University of Calgary Employee Reviews

Pretty good
Summer Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 May 2018
-its childcare (summer camps) so they pay by the day
-often found myself staying past camp closing time to clean up
-you better like kids if you apply for this job cause you're with children for the whole day
-otherwise my boss really cared for us and made sure we were in "tiptop" shape every week
Annual Giving Campaign - Student
Student Leader, Caller and Researcher (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 May 2018
This was a fantastic position to hold as a student. I was able to control my hours and gain experience in different roles. It also taught me skills I could use after completing my degree.
Work culture is bit not in my personal taste. Very bureaucratic
Executive MBA IT Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 May 2018
I was a part-time employee and my interaction was limited with the rest of the employees as I worked on weekends and I was alone working most of the weekends.
Pros
Free lunch for my role, not for all, stress free work culture
Cons
Not acceptable to changes and pretty hierarchical
Didn't like my supervisor
Teaching Assistant & Grad (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 May 2018
Being a TA / grad student naturally comes with very low pay ($20,000 minus tuition fees) but that would have been okay if my professor respected me and didn't have approximately the worst communication skills in the world.
Pros
Prof has limited ability to compel you to work on a project whose goals he can't explain, If you stick with it you can get a Master's or PhD
Cons
Low pay, little chance of advancement
It was a nightmare
Faculty Member (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB and Qatar2 May 2018
My experience at UC was horrible. Terrible leadership -- bully, favoritism, ask you to do something and then rip you to shreds for doing it. I have nothing positive to say about this nightmare except GOOD RIDDANCE
Pros
Cons
everything
Camp Counselor
Camp Counselor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 April 2018
Every day it is your responsibility to take the kids to their various activities all across the campus. Great coworkers as well as a fun environment. A bit demanding on certain days
Solid
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 April 2018
Good place to study and work. Some of the decisions made by the faculty members are questionable and dont serve well. As a student i felt pretty much on my own here.
Good to work when study
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 April 2018
It was nice working there during mu graduate study. I know lots of classmates and true friends. I learned a lot from there. Also there are lots of memory.
Committed
Continuing Review Officer / Research Services (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 April 2018
Appreciated the dynamics and leadership.
Short of funding for overall objectives.
Many commendable projects which made it very interesting and motivated to support.
Pros
Tuition support
Cons
Never done work
A very creative and open position
Creative Director (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 April 2018
This position allowed me to work my creativity into the work place. Worked on loads of projects that allowed me to bring into life my original ideas. I was constantly encouraged to share my ideas.
culture
Acting Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 March 2018
The university is like a small city with a close knit community of employees. There are opportunities to move around into different positions. It has a culture of respect and openness.
Medical Student OSCE Examiner (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 March 2018
I participate in the examination process once a year for the University's medical school. These exams are well-run by the University and I enjoy participating.
Leaning experience
Teaching Assistant Staff (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 March 2018
Work/life balance was good. Learned a lot while teaching.Presentation skills and handling students make one more confident. While handling three classes, time management was a key and hence was able to create good timetable to make use of the time in a very productive way. After class teaching assistance that was needed to guide students was quite interesting and conversation skills improve by listening to their problem and giving feedbacks.
a fun place to learn
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 February 2018
The University of Calgary is one of the top university in Canada with experienced professors in all departments and university gets a lot of research funds helping the student to pursue their research dreams.
Excellent workplace, lack of incentive to move up
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 February 2018
My specific department is full of great people, although I know there are many departments where this is not the case. The university is great at facilitating a wonderful work/life balance, however largely due to the unionized nature of the organization, incentive and ability to move up in the organization is stunted.
Pros
work life balance
Cons
lack of support for upward movement
Fun and productive
Energy Modeller/Sustainability Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 February 2018
A place to work and grow your career. There are lots of opportunities for career development. The most enjoyable part of the job is collaborating with team members on sustainability projects.
Lackluster environment, pay and perks
Student Support (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 February 2018
The University of Calgary advertises great 100% medical benefits and good salaries. However, it's deceptive. Benefits are 100% up to small maximums (i.e. $30 per chiro appointment), so you end up using your entire HSA fairly quickly to cover the difference. The pension is a mandatory contribution of >10% of your gross salary, so say good bye to $400+ per month. Ultimately, my take home salary is equivalent to $10k less anywhere else with minimum benefits to make up for it.

As for work, it's a typical union environment where sub-par employees hang on and you won't get opportunities to build your skills outside of your job description. They do offer the UAdvance program which is a series of good professional development courses. But there are few jobs at the SPAIII level, so expect a bottle neck on advancement early in your career (depending on what level you start at).

Certain offices can be isolated from other staff, so it's difficult to get to know co-workers/network, even with people in your same role but different departments.

Unless you're solely focused on a post-secondary career, I would say look elsewhere for better development, pay and benefits.
Pros
Tuition benefits, union-mandated annual raises
Cons
High pay deductions, lack of opportunity
dgh
Students Union, Yoga Instructor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 January 2018
Wonderful Yoga studio in Calgary. It is for members only and the classes are smaller in size. It is very well organized and classes are adjusted for every level. the instructores are very educated .
Love working for this University
Central Services Clerk (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 January 2018
Love the work I do, my co-workers (team) and my supervisor/manager. This group of people are easily approachable and listen as well as work together. We all take pride in working for the University. Great work/Life balance. Great hours and benefits.
Pros
No O/T, No weekend or evenings.
Cons
no room for advancement
learning organization
Project Administrator/Human Resource Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 January 2018
during my job experience I became a skilled and adaptable Project Coordinator, with experience in implementing and overseeing change. Gained a proven track record of exceeding performance expectations, remaining goal focused and adhering to budgets and timescales. Ability to bring about the fundamental aims needed in response to unforeseeable changes. Strong strategic vision; along with the ability to successfully deliver complex multi-track projects.
Pros
mentorships
Cons
no room for growth