University of Manitoba

University of Manitoba Employee Reviews

Canada249 reviews
Fast paced with learning opportunities
I have worked at the University of Manitoba as a student researcher and administrative assistant for a total of 10 years during my Masters and now my PhD. There is always something different to do every day. Some days its lab work, others its administration. My time working here has also allowed me to help with publications, write some of my own, and even go to archaeological digs as a member of the team while working.

The most challenging aspect of the job is that it can be time consuming, stressful and fast-paced at times. However, these periods are short lived and the job is very rewarding.
Only paid as a beginner always
Only paid as a beginner always.
No hope for job security. No promotion. Specially if you are a research associate, you are left in limbo. Never expect to get what you deserve.
Great
Efficient place to work, stress-free, development, fast-paced, cultural environment, discipline, respect, encouraging teamwork environment, and overall excellent
Great Culture to work with
I had an excellent experience. The University provides a diverse and great environment to work. The workplace culture is collaborative, and I have learned a lot during the time I worked there.
Awesome place
One of the best employers in the province. The opportunity of a rewarding career and a fun time was had supporting and growing with the university community.
Really Helped me learn to problem solve and communicate
During my time here, I would receive numerous questions on a weekly basis from students. Each time it involved tailoring explanations that made sense to them. Additionally, weekly meetings were held among other TAs to communicate, problems, fairness, and other methods on how we can improve the learning experience for the students
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
More work than given hours
Relaxed
This was not an actual paid job but a voluntary position and work for the students and coordinate with central student organization. I enjoyed that position.
The atmosphere was great
The time at University of Manitoba was amazing. The colleagues were so nice and helpful during the work!
University of Manitoba
Great people, good attitudes, and steady hours. It was interesting I come from Construction where its give and go all the time and there ain't no relaxing there's lots of relaxing there even when your trying to work hard.
It was good
As a sabbatical opportunity it was very good for me. I had a good time to leverage and enlarge my speaking skills, literature review and scientific reports.
Great Student Team to Join
UMATT offered a great place to apply engineering knowledge learned in school. The team is great to work with and is always willing to teach inexperienced members something new.
fun place
typical is a characteristic or behavior that is normal and expected for a given person or thing or in a given situation. An example of something that would be described as typical is your typical boring day at work where you do the same things you do every other day.
Exceptional and committed team of consultants.
Very rewarding work, with both the Health Centre Staff, Becoming friends with staff and clients, getting to know the Inuit people we visited, learning from them
Pros
Great learning and collaborative working environment.
Cons
Travel delays, time away from family, renumeration was apparently low.
Productive place
A place where everyone can learn in an environment that people come from different cultural backgrounds and able to form a team in the laboratory. Good researches and advisors.
Diversified and friendly workplace
As a volunteer my experience was remarkable. On a typical day, I complied with the management requirements. Developing interpersonal skills and problem-solving strategies were the two most important things I have learned. The management staffs were supportive and friendly. Also workplace had a diversified culture. The hardest part of the job was to keep up with the number of students. Being able to participate with the students was the most enjoyable part of the job.
Job satisfaction will dependend upon where & who you work with, in the university you work.
Many people are very nice & helpful, but some long term employees are difficult personalities, & no one seems willing or able to provide support. Also, the environment was one of the dirtest places I've ever worked in. Cleaning staff never actually cleaned, till I spoke to the janitoral staff supervisor, about the dust balls on the floor & how filthy my shoes got. Bathrooms were never cleaned. Stairs & stairwells had coffee spills on the floor & walls,
Casual employment
Working as a casual employee for several years is difficult to gain permanent offers.
I enjoyed the staff and environment very much but need something more stable.
I worked at saint johns
I worked at saint johns Residence cafeteria and daily bread cafe as a cashier / dishwashing/waitressing. The work is hectic and long . You are for around 15-30 min break and a meal .
Abundant in Opportunity
University of Manitoba is a Wonderfull pack of variety of work opportunity . perfect wage, good start, lot to learn and of course an awesome management and lovely boss makes it a lot easier to work.
Not a bad school
Engineering department is ok. Some profs are good while some are not equally good. I love engineering. I have learned a lot from my education. A okay school for overall.
Competitive, collaborative yet relaxed and positive environment.
A typical day starts at 8:30 am to 2:30 pm. I learnt a lot about student oriented interactive teaching. Hardest part of the job was prep work everyday after school. The most enjoyable part of the job was of course teaching students.
Thanks
Pros
Pot luck and outdoor activities and tours.
Cons
Very few holidays
Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Manitoba. Our community is ready to answer.
4.2