Former Employee) –  Winnipegosis, MB14 May 2018
I was responsible for providing information on resources available to international student dealing with homesickness and winter-depression. help them reduce the culture shock for the incoming student from more conservative culture and provide resources for the students from warmer climate on how to dress in winter
Pros
free dinner
Cons
non
Lots of learning, good pay
Teaching Assistant/Grader/Marker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB7 May 2018
Great working with renown professors for each given field. You get to interact and pick the brains of academics and learn a great deal. Pay is good for a student
Pros
Lots of learning, Good pay
Cons
few hours
Central to Learning
Graphic Design Sessional Instructor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB30 April 2018
University of Manitoba is a great place to work. It is also an awesome place for lifelong learning for individuals and professionals. Working at the U of M provides the opportunity to meet many creative professionals, passionate researchers, experienced teachers, and eager students every day.

The main campus is set in a bow of the Red River, close to parks, restaurants, and various professional business and recreation centres in the area. It is also a terminal for Rapid Transit, the quickest access to Winnipeg downtown and Exchange District.
good environment to work in, the co workers and employers were all good at what they do.
student patrol officer (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB27 April 2018
work experiences have taught me valuable skills including customer service, time management, communication, problem solving and working under pressure.
A great university
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB19 April 2018
This is a great place to work, with job security and good benefits.

The administration could definitely improve some things (some of the facilities are due for renovation)

Generally the work culture is friendly.
a safe and a friendly work place and also a job that can keep me occupied for long hours.
Treasurer Assistant of science faculty (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB18 April 2018
the enjoyable part of the job is that your actually providing a service for people. i also like managing anything to be honest and i am also uncomfortably punctual and honest sometimes even to honest for instance if i notice that someone is slacking in their responsibilities i indirectly criticize them for being irresponsible. i believe in order for you to succeed and reach your goal in anything for that matter, you have to put your mind into it and work really hard to achieve it. nothing in this world is for free.
Pros
learning a new experience
Cons
long hours of work
flexible
Writer and Editor (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC17 April 2018
great to work as a consultant with UMan. I worked my own hours and for the most part this was flexible. I set my rates which they did not negotiate. It works for me.
Productive place
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB16 April 2018
awesome place to work with great people but poor management. Learnt to develop time management skills, organizational culture and its importance. Team building exercises helped me develop skills to work with large groups.
Great Workplace
Clinical Education Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB11 April 2018
As a clinical educator, you have the opportunity to work in various facilities and get to know many different people.
The university staff is supportive and helpful. Benefits are good when you have them. Being this is term (sessional) work there are no benefits during the Christmas season when you are off yet you have through the summer during the longest time off.
Pros
Different work environments
Cons
Long Hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Manitoba. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3