University of Manitoba Employee Reviews

Diverse community with lots to offer
Research Technician (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 April 2018
I appreciated the friendly and helpful atmosphere at the university, as well as the various amenities offered on campus. Overall work life balance is quite good at the university. My only criticism for the university is for career entry positions which are often offered as three to six month contracts with the possibility of extensions. It is not uncommon to have two to three years, or longer, of such contracts before a permanent position can be procured.
overall the U of M is a great place to work
Info Technologist (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB2 April 2018
I would recommend working at the U of M. The pay is great and the benefits are amazing. The working environment is a great balance work and life. Taking a day off due to family issues is never questioned. The only issue I have is, sometimes, there is poor communication between management and staff.
Pros
pay and benifits
Fun and educational
Quality Compliance Tester (Former Employee) –  Manitoba, Canada28 March 2018
Working at the Alternative Village (AV) at the University of Manitoba has got to be by far my favorite job!

My mentor/manager was incredible! I got to learn so much from him. Everyone who worked at the AV, were very helpful to one another, knew what everybody was working on and was incredible to be around.
Good place to be
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB28 March 2018
Everything is good. Attractive, flexible, good supervisors and even better people around :) Learned so many things other than research related stuff. Friendly environment, summer is the most fun part of the year.
stress free
Marker (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB12 March 2018
Stress free position at the University when you are already going there every day. It's an easy way to make a little extra cash to help pay for gas and groceries.
Unexpected Tenure
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB10 March 2018
I was asked to teach on the extended education course the week after the courses had started and therefore I was very far behind where I should have been. I learned quickly that there not a lot of micro-managing and that I had to be proactive here. I enjoyed all of the students who were very polite, enthusiastic and hard working.
Pros
great pay
Cons
not much direction or support provided
University of Manitoba
Sessional Instructor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB7 March 2018
While a good employer overall, being a sessional instructor at the University of Manitoba isn't an ideal job. The pay is meager, there are no benifits, and courses are handed out based on seniority, not performance. In the end, I suppose the problem was with CUPE (the union for sessionals), and not the UofM as an institution.
Strong work environment
Assistant Basketball Coach (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB3 March 2018
The U of M is a fantastic place to work. All of the faculty and staff were very friendly. A typical day for me would begin in the morning and I would normally meet with the head coach to discuss practice. After that we would run practice followed by me running small individual and group workouts for players
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
lack of pay for assistant coach
University of Mnaitoba
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB1 March 2018
They are constantly restructuring the staff positions with each new head of the department This happens every 5 years so you never know where your job stands...not very good policy
Pros
the people are nice
Cons
the management not so much
Fun Place to Work
RESIDENT ADVISOR, STUDENT RESIDENCE (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB15 February 2018
- leadership experience
- you will learn a lot
- provides emotional support
- requires a lot of work-life balance, time-management
- gives you friends for life
Pros
flexible hours, leadership experience, bonding
Cons
stressful
It's a rabbit hole for post-doctoral fellows and graduate students
POST-DOCTORAL FELLOW (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB9 February 2018
Working at University of Manitoba as a post-doctoral fellow is like entering a sand dune. You just get sucked in without any hope of getting a permanent full-time position anywhere. The University has no program in place that can facilitate intake of trained personnel leading to brain drain.
Pros
Staff benefits are one of the best in industry. Good work-life balance
challenging work, continual learning
Mechanical Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg MB31 January 2018
The typical day was any but. Never knew what could come in the door. Always faced with new things to learn/research. Politics can hinder any growth and change or improvement are slow. Great work life balance. Great benefits.
Pros
Self directed with no supervision
Cons
No growth
Good
Student Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB31 January 2018
Coworkers and boss are great people to work with. I learned a lot about research and graduate studies. I was able to assist in every task that I wanted to which was awesome.
voluntary position
Student Improvisational Coach (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB22 January 2018
Loved my time at the UofM. Was not an official position, rather a student lead initiative therefore there is not much more to add here. Indeed would like me to add at least 150 characters to move forward.
Fantastic environment to work, even better co-workers
Swim Instructor/Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  University of Manitoba3 January 2018
Hours are flexible, your co-workers are amazing and the boss is great! This job will teach you how to function in new and unique environments that equip you for other real life situations.
Friendly Environment
Admissions Assistant (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB11 December 2017
Emailing, calling and working with students on a daily basis. You will be able to learn the basics of an office environment, while enjoying the workplace culture!
It's a post secondary institution
System Administrator (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB27 November 2017
It's a post secondary institution. There isn't a ton to say. They have good hours and it's a decent place to work. But it's hard to count on having a job at the end of the day and they really really really like sticking people on terms. I spent almost my entire time there on multiple terms.
I love working in UofM
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB20 November 2017
I held different positions in UofM. As better opportunities come, you are more than welcome to change positions or secondments.

Holiday, days off are AWESOME, no where else can give you 2 weeks off in Christmas and you GET PAID !! on top of your min 3 weeks vacation to start with ;) i know !

Benefits are wonderful, so far, better than public sector as my experience.

love all the family/personal days off, especially for sick family or kids. and all other entitlement are all listed in their site.

mat/pat leave is great with 45% top up from 55% EI for like 7 months.

one thing is, seniority doesn't really matter to them, they don't necessary fav the internal.. external applicants are welcome in lots of units and departments.

just be ready for a steady to busy environment, don't think you will get a job that is so free yet very best pay. reasonable pay with reasonable-to-high work load. which is already so hard to find

good luck!
A good place to work if you enjoy student interaction.
Communications (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB12 October 2017
The university offers a good salary and benefits, however, hard work and commitment are not typically recognized.
Workplace culture depends highly on which department you work for.
Great job to prepare for academia, annoying paperwork
Grader/Marker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB17 September 2017
I really enjoyed working as a grader while completing my undergrad. It let me grow as a student and as a writer. I disliked the way your hours were submitted as it was often a hassle.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Manitoba. Our community is ready to answer.

University of Manitoba Reviews by Location