University of British Columbia

Canada437 reviews

Clear
3.6Pay & benefits

Supporting Environment

Positive points: 1. Great Work Culture2. Good research infrastructure3. Engaging, appreciative managerNegative Points:1. Work-life balance can be better

Fun and productive

Very good but at the same time can be boring. It is quite interesting company indeed. Sometime fast pace sometime slow. could be good. workplace culture is interesting.

Insights into University of British Columbia

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Trust in colleagues

Good work life/balance job

Good work life balance job. Although progression and advancement may be limited. They don't consider that for you until you bring it up or threaten to quit.

Poor work environment and pay

Not a great organization to work for as the growth is very slow, the salary is low and the management is poor. This was true for each research lab I worked in at UBC. The workload was very high and it didn't make sense because the salary was so low. The only good thing was that UBC had great benefits, but at a certain point, you have to get more out of a job than just that.

mundane work, zero opportunity for advancement. Golden handcuffs, sadly

an administrative role at UBC is for people who have zero ambition, who crave security and are not concerned about the poverty-level salary. Too many unionized employees at UBC (CUPE) who are lazy. THe roles here require zero creativity, and there is no incentive to work hard

Great for research

Great place to learn and contribute to cutting edge research. Lots of smart individuals and high caliber professors. Highly recommend for young students.

Professional work environment in the office with lots of tasks to be done on Excel.

A good place to work right after graduating as you do learn a lot and there’s room for advancement in the company. Colleagues were too reserved and professional though, couldn’t really ever connect or joke around with them.

Pros

Provide good training and support

Cons

Lots of team meetings and one on one meetings with supervisors

Relaxed work environment

It is a chill place to work that will be accommodating of your personal life, but on the flip side pay raises or career advancement are limited and frustrating

Pros

Flexible

Cons

Pay

relaxed workplace

Easy to manage work-life balance. benefits from day 1. An open and diverse community fosters the inclusion of voices that have been underrepresented or discouraged.

Smart professor to work with

Working in UBC is a great experience! The professors are super nice, smart and helpful. They care about your career development and they are trying their best to help you. Also, compared with US phd students, my phd has much better work life balance. I found this out after I started to do postdoc in the US. I really like UBC and my supervisor and I enjoy my life much better in Vancouver than in the US.

A mixed bag

I felt isolated and ridiculed by most of my colleagues who often engaged in microaggression. My manager was okay but I knew not to report anyone to her. It was just me from a different ethnic background while the rest were 50/50 white/Asian. It's the culture at UBC anyway.

Pros

worklife balance, benefits

Cons

pay. lack of job security

Good, fun workplace

Easy to manage work-life balance and pretty flexible around scheduling shifts. Very transparent and friendly management. Great peers with good teamwork and communication.

Lots of fun, but too much work and low pay

Working as an RA, you have no private life. You’re never fully away from your job. It’s very stressful to not be able to separate your work life and personal life. Also, you soooo don’t get paid enough for the amount of work you’re doing. But! The people that you work with legitimately care about you. And they’re there for you. Having such a supportive community is amazing

Pros

Management is great, employees are great

Cons

Never off the clock, not paid enough

Productive, competitive and joyful work

Excellent place to work. Beautiful weather and stunning location. A happy and balanced life. Supportive staff, readily available for support. Well organized and inclusive work culture

Excellent employer

Had benefits from day 1, very good employer and lots of opportunities to apply for internal jobs after hire. I really enjoy the management style and workplace culture of this institution.

A workplace that takes care of employees

Covid showed me that the university cares about its staff, and I feel that we are a huge part of the long term goals of the organization. I look forward to being there until I retire

Mast university

very good university. Typical day of work is chill. Students are chill. Vancouver is chill. Even I am chill. There is nothing hard. Workplace culture rocks!

Great

Great stepping stone for those looking to advance into management or law enforcement. Always look at coming to work with a positive attitude and things will be easier.

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

Shift work can have an effect

Great fit for students

The work environment at UBC is fairly good, especially if you are a student in need of part time work that fits around your schedule- not the other way around. Working for the university as a student means your employer will do almost anything to make sure you have a schedule that works for you and I appreciated that very much.

Pros

Work-life balance, convenient location

Cons

No benefits

Inclusive Work Environment

Very conducive, inclusively accommodating work environment. It's understanding in terms of flexibility and student workloads, but very rigid in terms of productivity.

Pros

Very flexible and accomidating

Cons

Unreliable funding, projects could be abandoned halfway subject to funding. Makes you feel unaccomplished.

Work 12 hours a day four days on four days off. You get decent adequate pay but still below a liveable standard. You get a lot of time off. You need to take an interest in your job, be a self-starter, take pride in your work. Look for a need and then fill it.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of British Columbia. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement