University of Guelph Employee Reviews

Great work experience
Research project student (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON8 June 2018
Had a great work experience with the advisor I chose, not always the case with some people;
Acquired lots of valuable research and lab experience;
Very flexible hours, however much time put in reflected quality of work.
My Experience
Corn Breeding Technician (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON8 May 2018
If on contract it is tough to get permanent. If unionized, advancement can be a challenge if you don't have seniority. Nice relaxed atmosphere that promotes learning.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Job Security
fast-paced and friendly environment
Student Caller (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON1 May 2018
- Called potential applicants and told them about University of Guelph events, culture, and lifestyle
- Answered any questions they had about the university or their program of interest
Cons
long hours with limited bread
Great environment, but ...
Development Assistant (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON1 May 2018
I was on campus a long time and thoroughly enjoyed the environment and being a part of an organization making real change in the world. However, due to the various union rules on campus and terrible managers in certain departments, working at the University of Guelph can be very stressful.
Benefits
Cons
Parking, bad managers, too many unions
A welcoming and supportive environment
Banquet Server and Bartender (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON25 April 2018
Managers with hospitality are wonderful and easy to work with. The workload is exactly what you would expect from banquet serving. Hours are based on events, so a second job during the summer would be recommended. Great for students.
great group of people to work with
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON19 April 2018
very busy, learned to work quickly and efficiently, and to delegate. most enjoyable were the people i worked with and the students. energetic and full of knowledge. most difficult part of the job was keeping up with the orders when it got really busy. very diverse and upbeat workplace.
Pros
free lunches, and the people
Cons
constant business
Great staff!
Lifeguard and Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON14 April 2018
Great place to work and make long lasting friends. Hours are short for lifegaurding but pay is decent. Make more money for teaching private lessons. Hours of work could start as early as 5:30 am.
Best Place to Work
Student Services Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 March 2018
This place gives you an amazing work life balance along with great benefits and fun work environment. The people are very nice and do not make you feel bad for not knowing things.
Exciting Job
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON6 March 2018
Working as Teaching and Research Assistant is always very exciting. I loved my work. The professors were friendly and helpful. Besides, the salary was perfect for a student.
Great place to work!
Graduate Research and Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON21 February 2018
The University of Guelph is a relaxed and friendly place to work. There are lots of opportunities to learn and grow, and the university has very advanced equipment. The staff are really good about addressing safety concerns.
Fun and engaging workplace
PEER HELPER (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON16 February 2018
As a student I learned valuable real word applications at the Wellness Education Centre and I love being part of an amazing team. I have learned how to create promotional material e.g. posters, educated others on wellness topics by staffing informational boards and co-ordinating workshops, answered phone calls at the centre, attend team meetings and delegating tasks to others.
Fun place to work
Computer Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ridgetown, ON9 February 2018
Great place to work! Very accommodating to my course load with classes. A typical day at work was very relaxing and fun while interacting with Students.
Good Workplace
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON4 February 2018
Excellent place to learn and develop new laboratory skills. The workplace is very pleasant and provides a good work/life balance. The people are nice to work with. Job security can be subject to grant funds availability however.
Awesome place to work
Field Crop Pest Management Research Technician (Current Employee) –  Ridgetown, ON30 January 2018
The only problem is I worked in research....completely funded by outside monies...our funding ran out...my job was done.

Best place i have ever worked, hands down. I will miss it dearly.
So much fun, really enjoyable shifts
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON20 January 2018
Most people say "a jobs a job" and that everyone dislikes their jobs but working at the University I tended to disagree, I loved working there and was always excited for my shifts
Pros
free lunches
Cons
seasonal
Productive workplace, great atmosphere conducive to learning
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON13 January 2018
I have learnt many skills from the various jobs I've obtained from the university. The management staff is wonderful. Employers always put the safety of their employees first and are very hands-on throughout the work term. The most enjoyable part of the job would be the teams that I've worked with throughout the years.
Research project
Public Relations Officer (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON4 January 2018
I was hired by a research project within the University, so my experiences were very specific to the project team, rather than the university as a whole.
Lots of independence
Research Assistant (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON10 December 2017
Flexible work hours as long as the minimum number of work hours per week are met. Sufficient resources are available in case of any issues that inevitably arise while performing experiments.
Beautiful campus, friendly people
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON14 November 2017
The University has one of the most beautiful campuses in Canada. The staff are friendly and helpful. The facilities are excellent, particularly any research related to agri-food industries.
Great
Residence Assistant (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON2 November 2017
Excellent way to give back to the school. Being apart of other students success is rewarding and the management team is very supportive to all their staff