University of British Columbia

Clear
3.6Pay & benefits

universitystudentprofessorbritishvancouvercampuslabcolumbia

Fast-paced work environment

Fast-paced work environment, fair salary, good workplace culture. Too much work during busy periods. Heavy load or work for cage processing and preparation. High level of responsibility for the animal's health and welfare.

Toxic department but okay job

Pretty safe campus. Clean. Fun to see students but department bullies and management does nothing, no follow up, does not care about employees. My 2 team leads were great. Caring and supportive and super chill and fun to work with. Cashiers too. I learned a lot from teams about customer service.

Pros

Meals on shifts. Insurance Benefits. Great team lead.

Cons

Poor management. Bullies on shift.

Insights into University of British Columbia

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Trust in colleagues

Poor work environment and pay

Not a great organization to work for as the growth is very slow, the salary is low and the management is poor. This was true for each research lab I worked in at UBC. The workload was very high and it didn't make sense because the salary was so low. The only good thing was that UBC had great benefits, but at a certain point, you have to get more out of a job than just that.

mundane work, zero opportunity for advancement. Golden handcuffs, sadly

an administrative role at UBC is for people who have zero ambition, who crave security and are not concerned about the poverty-level salary. Too many unionized employees at UBC (CUPE) who are lazy. THe roles here require zero creativity, and there is no incentive to work hard

Miss led

Was under the impression that it was a full time job, but after starting it turned out to be part time. Work for a full year and still no benefits. So mislead.

Good place

Good place to work. People are nice and great place to learn. Good benefits , location is nice but very far from the rest of Vancouver. great day care

The Vancouver Campus is a beautiful place to work

Transit is easy to UBC and will be even easier when the new skytrain goes in. It is a great place to work, you can take a walk on your lunch and enjoy the beautiful campus.

Pros

Great pay and benefits

Cons

work can be repetitive

laid back jobs but no career advancement

I am a student worker at one faculty at UBC. My job is like the full-time job but I only work for 10h/week. The pay is quite low and they didn't increase the pay for 3 years (as a student I don't complaint much)The work is super easy and laid back. People are nice. It's just there is no career advancement in my department. If you like to settle then working at UBC is fine

Pros

easy work

Cons

boring, no room for growth

More accountability required at all levels.

UBC can be a great place to work but it is unfortunate to see lack of accountability and abuse of employee benefits from those who know the UBC system inside and out.

Great place to work, great management

The staff benefits are great. It's a really inclusive environments for people with different backgrounds. I couldn't find any cons. Everything's great

Pros

Great benefits

Cons

N/a

Horrible pay, no room for advancement

Extremely low pay, no room for advancement in Union positions. Management actively tries to keep you down. Once trapped in the union it's almost impossible to get out.

Relaxed work environment

It is a chill place to work that will be accommodating of your personal life, but on the flip side pay raises or career advancement are limited and frustrating

Pros

Flexible

Cons

Pay

Productive and Collaborative Research Environment

- Good workplace culture- Collaborative- Access to world-class researchers- Beautiful Campus- Good benefits - Can be a little cliquey sometimes

relaxed workplace

Easy to manage work-life balance. benefits from day 1. An open and diverse community fosters the inclusion of voices that have been underrepresented or discouraged.

Bad management, even worse pay

Pay is below average, a 35 hour workweek is great on paper until you see your salary reflects that, along with $7 per day for parking, and the amount of money on fuel... This job isn't worth it. My department was suspended with no prior knowledge, and when I quit because of this no one even told management and they turned it into a "job abandonment" even though I verbally told someone "I quit".The new management for this school is terrible frankly, and the dishpit has been reported to the health department.

Pros

Free food

Cons

Management who ignores staff for months on end.

Micro management

Micro management!! Very disorganized to many shift leaders, not enough staff, high turnover, great students benefits and pay is okay. I don’t believe I ever met the manager. All and all a ok place to work very expensive parking if you can find a spot.

A mixed bag

I felt isolated and ridiculed by most of my colleagues who often engaged in microaggression. My manager was okay but I knew not to report anyone to her. It was just me from a different ethnic background while the rest were 50/50 white/Asian. It's the culture at UBC anyway.

Pros

worklife balance, benefits

Cons

pay. lack of job security

Excellent employer

Had benefits from day 1, very good employer and lots of opportunities to apply for internal jobs after hire. I really enjoy the management style and workplace culture of this institution.

Great fit for students

The work environment at UBC is fairly good, especially if you are a student in need of part time work that fits around your schedule- not the other way around. Working for the university as a student means your employer will do almost anything to make sure you have a schedule that works for you and I appreciated that very much.

Pros

Work-life balance, convenient location

Cons

No benefits

Always busy days. Learned more about time management. Business culture. Pot lucks with staff most enjoyable part. Commute was hardest part. Good managment.

In general workplace

Good pay and benefits, as well as friendly staffs. One thing though is there's alot of management issues and scheduling so those i always keep on eye on it.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of British Columbia. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement