University of British Columbia

University of British Columbia Work-life balance reviews

Excellent place to work. Beautiful weather and stunning location. A happy and balanced life. Supportive staff, readily available for support. Well organized and inclusive work culture
Working as an RA, you have no private life. You’re never fully away from your job. It’s very stressful to not be able to separate your work life and personal life. Also, you soooo don’t get paid enough for the amount of work you’re doing. But! The people that you work with legitimately care about you. And they’re there for you. Having such a supportive community is amazing
Pros
Management is great, employees are great
Cons
Never off the clock, not paid enough
Had benefits from day 1, very good employer and lots of opportunities to apply for internal jobs after hire. I really enjoy the management style and workplace culture of this institution.
Covid showed me that the university cares about its staff, and I feel that we are a huge part of the long term goals of the organization. I look forward to being there until I retire
very good university. Typical day of work is chill. Students are chill. Vancouver is chill. Even I am chill. There is nothing hard. Workplace culture rocks!
Great stepping stone for those looking to advance into management or law enforcement. Always look at coming to work with a positive attitude and things will be easier.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Shift work can have an effect
The work environment at UBC is fairly good, especially if you are a student in need of part time work that fits around your schedule- not the other way around. Working for the university as a student means your employer will do almost anything to make sure you have a schedule that works for you and I appreciated that very much.
Pros
Work-life balance, convenient location
Cons
No benefits
Very conducive, inclusively accommodating work environment. It's understanding in terms of flexibility and student workloads, but very rigid in terms of productivity.
Pros
Very flexible and accomidating
Cons
Unreliable funding, projects could be abandoned halfway subject to funding. Makes you feel unaccomplished.
Work 12 hours a day four days on four days off. You get decent adequate pay but still below a liveable standard. You get a lot of time off. You need to take an interest in your job, be a self-starter, take pride in your work. Look for a need and then fill it.
While it is hard to balance your work life and the rest of your life because you live where you work, when you have great co-workers the job is amazing! However, if your co-workers are less passionate about community-building or do not want to bond as much, the job can be draining without much benefit. But definitely would recommend being a Residence Advisor to all as it can provide you with a sense of belonging on such a large campus.
-Good Management -Great Culture, positive place to work -Great work life balance -great learning environment - Excellent leadership with opportunity to grow
The job taught me a lot and since you live where you work you have to get used to creating a work-life balance but the amount of work you do to the amount you get paid isn't the same.
This workplace is a good one and it does important work for Canadians. It has been nice knowing the staff of this organization that is located in Canada.
I love my job because everyone shares the same vision and is dedicated to the mission I love that I have a great degree of control and freedom within my job.
Blessed with the ability To learn ,via on the job and school,technology on Heating Controls, various boilers and furnaces working dynamics.UBC school me in a lot of respects. I will be forever thankful for the terrific work environment.
The most enjoyable part of the job is to see students become pharmacy professionals who surpassed and replaced me in my job and felt in my heart his/her smile of happiness, accomplishment and perseverance.
Working for UBC has its many challenges and benefits. It is not the easiest to navigate at all times, and work can feel precarious at times, but it has incredible benefits that have allowed me to advance my mental and emotional health in ways I never imagined possible.
It's great to work for a place that makes sure everything you do has a great impact on education. It gives you a lot of creative freedom as well, and great work and life balance
It pays well and the benefits are one of the best. But there's poor management, and it's really stressful. You get what you put into it. It's a great opportunity to start out with, but it's tricky to grow.
Pros
Multiple locations you can work in
Cons
Long hours, same pay
Working at UBC was a great experience as my superiors gave encouraged me to figure stuff out on my own. No hard feeling when things didnt work out, and lots of praise when they did.
Large organization with outdated processes, making improvements by implementing a new ERP system. Slow to change but good salaries, benefits, work/life balance.