University of British Columbia

University of British Columbia Culture reviews

Canada437 reviews

Clear

Fast-paced work environment

Fast-paced work environment, fair salary, good workplace culture. Too much work during busy periods. Heavy load or work for cage processing and preparation. High level of responsibility for the animal's health and welfare.

Supporting Environment

Positive points: 1. Great Work Culture2. Good research infrastructure3. Engaging, appreciative managerNegative Points:1. Work-life balance can be better

Insights into University of British Columbia

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Trust in colleagues

Very nice place to work, nice campus.

It was a very good experience working at UBCI learned something new everyday and the mangers and supervisors are very approachable. I really liked it!!!!

Fun and productive

Very good but at the same time can be boring. It is quite interesting company indeed. Sometime fast pace sometime slow. could be good. workplace culture is interesting.

I loved working at enrolment services. Everyone is so helpful and nice. Overall just a great place to work. Great environment always learning something

Hiring Solutions experience

HS is the internal placement agency within UBC. Their mandate is to hire advanced admin and executive support to various departments and schools on and off campus with the intent to eventually find a permanent placement. As a HS exmployee, you are often filling an administrative role while the department HR completes the hiring process for a permanent replacement. Each assignment may give you some skills but will lead to you a career dead-end - standard temp work.Typical day will depend on your work assignment and where you are assigned. Zoom is heavily used and can be faiguing. Depending on the department there may not be training or documentation so being able to work things out for yourself if a must. (In one case I filled in for someone who quit suddenly after 15 years in the position and didnt document their processes at all) Combine this with underwhelming and boring work, siloed groups, cold/distant work culture, daily parking rates, and last minute assignment changes (3-4 days notice is unacceptable yet it happened every time) it led to an unpleasant sense of being treated as disposable. As a result this was not a good fit for me.

Pros

Squirrels on Campus, The nice ladies at the Starbucks, big trees everywhere

Cons

Underwhelming and boring work, siloed groups, cold/distant work culture, expensive daily parking rates, and last minute assignment changes

Fun workplace, good learning experience

Coworkers and supervisor are nice and helpful, good learning experience if you are willing to reach out and connect with the people working around you.

Toxic department but okay job

Pretty safe campus. Clean. Fun to see students but department bullies and management does nothing, no follow up, does not care about employees. My 2 team leads were great. Caring and supportive and super chill and fun to work with. Cashiers too. I learned a lot from teams about customer service.

Pros

Meals on shifts. Insurance Benefits. Great team lead.

Cons

Poor management. Bullies on shift.

Good place

Good place to work. People are nice and great place to learn. Good benefits , location is nice but very far from the rest of Vancouver. great day care

Great place to work, great management

The staff benefits are great. It's a really inclusive environments for people with different backgrounds. I couldn't find any cons. Everything's great

Pros

Great benefits

Cons

N/a

Productive and Collaborative Research Environment

- Good workplace culture- Collaborative- Access to world-class researchers- Beautiful Campus- Good benefits - Can be a little cliquey sometimes

Volunteer position

This was a volunteer coaching position with the Women's Hockey team. It was great to work with the staff. I left as I was looking for an on bench, on ice role.

Pros

Atmosphere and Friday night meals

Cons

No pay

A mixed bag

I felt isolated and ridiculed by most of my colleagues who often engaged in microaggression. My manager was okay but I knew not to report anyone to her. It was just me from a different ethnic background while the rest were 50/50 white/Asian. It's the culture at UBC anyway.

Pros

worklife balance, benefits

Cons

pay. lack of job security

Good, fun workplace

Easy to manage work-life balance and pretty flexible around scheduling shifts. Very transparent and friendly management. Great peers with good teamwork and communication.

Productive, competitive and joyful work

Excellent place to work. Beautiful weather and stunning location. A happy and balanced life. Supportive staff, readily available for support. Well organized and inclusive work culture

Excellent employer

Had benefits from day 1, very good employer and lots of opportunities to apply for internal jobs after hire. I really enjoy the management style and workplace culture of this institution.

Mast university

very good university. Typical day of work is chill. Students are chill. Vancouver is chill. Even I am chill. There is nothing hard. Workplace culture rocks!

Always busy days. Learned more about time management. Business culture. Pot lucks with staff most enjoyable part. Commute was hardest part. Good managment.

Very good company

My 15 years of work experience, has very good management and co-workers. Very helpful staff. Training is very professional. I enjoyed working with UBC.

the environment is really good for working and studying

A typical day at work always starts from going through tons of emails. The most important thing that I have learnt is to cooperate with you team members, to learn from each other, to help each other and to share views with people around you. The experience helps improve your management skills including time management, and project management.

Good place to start as a part-time worker

It was a good place to start for a part-time worker. The pay is minimum wage, but for a student just starting off, it is decent. the work place culture is very friendly and helpful. Most important think learned is how to work in a fast paced environment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of British Columbia. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement