University of Guelph

University of Guelph Employee Reviews

Canada249 reviews
My experience here was great. Not having a smart serve reduced my amount of shifts. Definitely a codependent job, met lots of great people. The hours may be random since they are based on events but for me that worked well with my schedule.
Pros
Social, accepting environment
Cons
Fast paced, can be stressful at first
Research assistants, technicians, lab service workers, and post-docs are very under paid. You can work a maximum of 35 hours a week, no potential for overtime. You end up making only slightly more than a minimum wage worker who works 40 hours a week.

Your work environment depends completely on the faculty you work for, can range from very toxic to very good.

If you are going to work here pursue an administrative, office, or facilities role, they are actually paid well.
Cons
Low pay, no benefits, 2 paid sick days.
The University of Guelph values and respects its employees, regardless of their role. I felt that my ideas were taken seriously. They have excellent people in management roles as well as a good representation of women in senior leadership positions.
Pros
Gender diversity, good pay.
Cons
Poor work-life balance.
flexible hours with even pay. great workspace and minimal commitment. i learned valuable communication skill and enhanced my ability to speak with a variety of individuals and groups
Easy to learn, collaborative, great school. Their engineering program compared to others is great because of their co-op connections, definitely apply to co-op if you are considering!
Having a student job at the university is a great place to gain more experience and extra money during the school year. Can only apply for this job is you are a student at the University
Pros
experience
Cons
temperary
Great experience for students looking for an on campus job. The pay is average but you work with other students which makes for a great working environment.
Working with the administration has its benefits. You get to meet a lot of new people, such as prospective students and also the staff at the University.
I quit working at Hospitality Services after two years there, Really enjoyed working there and did a good job :)
Liked a lot to work with students :)

quit due to very unfair treatment from management side and actively hostile work environment, co - workers acting in bullying fashion, tolerated and promoted even, by management,

was sorry to quit that job :(
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at University of Guelph?
Love working with the union
flexible hours

easy, and fun environment to work in

everyone is friendly

love my boss- she's amazing

not stressful at all
It's amazing place to work! The University give a lots of opportunities for the employees to learn and improve our lives. The benefits and pension are awesome!
Good teaching work experience. Learned to be very clear and specific with answering questions to students and marking assignments. Assignment marking is demanding at times.
Works around your school schedule. Fun way to make cash and be involved with GH. Get used to talking to crowds because you will be needing to do campus tours
University of Guelph has an inclusive environment and Faculty willing to engage and teach students. Employees are given their fair credit and workplace culture is relaxed and professional.
During the course of my career I have been exposed to projects with emphasis on natural, nontoxic approaches to beekeeping and I have been also involved on research projects on bee behavior, queen rearing, bee pathology and beekeeping technology. Of particular importance was the responsibility placed on me as the main researcher in the project on methods of application of natural acaricides to honey bee colonies in
association with the University of Guelph in Ontario, Canada. The most enjoyable part of my job is being outside and helping honeybees for their health.
TA'ing was a great experience. As always, it depends on the course and the professor as to how relaxed your semester will be - some profs can be so disorganized it's a nightmare to stay on track with large class sizes.
Working with colleagues helps you out with the work load but, the management team to lead us is poor. Communications with the staff and the managers is poor. When we tell our concerns about our job, they don't make it as a priority.
good work/study balance for students
management is good and cooperative with students

upon graduation, they give a nice card to appreciate the services
Good school, Nice work environment.
Friendly co-workers, flexible hours, management genuinely cares about their staff. Actually depends on the professor you work for and the research group you are in.
The animal bio science department is a great place to be
The staff is great

the professors/ advisers however are extremely exigent

2 great places on campus to grab a coffee
A typical day at work was following protocols and setting up experiments during lab hours and sometimes worked overtime. Learned to be very independent as projects were solo projects and improved my time management skills. Most enjoyable part of the job was showing up and working due to how kind and supportive my coworkers were.