University of British Columbia

University of British Columbia Employee Reviews

Excellent place to work. Beautiful weather and stunning location. A happy and balanced life. Supportive staff, readily available for support. Well organized and inclusive work culture
Amazing group of people with different backgrounds, in which learning never ends. A typical work day for me was setting up events and gathering information from the public in regards to learning more about clinical trials and research. Also provided information about our company to local stakeholders.
benefits
Cons
As a TA you can work part time 6 hours a week or full time 12 hours a week, experience will vary from course to course but most of the profs are really good to work with and make it easy for running labs/tutorials and the marking of assignments
I liked working for UBC. The jobs are union so the pay/benefits are good. Typically I would get into work and assess my first jobs and finish any that weren’t completed. Then I would continue to work in this fashion until the day’s end. Every day would be different, because I’d get interrupted many times a day by faculty who wanted me to do/edit/copy something else. I reported to the chairman of the department and had occasional meetings with him. I learned more and more confidence in my abilities. I was not responsible for managing anything other than my own workload. The workplace culture was very professional and results-oriented. I was expected to fully keep on top of my workload. The hardest part of the job was interacting with the chairman of the department, who was mercurial and had a bit of a temper. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting and interacting with the visiting professors.
Benefits
Cons
A bit of a commute.
Research is the best form of work, as it can be done anytime and as much someone wants. Research starts difficult with reading papers but really interesting when the practical is done. Apart from that the professors are great to seek help to or ask any questions.
As an adjunct/visiting I cannot answer regarding benefits etc.. Overall a good supportive environment, diverse, and research focused. Supportive faculty, collegial atmosphere.
Pros
recognition of contributions you bring
Cons
Commute- but not UBC issue
Great working team at that time. Setting own hours and flexible time schedule makes it easy as part-time job while going to school. Doing research helps gaining experience when writing ones thesis.
Working at the UBC provides endless opportunity to be innovative in your work. The work-life balance can be easily achieved. Innovative and fun projects that keeps you engaged with new technology and advancements.
Pros
Exciting projects on real world applications
Cons
You need to be innovative and daring to try out new things
I worked as a sessional lecturer. Very hard work for secretarial wages--disappointing after finishing my Ph.D., but I learned a lot about university life from the inside, and how a department should be run.
Pros
colourful colleagues and teaching experience
Cons
pitiful salar
I worked there for only 4 months and then I started my PhD program there. As a research assistant, it is an perfect place to work. Professors are well-educated and very knoledable.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Old department
My work duties typically involved lab supervision and marking. Improved my communication skills. Well managed. Well nice and friendly work environment.
Nice place to work at, especially if you work in a team. The pay is good and people around you are good. Benefits are amazing too, the only thing that is a con is the Kelowna campus which is great but it is based in between no where.
Great employer because of the benefits, but things get done slowly because of how many staff there are. Things have to pass through multiple hands to get done - not the most efficient
teaching is a calling and i love it. My student ratings are consistently very high and i am in a good place as a university educator. The pay is just too low
BCPP at UBC is a provincial resource that provides care to patients who required specialized treatment for psychosis. I performed hands on care for individuals as per their needs. Some of the duties were frequent assessments, psychotherapy, administering medication, assisting with activities of daily life, running programs and helping clients be a part of their care plan by meeting their goals. .
working as postdoc is not secure job and salary is very low with lots of responsibilities. It could help to improve the research quality but can not improve the opportunity for getting job in industry
Nice working people .We work as a time .They show you how the task is supposed to be done.They do not allow you to work if you do not understand the task.if you feel your health is at risk you are open to tell them
Pros
good working conditions
Cons
not relly
Good people, environment, and best benefits in town! Each department is different, some better to work in. Once you are in you can move around to find the best position for you.
The experience will depend on the supervisor. My supervisor is very hardworking and we have a weekly meeting to discuss about the research process. I finished with a journal publication.
Working as a student, staff is very understanding of "education comes first". The work environment is fun and friendly. Not hierarchical, everyone is on a horizontal playing field. Location is not the best if you do not live in this area. Lots of opportunity to grow within the department and/or university.
Pros
Flexible hours, lots of resources, many food and activities in walking distance, safe
Cons
Minimal benefits, location, complicated union system
This may vary greatly depending on the department or even your supervisor. I have a research role - this review certainly The job is certainly very interesting and engaging with the opportunity to work with brilliant colleagues and students. In my particular case I have a good deal of freedom to define the problems I work on and to continue learning new things. On the flip side I get very limited amount of professional support. Career advancement opportunities are bleak. Physical space is really not great
Pros
decent freedom to pursue academic interests, talented collaborators
Cons
inadequate career advancement opportunities, low pay, bad physical working environment