University of British Columbia

Canada437 reviews

Clear
3.5Job security & advancement

Supporting Environment

Positive points: 1. Great Work Culture2. Good research infrastructure3. Engaging, appreciative managerNegative Points:1. Work-life balance can be better

Fun and productive

Very good but at the same time can be boring. It is quite interesting company indeed. Sometime fast pace sometime slow. could be good. workplace culture is interesting.

Insights into University of British Columbia

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Trust in colleagues

Hiring Solutions experience

HS is the internal placement agency within UBC. Their mandate is to hire advanced admin and executive support to various departments and schools on and off campus with the intent to eventually find a permanent placement. As a HS exmployee, you are often filling an administrative role while the department HR completes the hiring process for a permanent replacement. Each assignment may give you some skills but will lead to you a career dead-end - standard temp work.Typical day will depend on your work assignment and where you are assigned. Zoom is heavily used and can be faiguing. Depending on the department there may not be training or documentation so being able to work things out for yourself if a must. (In one case I filled in for someone who quit suddenly after 15 years in the position and didnt document their processes at all) Combine this with underwhelming and boring work, siloed groups, cold/distant work culture, daily parking rates, and last minute assignment changes (3-4 days notice is unacceptable yet it happened every time) it led to an unpleasant sense of being treated as disposable. As a result this was not a good fit for me.

Pros

Squirrels on Campus, The nice ladies at the Starbucks, big trees everywhere

Cons

Underwhelming and boring work, siloed groups, cold/distant work culture, expensive daily parking rates, and last minute assignment changes

Good work life/balance job

Good work life balance job. Although progression and advancement may be limited. They don't consider that for you until you bring it up or threaten to quit.

Miss led

Was under the impression that it was a full time job, but after starting it turned out to be part time. Work for a full year and still no benefits. So mislead.

Great employer

Worked for less than a year and really appreciated the other staff at UBC. I left due to the nature of the work (short term) as it was a lab position for a student. Would recommend again.

relaxed place

Pleasant experience with great coworkers who are very friendly and understanding. Good training with project manager who was available to answer all my questions .

Wonderful department of medicine

I enjoyed every minute of working with the individuals in the faculty of medicine. My only complaint was that the contract position I and over 60 other tutors filled was paid often 3 months or more after the work had been completed. This was a payroll department issue and not the fault of the department of medicine. I would have given 5 stars across the board if not for this MAJOR flaw.

laid back jobs but no career advancement

I am a student worker at one faculty at UBC. My job is like the full-time job but I only work for 10h/week. The pay is quite low and they didn't increase the pay for 3 years (as a student I don't complaint much)The work is super easy and laid back. People are nice. It's just there is no career advancement in my department. If you like to settle then working at UBC is fine

Pros

easy work

Cons

boring, no room for growth

UBC Okanagan

Unfortunately the facilities management dept is managed by the old boys club, the FM leadership create a very unhappy and negative work environment. The workers that report to them are always job hunting, moral is terrible and staff turnover is high. Pay rate for the blue collar worker is low but you know that coming in. I do not recommend working here unless you enjoy being micromanaged and disrespected by the facilities management leadership.

Pros

Great extended health and dental plan

Cons

Low pay, micromanaged, disrespected workers, little to no opportunities for advancement, they promote by hiring external applicants instead of promoting qualified applicants from within.

The amount of support available to employed students

Academic work positions for students here are great. They help students build skills, friendships with their supervisors, and access necessary supports.

Great for research

Great place to learn and contribute to cutting edge research. Lots of smart individuals and high caliber professors. Highly recommend for young students.

Horrible pay, no room for advancement

Extremely low pay, no room for advancement in Union positions. Management actively tries to keep you down. Once trapped in the union it's almost impossible to get out.

Professional work environment in the office with lots of tasks to be done on Excel.

A good place to work right after graduating as you do learn a lot and there’s room for advancement in the company. Colleagues were too reserved and professional though, couldn’t really ever connect or joke around with them.

Pros

Provide good training and support

Cons

Lots of team meetings and one on one meetings with supervisors

Relaxed work environment

It is a chill place to work that will be accommodating of your personal life, but on the flip side pay raises or career advancement are limited and frustrating

Pros

Flexible

Cons

Pay

relaxed workplace

Easy to manage work-life balance. benefits from day 1. An open and diverse community fosters the inclusion of voices that have been underrepresented or discouraged.

Challenging place to work if you are not an academic

Management preferred to maintain the status quo. Initiative was not well received even if it was in your specific area of expertise and responsibility.

Smart professor to work with

Working in UBC is a great experience! The professors are super nice, smart and helpful. They care about your career development and they are trying their best to help you. Also, compared with US phd students, my phd has much better work life balance. I found this out after I started to do postdoc in the US. I really like UBC and my supervisor and I enjoy my life much better in Vancouver than in the US.

A mixed bag

I felt isolated and ridiculed by most of my colleagues who often engaged in microaggression. My manager was okay but I knew not to report anyone to her. It was just me from a different ethnic background while the rest were 50/50 white/Asian. It's the culture at UBC anyway.

Pros

worklife balance, benefits

Cons

pay. lack of job security

Productive, competitive and joyful work

Excellent place to work. Beautiful weather and stunning location. A happy and balanced life. Supportive staff, readily available for support. Well organized and inclusive work culture

Excellent employer

Had benefits from day 1, very good employer and lots of opportunities to apply for internal jobs after hire. I really enjoy the management style and workplace culture of this institution.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of British Columbia. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement