University of Calgary Employee Reviews

Bad management, low pay, high stress
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Alberta18 August 2018
Very high expectations from disorganized and unreasonable managers; they continually add work responsibilies to your position without any increase to wages or approved working hours. End up volunteering your personal time to meet research goals as they do not properly account for the amount of hours needed to do the job properly. Extremely high stress for part-time hours which leads to a terrible work/life balance as you need multiple jobs to make ends meet. Very limited opportunities for advancement into a full-time position.
Salary versus Employment Expectations
Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 July 2018
The most difficult part of the job is that salaries are low in relation to experience and workplace duties as compared to other academic settings in Canada. The most enjoyable part of the job is that you can work independently and make the job your own.
I think being a research assistant can be difficult or easy.
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 July 2018
It always goes back to the professor who hires you as a research assistant. If you get a bad one, then you will follow his work ethic. If he/she is a good professor, you may work really hard for your project.
Pros
Vacation rule can be a little slacking here...
Cons
Work is not supervised sometimes...
Vibrant and resourceful university
MSc Researcher, Biochemistry & Molecular Biology (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 July 2018
Working hours as a MSc student varied between 6-14 hours per day , depending on the experimental load and the availability of equipment, and the research progress.
Pros
Resourceful, Univeristy has a vision to be in the top 5 universities in Canada
Cons
Campus is huge
Too much favoritism from the management in Finance team
Finance Partner (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 July 2018
Associate directors and directors in the finance team are people who were promoted without a proper training.
The environment is toxic in a way, there are too many favoritism going on and management will replace people like they are parts in the car.
Not good place to apply nor try to work.
A bit higher compensation may look attractive; however, management think they deserve to slave their staff.
Overtime with no pay is well expected, and lot of people are complaining in the back office.
Management puts double face in the public meeting, but always plan to fire people when they either don't like them or something goes wrong and needing a escape goat.
Pros
Tuition support
Cons
Toxic culture, Cold and careless management
A nice place to work with flexible schedule
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 July 2018
I worked as a research assistant in the faculty of social work investigating student's experience and level of preparedness in gerontology related courses.
Successful place to learn and upgrade.
RESEARCH ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 July 2018
This MEng program is often taken on a part-time basis and usually takes four to six years of part-time study beyond a bachelor's degree.
In a course-based program, all degree requirements are fulfilled by completing courses. These may include courses that involve a project, such as a major research paper or group project.
Pros
Ability to learn
Cons
Busy scheduled
teaching/research assistant
Teaching/Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 June 2018
the hardest part of the job was to write papers time and time again until it be accepted. most of the time it's just burning your brain and give you depression
Pros
free library
Cons
low income
Great location for work, beautiful grounds
Administrative & Infrastructure Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 May 2018
Generally a great place to work, but depending on the department/faculty. Some are deeply hierarchical and dysfunctional - others very positive and supportive!
Pros
Beautiful grounds
Cons
Lots of red tape
Pretty good
Summer Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 May 2018
-its childcare (summer camps) so they pay by the day
-often found myself staying past camp closing time to clean up
-you better like kids if you apply for this job cause you're with children for the whole day
-otherwise my boss really cared for us and made sure we were in "tiptop" shape every week

Want to know more about University of Calgary?

Ask a question
Annual Giving Campaign - Student
Student Leader, Caller and Researcher (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 May 2018
This was a fantastic position to hold as a student. I was able to control my hours and gain experience in different roles. It also taught me skills I could use after completing my degree.
Work culture is bit not in my personal taste. Very bureaucratic
Executive MBA IT Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 May 2018
I was a part-time employee and my interaction was limited with the rest of the employees as I worked on weekends and I was alone working most of the weekends.
Pros
Free lunch for my role, not for all, stress free work culture
Cons
Not acceptable to changes and pretty hierarchical
Didn't like my supervisor
Teaching Assistant & Grad (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 May 2018
Being a TA / grad student naturally comes with very low pay ($20,000 minus tuition fees) but that would have been okay if my professor respected me and didn't have approximately the worst communication skills in the world.
Pros
Prof has limited ability to compel you to work on a project whose goals he can't explain, If you stick with it you can get a Master's or PhD
Cons
Low pay, little chance of advancement
It was a nightmare
Faculty Member (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB and Qatar2 May 2018
My experience at UC was horrible. Terrible leadership -- bully, favoritism, ask you to do something and then rip you to shreds for doing it. I have nothing positive to say about this nightmare except GOOD RIDDANCE
Pros
Cons
everything
Camp Counselor
Camp Counselor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 April 2018
Every day it is your responsibility to take the kids to their various activities all across the campus. Great coworkers as well as a fun environment. A bit demanding on certain days
Solid
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 April 2018
Good place to study and work. Some of the decisions made by the faculty members are questionable and dont serve well. As a student i felt pretty much on my own here.
Good to work when study
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 April 2018
It was nice working there during mu graduate study. I know lots of classmates and true friends. I learned a lot from there. Also there are lots of memory.
Committed
Continuing Review Officer / Research Services (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 April 2018
Appreciated the dynamics and leadership.
Short of funding for overall objectives.
Many commendable projects which made it very interesting and motivated to support.
Pros
Tuition support
Cons
Never done work
A very creative and open position
Creative Director (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 April 2018
This position allowed me to work my creativity into the work place. Worked on loads of projects that allowed me to bring into life my original ideas. I was constantly encouraged to share my ideas.
culture
Acting Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 March 2018
The university is like a small city with a close knit community of employees. There are opportunities to move around into different positions. It has a culture of respect and openness.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Calgary. Our community is ready to answer.

University of Calgary Reviews by Location