University of British Columbia

University of British Columbia Employee Reviews for Research Assistant

Very conducive, inclusively accommodating work environment. It's understanding in terms of flexibility and student workloads, but very rigid in terms of productivity.
Pros
Very flexible and accomidating
Cons
Unreliable funding, projects could be abandoned halfway subject to funding. Makes you feel unaccomplished.
Work environment was welcoming and engaging. I learned a lot from this institution. Working in the lab, we were always on the go, but always learning new things.
Working for UBC has its many challenges and benefits. It is not the easiest to navigate at all times, and work can feel precarious at times, but it has incredible benefits that have allowed me to advance my mental and emotional health in ways I never imagined possible.
Working at UBC was a great experience as my superiors gave encouraged me to figure stuff out on my own. No hard feeling when things didnt work out, and lots of praise when they did.
This was an excellent opportunity for me to work with experts in the field of psychology and get a better understanding of the field of psychology. Positive learning environment.
Advance Labs with an excellent opportunity to learn the state of the art technology. Good place for making good academic connections and beautiful campus
Pros
Beautiful campus
Cons
Very Expensive place to live
Research is the best form of work, as it can be done anytime and as much someone wants. Research starts difficult with reading papers but really interesting when the practical is done. Apart from that the professors are great to seek help to or ask any questions.
Great working team at that time. Setting own hours and flexible time schedule makes it easy as part-time job while going to school. Doing research helps gaining experience when writing ones thesis.
Working at the UBC provides endless opportunity to be innovative in your work. The work-life balance can be easily achieved. Innovative and fun projects that keeps you engaged with new technology and advancements.
Pros
Exciting projects on real world applications
Cons
You need to be innovative and daring to try out new things
I worked there for only 4 months and then I started my PhD program there. As a research assistant, it is an perfect place to work. Professors are well-educated and very knoledable.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Old department
My work duties typically involved lab supervision and marking. Improved my communication skills. Well managed. Well nice and friendly work environment.
The experience will depend on the supervisor. My supervisor is very hardworking and we have a weekly meeting to discuss about the research process. I finished with a journal publication.
The professors at UBC are really nice and help students in the way they required. The mentors personally deal with students and keep an eye on the project timeline.
I loved working at UBCO as a research assistant. I learned a great deal on how to research, transcribe and self-discipline. I couldn't have asked for a better part time position to work at while I was still in school
It is difficult to write an effective review of my experiences as a PhD student at UBC as the most important aspects of a grad student's career varies depending on field of research and the supervisor. Make sure to thoroughly research research your lab and graduate adviser before accepting any offers! Aside from that, UBC is a great place: beautiful campus, delightful staff and students, and a great work/life balance. There are numerous funding opportunities for both local and international students. The work atmosphere is definitely more collaborative than competitive.
an absolute pleasure working as an academic copy and lay-out editor. hours varied based on the biannual publication date but were also predictable as a result. very grateful for this experience.
Was only working in part-time contract positions with the university but the lifestyle in Vancouver and the campus are excellent. My work experience here overall was excellent but I can only speak for my own faculty.
i worked with anthropology students and booked appointments and helped them conduct interviews and do a little translating. the bosses were great to work for as well
UBC is a great place to work. The pay scales are fair, the university is internationally respected as a hub of high quality research, and the campus is beautiful.
Lab work is based on individual effort. It involves data entry, computer skills, pathology, and in vivo studies. Cryostat machine often faulty and needed special hours of operation.
Pros
individual work
Cons
long hours to obtain results
UBC is a very good school, and I do learn a lot from this school. I will finish my Master degree this summer, and I hope I can find an ideal job for my future to use what I learned from the school.