University of British Columbia logo

University of British Columbia Job security & advancement reviews

Clear
Work-life balance
Job security & advancement

Productive, competitive and joyful work

Excellent place to work. Beautiful weather and stunning location. A happy and balanced life. Supportive staff, readily available for support. Well organized and inclusive work culture

UBC okanagan

UBC BCGEU position is a dead end job with a great benefit package. The wages are very low however you know that coming in and may be able to deal with that aspect. The charge engineer and management team in the facilities department create a toxic work environment. There is an old boys club mentality and change is desperately needed, the existing work environment its not a healthy or positive workplace.

Pros

Benifit package

Cons

As mentioned

Excellent employer

Had benefits from day 1, very good employer and lots of opportunities to apply for internal jobs after hire. I really enjoy the management style and workplace culture of this institution.

Great

Great stepping stone for those looking to advance into management or law enforcement. Always look at coming to work with a positive attitude and things will be easier.

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

Shift work can have an effect

Inclusive Work Environment

Very conducive, inclusively accommodating work environment. It's understanding in terms of flexibility and student workloads, but very rigid in terms of productivity.

Pros

Very flexible and accomidating

Cons

Unreliable funding, projects could be abandoned halfway subject to funding. Makes you feel unaccomplished.

Great for job security

The union and bureaucracy is a double-edged sword. I was paid very well but my computer was constantly slow to the point that copy paste, double clicks, and even typing in text boxes would not work reliably. I reported it many times and was told there was nothing they could do to fix it. I felt like a chef with a dull knife. If you are looking for job security then this is the perfect job. If you are looking to be treated like a person then consider elsewhere.

Pros

Good pay, strong union

Cons

Poor equipment, overnight shifts, soul-eroding

Very good company

My 15 years of work experience, has very good management and co-workers. Very helpful staff. Training is very professional. I enjoyed working with UBC.

Remote

Good. Nice supervisor. Schedule is flexible people are friendly work environment is nice Develop good programming skills quiz response need to spend time on learning and improving yourself

-Good Management -Great Culture, positive place to work -Great work life balance -great learning environment - Excellent leadership with opportunity to grow

Worked as a residence advisor

The job taught me a lot and since you live where you work you have to get used to creating a work-life balance but the amount of work you do to the amount you get paid isn't the same.

Jobs at University of British Columbia

See more jobs

Challenging but rewarding workplace with state-of-the-art teaching and research facilities

Working as a TA for UBC Okanagan has been one of the most rewarding experiences I have had. The workplace culture is amazing, with a collaborative environment in which both Faculty and Staff are willing and ready to help you grow as a professional and meet and exceed your own goals. It was the best kind of job: one in which I could simultaneously share my own knowledge and learn from others, especially the students.

Opportunity To Work on Amazing Research

UBC provides the opportunity to work on some amazing research. There was the opportunity to work with various projects. The advisers and managers were supportive and encouraging.

Work environment was welcoming and engaging. I learned a lot from this institution. Working in the lab, we were always on the go, but always learning new things.

HR and management toxic

HR are bullies and so very toxic. I’ve never seen anything like this before. I’ve seen several long term staff get disciplined or fired for being injured on the job. As soon as your injured ( at work!!!) they will lie and cheat to get rid of you..... Do not work here. UBCO’s HR is toxic.

productive and fun work place

I love my job because everyone shares the same vision and is dedicated to the mission I love that I have a great degree of control and freedom within my job.

Class A gas tect

Blessed with the ability To learn ,via on the job and school,technology on Heating Controls, various boilers and furnaces working dynamics.UBC school me in a lot of respects. I will be forever thankful for the terrific work environment.

A great place to learn new things.

UBC is a wonderful place to work when you first start your career in food service because the level of training and cooperation with your coworkers is good. Also, it is a great place to ask questions so when you are unsure of something all of your supervisors are ready to help you out. It is a an environment like many in the culinary field. It is busy, cooperative, friendly, supportive, and enjoyable. Most of the time if you go to work with the desire to serve others you will receive ten fold back in return. God bless UBC. Here's to the furture! Thanks for all you have given me. T.

Amazing opportunity for growth

Working for UBC has its many challenges and benefits. It is not the easiest to navigate at all times, and work can feel precarious at times, but it has incredible benefits that have allowed me to advance my mental and emotional health in ways I never imagined possible.

Great workplace with many like-minded people

The employers really want to work with you instead of against you. Great experience and opportunities are available, even for part-time. Working with students who are on the same path was very exciting as it pushes you to do better.

Productive and fun place to work at. Really feel like you're making a difference

It's great to work for a place that makes sure everything you do has a great impact on education. It gives you a lot of creative freedom as well, and great work and life balance

Management needs a lot of work

It pays well and the benefits are one of the best. But there's poor management, and it's really stressful. You get what you put into it. It's a great opportunity to start out with, but it's tricky to grow.

Pros

Multiple locations you can work in

Cons

Long hours, same pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of British Columbia. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2