University of British Columbia

University of British Columbia Employee Reviews for Graduate Researcher

Graduate Researcher17 reviews
Canada17 reviews

universitystudentprofessorbritishvancouvercampuslabcolumbia

Productive workplace and supportive colleagues

In general, UBC is a good place to work. People are nice and supportive. It could be stressful at times but generally OK. I would probably do it again.

Nice place

A very unforgettable memory of UBC when I spend 4+ yrs there. Nice place with an efficient management team, and nice people who are always ready to help. Casual and inclusive environment.

Insights into University of British Columbia

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Energizing work tasks

Supporting Environment

Positive points: 1. Great Work Culture2. Good research infrastructure3. Engaging, appreciative managerNegative Points:1. Work-life balance can be better

Productive and Collaborative Research Environment

- Good workplace culture- Collaborative- Access to world-class researchers- Beautiful Campus- Good benefits - Can be a little cliquey sometimes

Remote

Good. Nice supervisor. Schedule is flexible people are friendly work environment is nice Develop good programming skills quiz response need to spend time on learning and improving yourself

Fun workplace

I studied my M.A.Sc. degree at the University of British Columbia. It is a fun place to be, and there are lots of opportunities for you to explore. However, it could be better one day.

Great place to work for the 3 years I have been there.

Great place to work. Multicultural environment hardest part is the laisezz-faire which might be stressful if there is need for supervision Enjoyable part is that there is an inclusive culture

good work environment.

The best campus to work. Excellent people to work with. The professors are helpful. Fellow colleagues are nice and helpful. best experience for a graduate student.

Review

It was not a pleasant memory for me. My supervisor forced me to quit what I wanted to do. Thus, I quit my doctoral project and moved to masters'. My funding was stopped without any notice.

Pros

Cons

N/a

A nice place to work and learn

The friendly atmosphere of Composite research network at the University of British Columbia, Okanagan Campus led me to pursue my favorite field of education along with my job. The most enjoyable part of working there is working with passionate and collaborative colleagues.

Great organisation with diverse workforce

Working as a Research Assistant at UBC gives you a good amount of freedom to pursue the research of your interest while working with a really diverse set of people. Your supervisor plays a really important role in your learning and project progress, hence, be wise in choosing one.

Excellent

Typical day start with work plan, ends with satisfaction and hope for the next day. Opportunity to exercise the technical know-how. Great co-workers and management.

Environment

Overall, my experiences both as a student and an employee have been humbling and wonderful. I look forward to more scholarly and volunteer experiences at UBC. The environment fuels the ability to flourish with cooperative staff and students, encouraging mentors and unwavering resources.

Pros

Opportunities

Cons

Productive work place with great people

The hours are flexible and the work is always challenging and interesting; great place for research, good networking opportunities, and good working environment.

Good

The University of British Columbia is a global centre for research and teaching, consistently ranked among the 40 best universities in the world. Since 1915, UBC’s West Coast spirit has embraced innovation and challenged the status quo. Its entrepreneurial perspective encourages students, staff and faculty to challenge convention, lead discovery and explore new ways of learning. At UBC, bold thinking is given a place to develop into ideas that can change the world.

Vibrant academic work environment

Best part of any academic job is being relatively free to ask your own questions. A typical day would include performing experiments, discussing ideas with colleagues and attending a seminar from a researcher at a collaborating university. Near grant submission time, days are mostly filled with writing proposals and staff meetings.

Above average

Great co-workers Great place to work Reasonable management Crowd

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of British Columbia. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement