University of British Columbia
Happiness score is 67 out of 100

University of British Columbia Employee Reviews

Excellent place to work. Beautiful weather and stunning location. A happy and balanced life. Supportive staff, readily available for support. Well organized and inclusive work culture
HR are bullies and so very toxic. I’ve never seen anything like this before. I’ve seen several long term staff get disciplined or fired for being injured on the job. As soon as your injured ( at work!!!) they will lie and cheat to get rid of you..... Do not work here. UBCO’s HR is toxic.
The University of British Columbia are located in a very good place with beaches. Also, people here are very kind and helpful to other people with professional experience.
I love my job because everyone shares the same vision and is dedicated to the mission I love that I have a great degree of control and freedom within my job.
I was hired to take notes/read out loud/study with my fellow students who had learning disabilities such as brain injuries/seizure disorders and dyslexia. The management at UBCO was horrible, if they had just let me and my students work things out between us it would have been way easier. But they ended up confusing matters between the four of us. I did get access to some good resources from UBCO to help them out though, so it wasn't all bad.
The work atmosphere is relaxed, and staff and faculty members are generally supportive and friendly. The mission is to support the teaching and research at the university, which makes you feel motivated for your work.
Blessed with the ability To learn ,via on the job and school,technology on Heating Controls, various boilers and furnaces working dynamics.UBC school me in a lot of respects. I will be forever thankful for the terrific work environment.
UBC is a wonderful place to work when you first start your career in food service because the level of training and cooperation with your coworkers is good. Also, it is a great place to ask questions so when you are unsure of something all of your supervisors are ready to help you out. It is a an environment like many in the culinary field. It is busy, cooperative, friendly, supportive, and enjoyable. Most of the time if you go to work with the desire to serve others you will receive ten fold back in return. God bless UBC. Here's to the furture! Thanks for all you have given me. T.
I worked at the UBC NSS lab as part of undergraduate research. The pay was minimal as I could not earn more than a masters student, however, it was very enjoyable and relevant to my interests.
Clinical Research is a stressful event with much coordination and management of drug trials. I have gained experience especially with the Canadian regulation of drugs trials, GCP-ICH, Health Canada Div.5 and TCP2:Core.
The most enjoyable part of the job is to see students become pharmacy professionals who surpassed and replaced me in my job and felt in my heart his/her smile of happiness, accomplishment and perseverance.
Working for UBC has its many challenges and benefits. It is not the easiest to navigate at all times, and work can feel precarious at times, but it has incredible benefits that have allowed me to advance my mental and emotional health in ways I never imagined possible.
Great place to work. Multicultural environment hardest part is the laisezz-faire which might be stressful if there is need for supervision Enjoyable part is that there is an inclusive culture
The employers really want to work with you instead of against you. Great experience and opportunities are available, even for part-time. Working with students who are on the same path was very exciting as it pushes you to do better.
- working style is flexible - the management works in an old school manner. Difficult to approach the concerned people. - not properly cleaned and maintained offices - management should focus on encouraging people to bring new ideas and facilitate them with necessary technologies. - the environment is good if you get along with people around.
It's great to work for a place that makes sure everything you do has a great impact on education. It gives you a lot of creative freedom as well, and great work and life balance
Hanging out with other economic TAs was great. Office hours would be routine. Nothing difficult about this job. You need to have good time management to work here.
It pays well and the benefits are one of the best. But there's poor management, and it's really stressful. You get what you put into it. It's a great opportunity to start out with, but it's tricky to grow.
Pros
Multiple locations you can work in
Cons
Long hours, same pay
Working at UBC was a great experience as my superiors gave encouraged me to figure stuff out on my own. No hard feeling when things didnt work out, and lots of praise when they did.
The typical day at work was a lengthy one. I have learnt patience, efficiency and all housekeeping techniques. Management played favorites most of the time. Workplace culture was half toxic, competitive and gossipy. Lifting heavy funiture on my own was my least favorite cup of tea. Going to different locations from time to time helped me to cope with some drama there.
Typical day included researching various sustainable designs for the sustainability office and managing a small group of students. We did cost benefit analysis' and value engineering along with creating presentations and reports for the sustainability office.