University of British Columbia

University of British Columbia Employee Reviews

Excellent place to work. Beautiful weather and stunning location. A happy and balanced life. Supportive staff, readily available for support. Well organized and inclusive work culture
It was an immense privilege to work at UBC, in fact it was the best place I have ever worked. Until you are diagnosed with a mental illness. The University speaks highly about providing support to students struggling with a mental illness, and leads Canadian universities in the services provided. Unfortunately, this is not the same for staff. After a diagnosis of a mental illness and a short leave from the University, I found, I had to seek out my own treatment, using my own funding and when I was better able to cope and return, I found my role reduced and changed to the point of termination. It was an amazing place to work, but beware it has a dark side and despite, what it may claim, it does not make individuals struggling with a mental illness feel welcome, and will move to remove them from the University.
Advance Labs with an excellent opportunity to learn the state of the art technology. Good place for making good academic connections and beautiful campus
Pros
Beautiful campus
Cons
Very Expensive place to live
Well established research facilities and opportunities lift the candidate's profile and drive into do breakthrough in novel research directions. Well ranked and very welcoming.
It's very busy day to day with students and faculty - this is the best part of the job. I get to learn from everyone, even if that's not my intention. It just happens. Some cultures in other departments are more challenged in ethics.
Large organization with outdated processes, making improvements by implementing a new ERP system. Slow to change but good salaries, benefits, work/life balance.
The people you will work with are all good people. The work/life balance is also manageable as most people are understanding of this. Pay can be better, but is compensated with great benefits.
working at UBC was a great experience for me , in fact I had opportunity to work under knowledgeable and experienced supervisors, so I could boost my skills and knowledge.
they take care of their employees, making sure everyone takes their breaks and they even look for one worker if not in the lunch room, supervisors are helpful.
One of the worst place to work. Never Join UBC, Especially IT. UBC IT is one of the places where you can see people doing politics to the core. Most of the permanents are DOS-based old school IT guys. They never updated their knowledge or willingness to learn. If you are a contractor, Never ever think of Joining UBC.
Pros
Closer to Sea and Beaches
Cons
Politics, No Corporate Culture
The job pays very well, offers a flexible schedule allowing for travel during your time off. Many employees are students as well so it makes for a great company culture and many of the employees are now my good friends. Opportunity for advancement within the company, but not necessarily with your future.
Pros
Company culture, Good hours
Cons
Distance between managers and employees
This place has the worse staff working in the Faculty of Medicine. The accounting department gets threatened their job security when they don't comply to their managers. The only thing good at UBC is the wage and the benefits.
Such a horrible place to work in food services .the most Unorganized department at UBC ,stupid management Overall ,don’t care about workers .
Pros
You laid off in summer, no work, no guaranteed hours $income
Nice workplace and environement. Average pay with benefits. People are nice and easy, something might get a little busy but people around you are always helpful.
Excellent working environment. Having the freedom intellectually to learn and grow is the greatest benefit. The salary and benefits are excellent and job security is strong.
not difficult work but emotionally stressful because of how demanding the ask requirements are (3x regardless). if you can be emotionally detached, the benefits are good and it wont be too demanding.
Pros
good pay, stable
Cons
emotionally challenging for some
If your working with a professor - your skills must be intune with the specialty your in. Dental Assistants will have to advocate for better wages as we are over looked and always underpaid.
perfect job for Msc and Ph.D. students but time-consuming and low salary. It could be better if they raise the salary and give more opportunity to graduate students
Pros
working with first year students
Cons
heavy work
You get to meet a lot of new people and see a work environment in a stable and friendly environment. Strongly recommend for those who want to have fun
A place is more than a school where students freely interact with their PIs intellectually. It provides students with great core facilities. However, funding is always limited.
The best campus to work. Excellent people to work with. The professors are helpful. Fellow colleagues are nice and helpful. best experience for a graduate student.