University of British Columbia
Happiness score is 67 out of 100

University of British Columbia Employee Reviews for Administrative Assistant

Large organization with outdated processes, making improvements by implementing a new ERP system. Slow to change but good salaries, benefits, work/life balance.
Faculty were great to work with, however the admin staff were always overworked and extremely stressed out. Very high turnover rate (unsurprisingly). Administration not willing to put money into hiring enough staff, then they wonder why people keep leaving. Made less than I did in my previous position, despite doing 4x the work - the role involved far more than one person can possibly accomplish alone, and was the most stressful job I've ever had. I hear this is a systemic issue across UBC. I would not work here again.
I love my job because everyone shares the same vision and is dedicated to the mission I love that I have a great degree of control and freedom within my job.
Good people, environment, and best benefits in town! Each department is different, some better to work in. Once you are in you can move around to find the best position for you.
Working as a student, staff is very understanding of "education comes first". The work environment is fun and friendly. Not hierarchical, everyone is on a horizontal playing field. Location is not the best if you do not live in this area. Lots of opportunity to grow within the department and/or university.
Pros
Flexible hours, lots of resources, many food and activities in walking distance, safe
Cons
Minimal benefits, location, complicated union system
I completed one term assignment with UBC Staffing Solutions. The communication was awful, and when the term was over they tossed me aside without a second though. I was promised additional assignments following my first one, but this never came to fruition.
An enjoyable workplace where you interact with all types of professions from doctors to care aids and learn something new everyday. It is dealing with the patients where you learn the most of an really value life in this work environment. Some politics occur but it is very minimal as there are more positives than negatives. Thoroughly enjoy each day spent here.
Pros
Interacting with all walks of life
Cons
Typical day at work if from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. I've learned in how to become a multi-tasker employee since I had 4 supervisors and 1 administrator. I managed to organized myself and I was receiving good reviews from my bosses. Management was good, always motivational with the employees and always encouraging to learn and study more courses for professional development. Maybe the hardest part was the distance from my apartment to there. I had to take 1 hour and a half to go from Burnaby to the Point Grey Campus. The most enjoyable part was I got to meet great people, friendly, excellent professionals and higher achievers. Also I had time to balance work and life.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
long distance to get there and salary a bit low.