University of British Columbia

University of British Columbia Employee Reviews

Excellent place to work. Beautiful weather and stunning location. A happy and balanced life. Supportive staff, readily available for support. Well organized and inclusive work culture
Need more communications with managements often for better performance at work Only few people are working with 50-60 patients Not enough people but they don’t give more hours to work
-Good Management -Great Culture, positive place to work -Great work life balance -great learning environment - Excellent leadership with opportunity to grow
World rank in 30s One of the best schools in Canada Excellent and competent faculty both and undergrad and graduate level Best influence within Canada and USA after
The job taught me a lot and since you live where you work you have to get used to creating a work-life balance but the amount of work you do to the amount you get paid isn't the same.
During the code camp, I assisted the camp teachers introducing the two fundamental language of website, HTML and CSS. Near the end of the camp, every student was able to build their unique websites. I really enjoyed guiding the young coders to explore the beauty of the complex programming world.
Working as a TA for UBC Okanagan has been one of the most rewarding experiences I have had. The workplace culture is amazing, with a collaborative environment in which both Faculty and Staff are willing and ready to help you grow as a professional and meet and exceed your own goals. It was the best kind of job: one in which I could simultaneously share my own knowledge and learn from others, especially the students.
Good workplace, very good benefit but hard to get hours. Good coworkers, workplace culture is relaxed. Management is ok . Learned lot of new things at work.
Faculty were great to work with, however the admin staff were always overworked and extremely stressed out. Very high turnover rate (unsurprisingly). Administration not willing to put money into hiring enough staff, then they wonder why people keep leaving. Made less than I did in my previous position, despite doing 4x the work - the role involved far more than one person can possibly accomplish alone, and was the most stressful job I've ever had. I hear this is a systemic issue across UBC. I would not work here again.
The library is the worst place, because people complain a lot. It is a very toxic environment. The moment you set foot there you start hearing complains about the work environment. There have been cases where people have not been promoted because of seniority and the university has been sued internally and people receive millions of dollars in compensation and still keep their jobs doing very minimal. Communications lacks in this area and if you do something wrong to complain this is view as not being a team member and rumours would start to spread. Very toxic
.. very disconnected from department to department. Campus is nice but hard to commute and not paid enough to live closer. Management can treat "admin staff" as if they are beneath them.
UBC provides the opportunity to work on some amazing research. There was the opportunity to work with various projects. The advisers and managers were supportive and encouraging.
Field crews for biology research projects sent into remote location with no cell service, no radios, no one knew where we were and no safety training or plans. At one point our crew lead asked us to walk into a wildfire and stomp it out. Job description said housing would be provided, but half the season would have been camping in the middle of nowhere with zero facilities and closest town an hour away... and no camping equipment, food or water, or proper home base is provided, everything is out of pocket for a minimum wage job. When safety concerns were communicated to professor leading the project, they put the blame on me and said I don't know the standards of the industry. It doesn't take much to understand that sending field crews into the wilderness with no radios or safety equipment is definitely not acceptable in any industry.
Cons
Poor safety, poor pay
I only worked about 7ish hours a week for 2 months. It was fun. It gave me something to do on those days. Met lots of nice people. Got my next job through meeting a parent there.
This job needs weekly commitment. Also, there is a monthly survey usually conducted at the end of each term. This survey is based on ref progress and the ability to work.
UBCH is a very nice place to work, the staffs there are amazing and friendly. The work given to you is just the right amount. Not too little and not so much that you drown in them. The hardest part of working here is first trying to settle in and get used to the work. But once you are past that stage it is the same thing everyday. The most enjoyable part of the job is just being around the friendly staffs and patients.
I really enjoyed my time studying and working at UNBC. There are many positions available for students, and the hours are flexible allowing you to work around your classes. Professors and support staff are very supportive and encouraging.
Work environment was welcoming and engaging. I learned a lot from this institution. Working in the lab, we were always on the go, but always learning new things.
This workplace is a good one and it does important work for Canadians. It has been nice knowing the staff of this organization that is located in Canada.
UBC is a major company and organization with decent administration practices and a clear vision. In my experience the university's administration and faculty work ok although there's sometimes issues with regards to budged allocation or strategic priorities.
Pros
Benefits
Cons
Salary not correlative with Vancouver's cost of living.
HR are bullies and so very toxic. I’ve never seen anything like this before. I’ve seen several long term staff get disciplined or fired for being injured on the job. As soon as your injured ( at work!!!) they will lie and cheat to get rid of you..... Do not work here. UBCO’s HR is toxic.