University of British Columbia

Research Assistant51 reviews
Canada51 reviews

universitystudentprofessorbritishvancouvercampuslabcolumbia

Fast-paced work environment

Fast-paced work environment, fair salary, good workplace culture. Too much work during busy periods. Heavy load or work for cage processing and preparation. High level of responsibility for the animal's health and welfare.

Good benefits

Great extended health benefits and there's tuition waivers for staff. That is about it. Unfortunately the actual work was not as described, and I was not given the right opportunities to develop new skills or apply my skill set. No job security nor job fulfilment. Long commute to and from work, required to travel for work via public transit without reimbursement for transit costs. Only had work-life balance after I reduced my hours to part-time. Salary after taxes, even at full time hours, was hardly enough to meet the high costs of living in this city.

Insights into University of British Columbia

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Energizing work tasks

Fun workplace, good learning experience

Coworkers and supervisor are nice and helpful, good learning experience if you are willing to reach out and connect with the people working around you.

Poor work environment and pay

Not a great organization to work for as the growth is very slow, the salary is low and the management is poor. This was true for each research lab I worked in at UBC. The workload was very high and it didn't make sense because the salary was so low. The only good thing was that UBC had great benefits, but at a certain point, you have to get more out of a job than just that.

I worked at UBC as a research assistant and teaching assistant. I believe the company provides enough support for its employees. The environment is also very friendly

Great for research

Great place to learn and contribute to cutting edge research. Lots of smart individuals and high caliber professors. Highly recommend for young students.

Good place for PhD student

I am a PhD student in the department of chemistry. We work as teaching assistant and research assistant at the same time. people around you are mostly very nice. RA pay is kind of low

Smart professor to work with

Working in UBC is a great experience! The professors are super nice, smart and helpful. They care about your career development and they are trying their best to help you. Also, compared with US phd students, my phd has much better work life balance. I found this out after I started to do postdoc in the US. I really like UBC and my supervisor and I enjoy my life much better in Vancouver than in the US.

Inclusive Work Environment

Very conducive, inclusively accommodating work environment. It's understanding in terms of flexibility and student workloads, but very rigid in terms of productivity.

Pros

Very flexible and accomidating

Cons

Unreliable funding, projects could be abandoned halfway subject to funding. Makes you feel unaccomplished.

Work environment was welcoming and engaging. I learned a lot from this institution. Working in the lab, we were always on the go, but always learning new things.

Amazing opportunity for growth

Working for UBC has its many challenges and benefits. It is not the easiest to navigate at all times, and work can feel precarious at times, but it has incredible benefits that have allowed me to advance my mental and emotional health in ways I never imagined possible.

Fosters independence

Working at UBC was a great experience as my superiors gave encouraged me to figure stuff out on my own. No hard feeling when things didnt work out, and lots of praise when they did.

Excellent employment opportunity

This was an excellent opportunity for me to work with experts in the field of psychology and get a better understanding of the field of psychology. Positive learning environment.

Advance Labs with an excellent opportunity to learn the state of the art technology. Good place for making good academic connections and beautiful campus

Pros

Beautiful campus

Cons

Very Expensive place to live

Knowledge and learning.

Research is the best form of work, as it can be done anytime and as much someone wants. Research starts difficult with reading papers but really interesting when the practical is done. Apart from that the professors are great to seek help to or ask any questions.

Great way to start post-graduate work is being on a research team

Great working team at that time. Setting own hours and flexible time schedule makes it easy as part-time job while going to school. Doing research helps gaining experience when writing ones thesis.

Excellent place to work

Working at the UBC provides endless opportunity to be innovative in your work. The work-life balance can be easily achieved. Innovative and fun projects that keeps you engaged with new technology and advancements.

Pros

Exciting projects on real world applications

Cons

You need to be innovative and daring to try out new things

Good experience

I worked there for only 4 months and then I started my PhD program there. As a research assistant, it is an perfect place to work. Professors are well-educated and very knoledable.

Pros

Nice people

Cons

Old department

Productive, fun and friendly workplace

My work duties typically involved lab supervision and marking. Improved my communication skills. Well managed. Well nice and friendly work environment.

Fun research experience

The experience will depend on the supervisor. My supervisor is very hardworking and we have a weekly meeting to discuss about the research process. I finished with a journal publication.

Interactive and learning

The professors at UBC are really nice and help students in the way they required. The mentors personally deal with students and keep an eye on the project timeline.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of British Columbia. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement