University of British Columbia
Happiness score is 61 out of 100
View all University of British Columbia reviews

University of British Columbia

University of British Columbia Employee Review

nasty bosses, find another place to work

The job itself is ok except that the bosses make everything you do more difficult by adding unnecessary steps. There are three levels of management over you in this position, they are all bored and just look for ways to make your job difficult and unpleasant. Staff are unionized so bosses treat them poorly, like enemies rather than teammates. It doesn't seem like the director or those beneath her have any education or training in management, they were simply promoted for lasting long enough in the department. It shows in the operation of student housing generally, and the demeanor of staff behind the desk - these are not nice people to work for, nor are they competent. In the end, I found a much better place to work with employers who treat us with kindness, and lead us with competence.

Pros

nice coworkers

Cons

terrible management

1.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Work life balance

Work is flexible but could be long hours at times, depending on your career goal. The job is on the yearly contract as the job is on soft money, so no security.

Excellent culture

I love working at UBC. As a researcher, a typical day at work doesn't make sense. I have flexible hours. The most enjoyable part of the job is friendly and supportive colleagues and managers.Students can be difficult and challenging sometimes but we have good staff support to deal with difficult students too.

Pros

Great compensation and Benefits, Great culture

Cons

Lack of work-life balance

some great - some bad

UBC is called the golden handcuffs for a reason. The benefits are great, salary is good (depending on department) but there is little room for advancement.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of British Columbia. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare University of British Columbia with

Learn about University of British Columbia in popular locations

• University of British Columbia
  • nasty bosses, find another place to work