University of Calgary Employee Reviews

Committed
Continuing Review Officer / Research Services (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 April 2018
Appreciated the dynamics and leadership.
Short of funding for overall objectives.
Many commendable projects which made it very interesting and motivated to support.
Pros
Tuition support
Cons
Never done work
A very creative and open position
Creative Director (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 April 2018
This position allowed me to work my creativity into the work place. Worked on loads of projects that allowed me to bring into life my original ideas. I was constantly encouraged to share my ideas.
culture
Acting Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 March 2018
The university is like a small city with a close knit community of employees. There are opportunities to move around into different positions. It has a culture of respect and openness.
Medical Student OSCE Examiner (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 March 2018
I participate in the examination process once a year for the University's medical school. These exams are well-run by the University and I enjoy participating.
Leaning experience
Teaching Assistant Staff (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 March 2018
Work/life balance was good. Learned a lot while teaching.Presentation skills and handling students make one more confident. While handling three classes, time management was a key and hence was able to create good timetable to make use of the time in a very productive way. After class teaching assistance that was needed to guide students was quite interesting and conversation skills improve by listening to their problem and giving feedbacks.
a fun place to learn
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 February 2018
The University of Calgary is one of the top university in Canada with experienced professors in all departments and university gets a lot of research funds helping the student to pursue their research dreams.
Excellent workplace, lack of incentive to move up
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 February 2018
My specific department is full of great people, although I know there are many departments where this is not the case. The university is great at facilitating a wonderful work/life balance, however largely due to the unionized nature of the organization, incentive and ability to move up in the organization is stunted.
Pros
work life balance
Cons
lack of support for upward movement
Fun and productive
Energy Modeller/Sustainability Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 February 2018
A place to work and grow your career. There are lots of opportunities for career development. The most enjoyable part of the job is collaborating with team members on sustainability projects.
Lackluster environment, pay and perks
Student Support (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 February 2018
The University of Calgary advertises great 100% medical benefits and good salaries. However, it's deceptive. Benefits are 100% up to small maximums (i.e. $30 per chiro appointment), so you end up using your entire HSA fairly quickly to cover the difference. The pension is a mandatory contribution of >10% of your gross salary, so say good bye to $400+ per month. Ultimately, my take home salary is equivalent to $10k less anywhere else with minimum benefits to make up for it.

As for work, it's a typical union environment where sub-par employees hang on and you won't get opportunities to build your skills outside of your job description. They do offer the UAdvance program which is a series of good professional development courses. But there are few jobs at the SPAIII level, so expect a bottle neck on advancement early in your career (depending on what level you start at).

Certain offices can be isolated from other staff, so it's difficult to get to know co-workers/network, even with people in your same role but different departments.

Unless you're solely focused on a post-secondary career, I would say look elsewhere for better development, pay and benefits.
Pros
Tuition benefits, union-mandated annual raises
Cons
High pay deductions, lack of opportunity
dgh
Students Union, Yoga Instructor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 January 2018
Wonderful Yoga studio in Calgary. It is for members only and the classes are smaller in size. It is very well organized and classes are adjusted for every level. the instructores are very educated .
Love working for this University
Central Services Clerk (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 January 2018
Love the work I do, my co-workers (team) and my supervisor/manager. This group of people are easily approachable and listen as well as work together. We all take pride in working for the University. Great work/Life balance. Great hours and benefits.
Pros
No O/T, No weekend or evenings.
Cons
no room for advancement
learning organization
Project Administrator/Human Resource Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 January 2018
during my job experience I became a skilled and adaptable Project Coordinator, with experience in implementing and overseeing change. Gained a proven track record of exceeding performance expectations, remaining goal focused and adhering to budgets and timescales. Ability to bring about the fundamental aims needed in response to unforeseeable changes. Strong strategic vision; along with the ability to successfully deliver complex multi-track projects.
Pros
mentorships
Cons
no room for growth
Productive fun place to work
Executive Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 December 2017
I enjoyed the support staff.
Great work atmosphere
Like the grounds and walking around campus at lunch
U of C has many opportunities so one could move within departments.
Top Flight Leadership
Associate Registrar, Admissions & Recruitment (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 December 2017
The University of Calgary is one of the best research universities in Canada and the world. One of the greatest assets here is the people. What amazing people!
Pros
The people, the leadership
Cons
the pace is beyond what most people would expect
Research Associate on soft money
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 December 2017
A research associate position is basically a volunteer position which holds out the hope that sometime, someday you might be paid. There is no support for the position through the university - only the professor under whom you work controls that.
If you enjoy research for research's sake, it is fun to do, but do not expect recognition or financial rewards.
Pros
exciting research
Cons
zero institutional support or reward
Productive and a positive working environemt
GENERAL WORKER (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 November 2017
good hours, good people and good place to learn a little bit of everything,

hardest part was my actual labourer job lifting heavy objects.

most enjoyable was watching the progress as i worked.
Smart people, bad culture
Research (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 November 2017
You can work on interesting things. The people you work with can be smart. But its hard to trust your superiors. It is also a politically charged environment, in terms of public politics and internal politics. Conservative leaning.
Interface
Information Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 November 2017
Here my role was to manage the user expectations and the programmer capabilities. Scope creep arose as an issue on the project but I was able to get the project done on time and on budget.
good
International/Academic Student Advisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 November 2017
As an experienced double majors (a Bachelor in Business Administration and Education) holder, I am confident that a strong education background and excellent administrative skills combined with an extensive base of knowledge and experience to assist in meeting the organizational objectives.
Student (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 November 2017
I was a student, not a employee. This is a mistake that the system forced me to make comments yet I was not a employee. Not sure what do to? So sorry.h