University of British Columbia

University of British Columbia Employee Reviews for Teaching Assistant

Teaching Assistant35 reviews
Canada35 reviews

universitystudentprofessorbritishvancouvercampuslabcolumbia

Work was all done from home, or in a class room

Teaching assistant job for a data analytics class, where I was tasked with recreating the whole class project, by myself, in 1 week and marking 70 projects, 5 times for each addition. Sometimes being a TA can be high pressure like the situation I was in. Other times being a TA can be easy, like monitoring some students during an exam or holding office hours. Overall it is luck of the draw.

Productive, relaxing and fun

Working as a teaching assistant for one of the econ courses. The professor I'm working for is really nice. The pay is also pretty nice for an undergrad college student.

Insights into University of British Columbia

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Energizing work tasks

Pretty good to work as a grad student

Nice to work here as a teaching assistant while a grad student. Pays fairly well, training sessions offered, and helpful staff. Overall positive experience.

Great place for students to work at

Worked as a Teaching AssistantDuties included- Acting as a liaison between students and professor- Marking exams- sitting in classes Quick Note: Usually these jobs are only available to graduate students and are not available to those who are not students at UBC

The amount of support available to employed students

Academic work positions for students here are great. They help students build skills, friendships with their supervisors, and access necessary supports.

Very good

World rank in 30s One of the best schools in Canada Excellent and competent faculty both and undergrad and graduate level Best influence within Canada and USA after

Challenging but rewarding workplace with state-of-the-art teaching and research facilities

Working as a TA for UBC Okanagan has been one of the most rewarding experiences I have had. The workplace culture is amazing, with a collaborative environment in which both Faculty and Staff are willing and ready to help you grow as a professional and meet and exceed your own goals. It was the best kind of job: one in which I could simultaneously share my own knowledge and learn from others, especially the students.

Productive academic environment

UBC is a major company and organization with decent administration practices and a clear vision. In my experience the university's administration and faculty work ok although there's sometimes issues with regards to budged allocation or strategic priorities.

Benefits

Cons

Salary not correlative with Vancouver's cost of living.

Fun workplace

Hanging out with other economic TAs was great. Office hours would be routine. Nothing difficult about this job. You need to have good time management to work here.

Teaching to first year undergraduate student literature course

I enjoyed teaching students. It was a great opportunity to improve my pedagogical skills.I enjoyed group discussions with the students. The professors that I assisted to were very helpful and always made me feel a part of big team.

Good money for the work

As a TA you can work part time 6 hours a week or full time 12 hours a week, experience will vary from course to course but most of the profs are really good to work with and make it easy for running labs/tutorials and the marking of assignments

Sharpened communication skills

Through this position, I learned how to simplify complicated ideas on the spot to aid students understand the course material. Communication with the professor was seamless and very simple since she was easy to work with and work for.

Pros

Great watching people learn.

Cons

Lots of grading.

Nice campus and facilities

Huge campus. There are many facilities that can entertain and stimulate students' curiosity. The location is beautiful: among nature, trees and ocean.

Highly intellectual

Experienced teaching assistants and professors are very supportive and willing to provide advice to new fellow assistants. The curriculum design and professional training were superb!

Great workplace

A fantastic job and a fantastic place to work. I was allowed freedom and flexibility to design my own lesson plans. Unfortunately, I had to graduate and could no longer be a teacher's assistant.

Great Way to Connect with Students and Teachers

As a TA at UBC you get to work one on one with professor and work to help your students understand the course material. It's a great way to give back to the school and network with other people in your field.

Pros

flexible hours

Nothing much to say, a well functioned place

learned to manage my time provides better help to others working is pretty enjoyable flexible working hours nice boss (maybe) the work is not intense fair paid

Changes for Teaching Assistants at UBC

Few years ago there was a negotiation with the union about changes to the TA contracts at UBC. Fortunately, most of them were implemented and now students benefit from inflation safe salaries, work hours limit and assistant with tuition in the later years of the graduate program. I believe those changes have been positive and necessary for a good life quality in the city.

Decent job

Just taught first year students about statistics and experimental design. Very easy job, about 15 hours a week, didnt pay well.

Teaching Assistant

Teaching students, learning how to prepare good lessons, good oversight. Job wasn't difficult. Teaching and helping students was enjoyable

Pros

Very rigid in terms of scheduling

Excellent

Excellent place to work. Supportive environment. Allows one to develop their abilities. Long hours and poor pay though.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of British Columbia. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement