University of Calgary

University of Calgary Employee Reviews

Canada304 reviews
Department is Key
Working for the University of Calgary has been terrific, and I have been fortunate enough to work with a very collaborative and inspiring team. My understanding from other staff is that being a part of the right team with the right managers is key to how successful and satisfied you are at the University.
Enjoyed my time at the U of C
Enjoyed working at the U of C. Great team to work with
Parking was expensive, did not have a set schedule so could not count on it to pay the bills.
Research based positions are interesting
Unfortunately academic advisors are not held to employment standards of public enterprises. My advisor was burdened by a teaching schedule, his own research and research and it was not really a complete project at the end of the research.
An excellent place to learn and grow in a supportive environment
A great place to develop professional skills as a graduate student with aspirations to delve further in to a professional career. I found it a great atmosphere to expand in my field and learned a plethora of interpersonal skills.
Pros
Inclusive and supportive
Cons
Long hours but you get what you put in to it.
Great atmosphere with lots of opportunities
Structured and fair treatment of employees. Room for growth and enjoying opportunities for expanding skill set. Management was very encouraging and supportive. Great place to work
Great Place to work
Great work life balance, and good people to work with. Very supportive supervisors. Good work environment and open to different point of view. recommend working here
Company so used to lay off staff
Never a secure job at U of C due to often lay off. Company started ridding off by hiring temporary and contract staffs than permanent ones. For contract staffs, U of C usually doesn’t extend the contract at the end of term.
Each department is a different experience created by managment
Overall, there are a lot of lifers at U of C which makes it a decent place to work in some departments. Individual managers make or break your success and stability. This is the case with all large institutions.
A Great Work Environment
I love working at the U of C's Student Calling Program. It is a very collaborative environment that brings people together from many different backgrounds. My job is interesting as a supervisor, because I get to work on a smattering of projects throughout my shift- administrative tasks, caller-support, making personal phone-calls to prospects whose donations were wrongly processed, etc. It can be stressful when you are the only one supervising a shift, but I enjoy it!
Excellent people
Cooking in a fast paced environment and dealing with the student body made for an enjoyable work environment. The head chef is an awesome person to hone and learn exciting skills.
Bullying is part of the norm and encouraged by senior management
It a good place to work if you dont mind having HR ask you to spy and report back to them information regarding your collegues.

Respect is not a given nor is it earned. If you play along you get along until you do not.
Boa Empresa
Muito legal, adorei estagiar na universidade, ótima equipe
Poor leadership in some departments
Fellow coworkers can be interesting and supportive but overall culture is determined by inconsistent leadership.
Good life-work balance and work environment outside of leadership.
Lots of bureaucracy, but good people to work with
Work-life balance is great, but lots of moving parts to working here. It's quite political, but most people are welcoming and nice. If you can navigate the politics, you will succeed.
productive
productive workplace - good management - friendly environment - competitive research environment - freedom to experience the idea that crossed my mind
Competitive and Collaborative
The job as a teaching assistant is same like a teacher. I have to take classes, clear the doubts if any student had. Encouraging the student to work in a group for laboratory to enhance team skills.
Pros
Interaction with Students which will help you with your communication skills
Cons
Data entry work in research accounting
A typical day involved getting in at 8:30, working for a couple hours, a coffee break, a couple more hours, lunch, work, break, then home. The days flew by!
Great place
Great place to learn and grow as a professional.
Lots to learn, with a busy atmosphere. If you enjoy being busy, and being around experienced professionals, this is the place for you
Good work life balance
Lots to learn about the academic and union culture. Good work life balance. Lots of opportunity to learn from the research being done which is unique benefit.
Great learning environment
Great learning environment, professional and courteous staff. Lots of interaction with students. Big place and lots of work and educational advancement opportunities.
Custodian
I worked at the university of Calgary, Ji I cleaned residence apartments, top to bottom making beds, bathrooms, floors walls. Cleaned dressers inside and out. Great place to work.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Calgary. Our community is ready to answer.
University of Calgary Reviews by Location