University of Guelph

University of Guelph Employee Reviews

Research Assistant - great experience and networking as a master level student

Research Assistant - great experience and networking as a master level student. Wonderful supervisor/faculty support. Networked in role and role was shared during class, no interview was needed - a casual discussion about expectations and interests.

Pros

amazing faculty, support wonderful, applied skills, class based expansion with familiar professor, casual deadline window opposed to hard dates

Cons

deadlines hazy making time budgeting challenging

Worst job ever

Over worked and underpaid Management don't know what they are doingAll they care about is money Their staff mean othing to themOverall waist of time

Research jobs

Research assistants, technicians, lab service workers, and post-docs are very under paid. You can work a maximum of 35 hours a week, no potential for overtime. You end up making only slightly more than a minimum wage worker who works 40 hours a week. Your work environment depends completely on the faculty you work for, can range from very toxic to very good. If you are going to work here pursue an administrative, office, or facilities role, they are actually paid well.

Cons

Low pay, no benefits, 2 paid sick days.

Hospitality services at the UofG as a high school student

My experience here was great. Not having a smart serve reduced my amount of shifts. Definitely a codependent job, met lots of great people. The hours may be random since they are based on events but for me that worked well with my schedule.

Pros

Social, accepting environment

Cons

Fast paced, can be stressful at first

Great workplace that supports their employees.

The University of Guelph values and respects its employees, regardless of their role. I felt that my ideas were taken seriously. They have excellent people in management roles as well as a good representation of women in senior leadership positions.

Pros

Gender diversity, good pay.

Cons

Poor work-life balance.

love this job

flexible hours with even pay. great workspace and minimal commitment. i learned valuable communication skill and enhanced my ability to speak with a variety of individuals and groups

Great university, lots to learn

Easy to learn, collaborative, great school. Their engineering program compared to others is great because of their co-op connections, definitely apply to co-op if you are considering!

Student Job

Having a student job at the university is a great place to gain more experience and extra money during the school year. Can only apply for this job is you are a student at the University

Pros

experience

Cons

temperary

Event Staff

Great experience for students looking for an on campus job. The pay is average but you work with other students which makes for a great working environment.

Productive and Rewarding

Working with the administration has its benefits. You get to meet a lot of new people, such as prospective students and also the staff at the University.

Jobs at University of Guelph

See more jobs

sadly stressful, very gossipy, often hateful workers relations

I quit working at Hospitality Services after two years there, Really enjoyed working there and did a good job :) Liked a lot to work with students :) quit due to very unfair treatment from management side and actively hostile work environment, co - workers acting in bullying fashion, tolerated and promoted even, by management, was sorry to quit that job :(

fun place to work at

Love working with the union flexible hours easy, and fun environment to work in everyone is friendly love my boss- she's amazing not stressful at all

Excellent work Environment

It's amazing place to work! The University give a lots of opportunities for the employees to learn and improve our lives. The benefits and pension are awesome!

Online work experience

Good teaching work experience. Learned to be very clear and specific with answering questions to students and marking assignments. Assignment marking is demanding at times.

Good on campus job

Works around your school schedule. Fun way to make cash and be involved with GH. Get used to talking to crowds because you will be needing to do campus tours

Research in Plant biology

University of Guelph has an inclusive environment and Faculty willing to engage and teach students. Employees are given their fair credit and workplace culture is relaxed and professional.

Workplace and environment with honeybees

During the course of my career I have been exposed to projects with emphasis on natural, nontoxic approaches to beekeeping and I have been also involved on research projects on bee behavior, queen rearing, bee pathology and beekeeping technology. Of particular importance was the responsibility placed on me as the main researcher in the project on methods of application of natural acaricides to honey bee colonies in association with the University of Guelph in Ontario, Canada. The most enjoyable part of my job is being outside and helping honeybees for their health.

If you think you'll like teaching, try to TA

TA'ing was a great experience. As always, it depends on the course and the professor as to how relaxed your semester will be - some profs can be so disorganized it's a nightmare to stay on track with large class sizes.

Decent culture but poor leadership

Working with colleagues helps you out with the work load but, the management team to lead us is poor. Communications with the staff and the managers is poor. When we tell our concerns about our job, they don't make it as a priority.

good work/study balance for students

good work/study balance for students management is good and cooperative with students upon graduation, they give a nice card to appreciate the services

Good school, Nice work environment

Good school, Nice work environment. Friendly co-workers, flexible hours, management genuinely cares about their staff. Actually depends on the professor you work for and the research group you are in.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Guelph. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.4