University of British Columbia

University of British Columbia Employee Reviews for Teaching Assistant

World rank in 30s One of the best schools in Canada Excellent and competent faculty both and undergrad and graduate level Best influence within Canada and USA after
Working as a TA for UBC Okanagan has been one of the most rewarding experiences I have had. The workplace culture is amazing, with a collaborative environment in which both Faculty and Staff are willing and ready to help you grow as a professional and meet and exceed your own goals. It was the best kind of job: one in which I could simultaneously share my own knowledge and learn from others, especially the students.
UBC is a major company and organization with decent administration practices and a clear vision. In my experience the university's administration and faculty work ok although there's sometimes issues with regards to budged allocation or strategic priorities.
Benefits
Cons
Salary not correlative with Vancouver's cost of living.
Hanging out with other economic TAs was great. Office hours would be routine. Nothing difficult about this job. You need to have good time management to work here.
I enjoyed teaching students. It was a great opportunity to improve my pedagogical skills.I enjoyed group discussions with the students. The professors that I assisted to were very helpful and always made me feel a part of big team.
As a TA you can work part time 6 hours a week or full time 12 hours a week, experience will vary from course to course but most of the profs are really good to work with and make it easy for running labs/tutorials and the marking of assignments
Through this position, I learned how to simplify complicated ideas on the spot to aid students understand the course material. Communication with the professor was seamless and very simple since she was easy to work with and work for.
Pros
Great watching people learn.
Cons
Lots of grading.
Huge campus. There are many facilities that can entertain and stimulate students' curiosity. The location is beautiful: among nature, trees and ocean.
Experienced teaching assistants and professors are very supportive and willing to provide advice to new fellow assistants. The curriculum design and professional training were superb!
A fantastic job and a fantastic place to work. I was allowed freedom and flexibility to design my own lesson plans. Unfortunately, I had to graduate and could no longer be a teacher's assistant.
As a TA at UBC you get to work one on one with professor and work to help your students understand the course material. It's a great way to give back to the school and network with other people in your field.
Pros
flexible hours
learned to manage my time provides better help to others working is pretty enjoyable flexible working hours nice boss (maybe) the work is not intense fair paid
Few years ago there was a negotiation with the union about changes to the TA contracts at UBC. Fortunately, most of them were implemented and now students benefit from inflation safe salaries, work hours limit and assistant with tuition in the later years of the graduate program. I believe those changes have been positive and necessary for a good life quality in the city.
Just taught first year students about statistics and experimental design. Very easy job, about 15 hours a week, didnt pay well.
Teaching students, learning how to prepare good lessons, good oversight. Job wasn't difficult. Teaching and helping students was enjoyable
Pros
Very rigid in terms of scheduling
Cons
Excellent place to work. Supportive environment. Allows one to develop their abilities. Long hours and poor pay though.
One of the best schools in the country. Large campus with a great range of faculty members. Excellent place to study for Medical Physics.
Supervising students while they were performing experiments in the lab. Marking their reports. Things learned: time management, marking, conflict resolution. Hardest part of the job: having to prepare lessons in advance due to the laboratory material being ahead of the material taught in class. Most enjoyable: giving those lessons. It is quite satisfying to explain something somewhat complicated once to people and have them understand right away.
Pros
We knew what was expected of us.
Cons
Having to modify lab manual on the go in order to provide realistic goals for students.
Great experience! Learnt a lot of my acquired skills from this institution. The student body is amazing and very helpful. The professors, and staff are friendly and easy to talk to. This environment truly helped shape me into success, and am grateful for everything.
I have served as a teaching assistant to several professors for courses such as Introduction to Philosophy and Biomedical Ethics. I was tasked with an assortment of responsibilities ranging from attendance monitoring to assignment / term paper marking and occasional lecturing. In addition to these responsibilities I was often consulted for insight, advice, and/or opinions on the drafting of term paper questions and marking methods.
sometime confused me, and some staff always ignore my response. and I do not know why. some people works very carefully, but not all.