University of British Columbia

University of British Columbia Employee Reviews

Excellent place to work. Beautiful weather and stunning location. A happy and balanced life. Supportive staff, readily available for support. Well organized and inclusive work culture
My work at UBCO was brief but enjoyable. I got to work with others that were in my group and developed surveys for student lead bodies on campus. It was an exciting experience!
The professors will motivate you to find your path and follow your dreams. They will be available at all times to answer any question to help you achieve greatness.
Great place to work, would recommend to anyone looking for a job in the medical field. Easy going staff, flexible with scheduling and easy to get along with patients.
Salary is above average considering location and good benefits. Plenty of vacation days. Beautiful campus. Great place for busy students to earn a lot.
The people are again the greatest asset in this job because they help you achieve the best in your job. The best part was the weekly meetings that allowed us to discuss anything in need and giving updates about work. Great place to work as a student!
Great benefits. Good work/life balance (depending on the department and team). HR cares about employee wellbeing. Exceptional opportunities for learning offered.
Great school with many programs available. Definitely recommended for someone who is interested in a business program. Students are from all across Canada.
I learned alot when I did a short internship at the university of British Columbia. It was a good place to start seeing how school can be applied in the real world.
UBC is a really big place to work in the lower mainland. As such it offers many exciting challenges, but the management culture from the VP's down is one of a very non-caring nature. They use people up and spit them up with relative ease. They also tend to admire mediocrity, as it makes their incompetence look better. Go for the challenge, but don't plan on staying. I'd suggest a contract/term, with a very focused goal, then get out.
Pros
challenge and opportunity to implement new technology
Cons
uncaring management team
I enjoyed teaching students. It was a great opportunity to improve my pedagogical skills.I enjoyed group discussions with the students. The professors that I assisted to were very helpful and always made me feel a part of big team.
Working at UBC Okanagan was a positive, life changing experience for the better. Fabulous people and wonderful oportunities. Wonderful opportunities for growth and change.
Pros
Wonderful opportunities for growth and change.
Cons
All good experiences.
Loved working here. Great work environment and friendly people. Amazing opportunity to pursue what you love and grow as a person. Would highly recommend.
UBC is one of the largest employers in BC. As such it attracts the best and the worst of people. If you land in a spot where your managers and peers are the best, UBC is the best place to work. Geographically beautiful, benefits are astounding, and the culture is positive. However, if you get railroaded into a team with toxic managers and disillusioned peers UBC can be an awful to work in. It's location means that either you have a long commute or you pay exorbitant cost of living prices to live near by. Then add to that the fact that the institution has "Section 9" of the collective agreement. This section gives the employer the right to terminate at any time, for any reason. I have seen this happen to far too many good people. As mentioned before, run afoul of a toxic manager, and you'll be run out on a rail with absolutely no recourse. Overall I give UBC a high rating because of the culture & benefits. But they really need to deal with unfair management practices.
Pros
Very flexible in terms of hours, good pay, relaxed atmosphere.
Cons
A few toxic managers, Section 9
It was not a pleasant memory for me. My supervisor forced me to quit what I wanted to do. Thus, I quit my doctoral project and moved to masters'. My funding was stopped without any notice.
Pros
Cons
N/a
A good place to work and grow!! If anyone with an education, wishes to be in a highly professional and secure work environment, I recommend them to apply for a position in their field at UBC.
Love working here but hard to move up within the university. Jobs are sparse and far in between. Being at a small campus allows for great connections within the community.
Organization is too huge for you to be able to make any significant impact. Day to day work is mostly mundane with limited opportunity to innovate. Benefits are good and so are your colleagues and the campus is beautiful.
Pros
colleagues, low stress
Cons
bureaucracy, competing priorities, no PD funds
The department I work for is 24/7. The wage does not reflect what other major universities are paying across Canada let alone across North America. I've been there over 10 years and have recieved a $3 raise.. to reflect my part time job gave me a $6 an hour raise with retro pay and appoligised that the raise took so long (4 years) . The university is a great place to work of you dont mind paying over $100 a month for parking and dont care if you get a raise or cost of living increase being that BC is the most expensive province to live in throughout all of Canada.. oh and if you want to advance in your field UBC is also not the place for you.
Pros
Stable unionized employment
Cons
Pitiful wage increases..almost no cost of living increases and zero career advancement
The University was resting on its laurels from the past. failed to engage with community and support for faculty and staff minimal. many students had a sense of entitlement and lacked motivation. Poor behavior mirrored in egocentric faculty
Pros
beautiful campus
Cons
no encouragement or support
Amazing group of people with different backgrounds, in which learning never ends. A typical work day for me was setting up events and gathering information from the public in regards to learning more about clinical trials and research. Also provided information about our company to local stakeholders.
benefits