University of British Columbia

University of British Columbia Employee Reviews for Post-doctoral Fellow

Excellent place to work. Beautiful weather and stunning location. A happy and balanced life. Supportive staff, readily available for support. Well organized and inclusive work culture
Well established research facilities and opportunities lift the candidate's profile and drive into do breakthrough in novel research directions. Well ranked and very welcoming.
working at UBC was a great experience for me , in fact I had opportunity to work under knowledgeable and experienced supervisors, so I could boost my skills and knowledge.
working as postdoc is not secure job and salary is very low with lots of responsibilities. It could help to improve the research quality but can not improve the opportunity for getting job in industry
People are very friendly and always willing to help, supervisors are supportive and helpful. Many opportunities and you can find all the resources you need to facilitate your research.The competition is fierce, and you have to work hard to stay.
Pros
People are so nice here.
Cons
Poor financial system. The information update is always delayed.
UBC is one of the world's premiere research universitities. It is a great place to work if you want a career in academics, as it is filled with some of the best minds around. Everyone works hard and the expectations are high, so bring your A game. The bureaucracy is a bit overwhelming and can be dispiriting at times.
Pros
Huge number of researchers
Cons
Long hours, expensive area
I am currently hired by the government of Canada conducting research at the University of British Columbia. There are interesting research projects at this university.
UBC is a great place to perform research near the ocean with spectacular buildings, views and great people who care about each other, Staff, Students and the environment. Everyone enjoys working there and strives to make this one of the best Universities for people to learn, for the well-being of the international community that live and study there and the rest of world. I have learned that there is great leadership and communication in each department to make us all work together to make progress with the various tasks and business plans that are proposed and carried out throughout each year.
-UBC is a great place to work in terms of job and benefits. UBC is a leading institution in scientific research and there you will work with bright people from all over the world and from different disciplines, and have access to state of the art research facilities. -As a scientist your day-to-day activities depend on the project you are involved and on the people of your lab, specially the principal investigator who sets the goals and the research mood (do your research). - Medical, dental, and optical benefits are great but salaries are not up to living expenses in Vancouver (a problem not unique to UBC). - As a postdoctoral fellow I met many researchers, had the ability of doing independent research, and learned new techniques. - As a postdoc there are few posibilities for doing teaching.
Pros
Great place to do science
Cons
Salaries not to par with living expenses
Great circumstance and well management. Training procedure is professional. Enjoyable work and learned a lots ranging from techniques to experimental design and project administration.
This is a good place if you manage to get a tenure position. Otherwise, there is no hope that they offer that.
Pros
Good work-life balance, fair compensation if you are tenured.
Cons
Not much career development if you are not tenure, Salaries are very low if you are not a tenure.
I started doing research at the University of British Columbia Okanagan Campus as a Ph.D. student in January 2009 and ended my studies in November 2012. During my studies I saw many changes to the University with a new Management and Engineering building opening up. I am continuing as a Post-Doctoral research fellow now at the university of British Columbia.
Very reasonable and considerate employer; felt a bit left out due to the isolating nature of academic work.
Pros
high flexibility, reasonable compensation, good work/life balance
Cons
lack of security, lack of clear tasks, slow-paced, low team morale and support