University of British Columbia

Post-doctoral Fellow15 reviews
Canada15 reviews

universitystudentprofessorbritishvancouvercampuslabcolumbia

Cutting edge research.

A lot of groundbreaking research going on here, especially in the faculty of medicine. There is also a lot of collaboration going on between the various labs.

Pros

Supportive team.

Cons

Low pay.

relaxed workplace

Easy to manage work-life balance. benefits from day 1. An open and diverse community fosters the inclusion of voices that have been underrepresented or discouraged.

Insights into University of British Columbia

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Energizing work tasks

Productive, competitive and joyful work

Excellent place to work. Beautiful weather and stunning location. A happy and balanced life. Supportive staff, readily available for support. Well organized and inclusive work culture

Excellent Research Cluster

Well established research facilities and opportunities lift the candidate's profile and drive into do breakthrough in novel research directions. Well ranked and very welcoming.

working at UBC was a great experience for me

working at UBC was a great experience for me , in fact I had opportunity to work under knowledgeable and experienced supervisors, so I could boost my skills and knowledge.

Postdoc

working as postdoc is not secure job and salary is very low with lots of responsibilities. It could help to improve the research quality but can not improve the opportunity for getting job in industry

Great city, great place to work!

People are very friendly and always willing to help, supervisors are supportive and helpful. Many opportunities and you can find all the resources you need to facilitate your research.The competition is fierce, and you have to work hard to stay.

Pros

People are so nice here.

Cons

Poor financial system. The information update is always delayed.

Great environment for an apsiring researcher

UBC is one of the world's premiere research universitities. It is a great place to work if you want a career in academics, as it is filled with some of the best minds around. Everyone works hard and the expectations are high, so bring your A game. The bureaucracy is a bit overwhelming and can be dispiriting at times.

Pros

Huge number of researchers

Cons

Long hours, expensive area

Productive work place

I am currently hired by the government of Canada conducting research at the University of British Columbia. There are interesting research projects at this university.

productive workplace

UBC is a great place to perform research near the ocean with spectacular buildings, views and great people who care about each other, Staff, Students and the environment. Everyone enjoys working there and strives to make this one of the best Universities for people to learn, for the well-being of the international community that live and study there and the rest of world. I have learned that there is great leadership and communication in each department to make us all work together to make progress with the various tasks and business plans that are proposed and carried out throughout each year.

A great place to do science

-UBC is a great place to work in terms of job and benefits. UBC is a leading institution in scientific research and there you will work with bright people from all over the world and from different disciplines, and have access to state of the art research facilities. -As a scientist your day-to-day activities depend on the project you are involved and on the people of your lab, specially the principal investigator who sets the goals and the research mood (do your research). - Medical, dental, and optical benefits are great but salaries are not up to living expenses in Vancouver (a problem not unique to UBC). - As a postdoctoral fellow I met many researchers, had the ability of doing independent research, and learned new techniques. - As a postdoc there are few posibilities for doing teaching.

Pros

Great place to do science

Cons

Salaries not to par with living expenses

Excellent company

Great circumstance and well management. Training procedure is professional. Enjoyable work and learned a lots ranging from techniques to experimental design and project administration.

A good place but not for career development

This is a good place if you manage to get a tenure position. Otherwise, there is no hope that they offer that.

Pros

Good work-life balance, fair compensation if you are tenured.

Cons

Not much career development if you are not tenure, Salaries are very low if you are not a tenure.

Productive and new wrking environment

I started doing research at the University of British Columbia Okanagan Campus as a Ph.D. student in January 2009 and ended my studies in November 2012. During my studies I saw many changes to the University with a new Management and Engineering building opening up. I am continuing as a Post-Doctoral research fellow now at the university of British Columbia.

A bit too lax for me

Very reasonable and considerate employer; felt a bit left out due to the isolating nature of academic work.

Pros

high flexibility, reasonable compensation, good work/life balance

Cons

lack of security, lack of clear tasks, slow-paced, low team morale and support

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of British Columbia. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement