University of Calgary

University of Calgary Employee Reviews

Employment at the UofC Faculty of Nursing is probably the best job I ever had. The leadership were excellent, the work life balance was well managed, and there were many opportunities for professional, personal, and health and wellness development. I would return to work there at any time if I had the opportunity.
Pros
continuous learning environment, engaging and collaborative workplace
Cons
required unpaid hours for lesson prep, experienced precarious employment as a contract sessional instructor
The supervisor looks for one mistake over nine of your accomplishment. This manager of mine never considered the majority of your "Job Well Done" but rather looks at your "Once in a Blue Moon" error due to stress. Then the Union doesn't care about your complaints. Union (AUPE) is more concerned with your regular Union Fees. HR never considered your issues in your workplace. This supervisor and his subordinates (two consultants) have several complaints filed against them with the Union but nothing happened resulting to frequent turnovers.
Pros
Benefits, Christmas Time Off
Cons
Discrimination
Your day depends upon where you are working since the University offers a vast amount opportunities to work at, where I used to volunteer the work wasn't that much tiring and the staff was pretty helpful at addressing all our doubts
I would say It was good working at the Residence services at the university of calgary as a fire warden of the dorm wings, i had a good time volunteering here.
The University of Calgary has a progressive work environment that is inviting, enjoyable and rewarding. I thoroughly enjoyed working and collaborating with a talented team of individuals who were smart, kind and willing to share their knowledge with others. I learned a lot in my time with the University and would highly recommend working here.
Working for the University of Calgary has been terrific, and I have been fortunate enough to work with a very collaborative and inspiring team. My understanding from other staff is that being a part of the right team with the right managers is key to how successful and satisfied you are at the University.
Enjoyed working at the U of C. Great team to work with Parking was expensive, did not have a set schedule so could not count on it to pay the bills.
Unfortunately academic advisors are not held to employment standards of public enterprises. My advisor was burdened by a teaching schedule, his own research and research and it was not really a complete project at the end of the research.
A great place to develop professional skills as a graduate student with aspirations to delve further in to a professional career. I found it a great atmosphere to expand in my field and learned a plethora of interpersonal skills.
Pros
Inclusive and supportive
Cons
Long hours but you get what you put in to it.
Structured and fair treatment of employees. Room for growth and enjoying opportunities for expanding skill set. Management was very encouraging and supportive. Great place to work
Great work life balance, and good people to work with. Very supportive supervisors. Good work environment and open to different point of view. recommend working here
Never a secure job at U of C due to often lay off. Company started ridding off by hiring temporary and contract staffs than permanent ones. For contract staffs, U of C usually doesn’t extend the contract at the end of term.
Overall, there are a lot of lifers at U of C which makes it a decent place to work in some departments. Individual managers make or break your success and stability. This is the case with all large institutions.
I love working at the U of C's Student Calling Program. It is a very collaborative environment that brings people together from many different backgrounds. My job is interesting as a supervisor, because I get to work on a smattering of projects throughout my shift- administrative tasks, caller-support, making personal phone-calls to prospects whose donations were wrongly processed, etc. It can be stressful when you are the only one supervising a shift, but I enjoy it!
Cooking in a fast paced environment and dealing with the student body made for an enjoyable work environment. The head chef is an awesome person to hone and learn exciting skills.
It a good place to work if you dont mind having HR ask you to spy and report back to them information regarding your collegues. Respect is not a given nor is it earned. If you play along you get along until you do not.
Muito legal, adorei estagiar na universidade, ótima equipe
Fellow coworkers can be interesting and supportive but overall culture is determined by inconsistent leadership. Good life-work balance and work environment outside of leadership.
Work-life balance is great, but lots of moving parts to working here. It's quite political, but most people are welcoming and nice. If you can navigate the politics, you will succeed.
productive workplace - good management - friendly environment - competitive research environment - freedom to experience the idea that crossed my mind
The job as a teaching assistant is same like a teacher. I have to take classes, clear the doubts if any student had. Encouraging the student to work in a group for laboratory to enhance team skills.
Pros
Interaction with Students which will help you with your communication skills