University of Calgary

Working at University of Calgary: Employee Reviews

Canada338 reviews

universityuofcstudentprofessorteachingcampusfacultyassistant

Residence services cleaner

The job is easy and as long as the people are doing it there is not much issues. Only thing is depending on how the student act in there area the job is easy or a little hard if issues arise but for the most part the job is straight forward.

Professional and supportive workplace

I've worked with U of C now for almost 2 years instructing online asynchronous courses. The administrative staff has been professional, supportive, and responsive. They are flexible when I or students need some kind of change. They have clearly defined systems and supports for instructors. The only thing I'd like is the ability to move up somehow.

Insights into University of Calgary

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Support from manager
  • Energizing work tasks

Productive and fun place to work with great networking opportunities

UofC is a great place to work and develop both knowledge and skills. Working with security management was a great experience, the team is very collaborative and helpful, and are eager to help you exceed.

nice place to work

Workload is not much but a great experience I had as a phd student. Typically due to covid the normal working hour was reduced and mostly work from home was done.

Pros

Team work

Cons

Less productive

A stopover until finding a better position

Try to make the most of your time by picking up new skills if possible, because the low salary will make you desperate to find a better job. Depending on the supervisor, you may end up acting more like a project manager than a researcher, which is not necessarily bad because those are transferable skills, but make sure you're willing to deal with that.

do it if ur old

I liked the work but sadly it was boring. It is a place to work at if you are old but if you are young and career driven than this is not the place you.

Productive, research focused

A great place to learn and grow. Lots of time commitment but great people and great projects. The work and the people are what truly make it amazing to work here.

Great part time gig as a student

Many collaborative opportunities and flexible hours as a part time research assistant. Can be a great position for a student who is looking to get more involved in their field of interest.

Good experience for your resume

I worked as a TA during the last two semesters of my undergrad. It was good experience and I enjoyed revisiting material from courses I had taken the previous year. The amount of work you get depends on your instructor. As an undergraduate student, I was given a scholarship for my work with predefined value.

Pros

Work at your own pace, professor is pretty flexible

Cons

having to balance time to mark reports and other course work

University of Calgary

The work environment is not good. There is not easy to get engaged in the work. I do not even get an orientation. People are not friendly, and none care for anyone else.

Technical work - great place to learn.

Relaxed work environment as long as you are doing your work. Great management & team. Pay reflects the work done. Appreciated working from home during Covid & continuing hybrid-style.

Fun workplace

Fun workplace with opportunities for advancement. Managers are there to support you, which is nice. Only downside is mandatory swim lessons, which deters a lot of people from working here.

Good Benefit

Good Pay with good Benefit. Nice team members and supportive to each other. Everyone likes a family. But if the rule was always changed, you have to learn to accept the change.

Really enjoyed working here. Management was very supportive and learned a lot during my time here. I wish they had more full-time permanent positions.

Internal applicants preferred

I got the job after completing my master's degree. They hire a lot of internal applicants, so it can be difficult if you are applying externally. If you are interested in working in research, it is sometimes better to reach out to the lab you are interested in and see if you can get your foot in the door by volunteering. After that you work your way up.

Pros

decent pay, unionized benefits (if regular employee), 7 hour work days, 35 hour work week, can look up pay for all jobs offered

Cons

difficult if you are applying externally, might start out at a lower pay grade, variable culture depending on your PI/manager

decent place to work, supporting teams are very nice. but it can be stressful

If you are in Union, the job is safe, but they still laid off people when the budget is cut. due to the curtailment, always understaffed and my team, 3 people (before was 2) doing work for 4 people, we are busy for more than 6 months per year, and we work overtime almost every day. It was nice before the the government cut the budget, but it seems impossible to go back to before.Keep receiving emails, and work work work. meetings, unnecessary meetings all the time. My team have friendly people, which is nice, just too much work

Pros

Friendly people, if you have a good manager

Cons

a high volume of work

Great place to work.

The best job I ever had. Great benefits and opportunities. The U of C provides wonderful opportunities to further your education. Wonderful work culture.

Pros

Respect built culture. Autonomy Opportunities for advancement Tuition support

A good place to start your career

It was really fun working here, I learned a lot as someone who was very new to working professionally at the time I was there. If you are starting out and you are also a student here, you will probably have a good chance of getting in.

Pros

Friendly coworkers, good management, flexible

Cons

Sometimes the job is quite monotonous

Just a job

Deal with student is easy but deal with faculties is not so easy. And they can treat you like a slaves. Tons of directions need to follow. When you had time conflicts, they made you feel like you owe their money:(

Great research staff and a fun place to turn hobbies into something a little more lucrative. You just need to be confident and find the right people to network with in order to go far. Not a bad place by any stretch of the imagination.

Fun Workplace

Worked as a summer camp instructor for children at the university of Calgary You get to make your own activities and its really fun playing and creating activities with children

Pros

Work with the kiddos

Cons

Non

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Calgary. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare University of Calgary with

University of Calgary reviews by location

Learn about University of Calgary in popular locations