University of British Columbia

Administrative Assistant13 reviews
Canada13 reviews

universitystudentprofessorbritishvancouvercampuslabcolumbia

Department Dependant

Working at UBC is a varied experience depending on the department you work for. I moved between a few departments. Two of which were so toxic there were a handful of people who left on stress leave within a few months of me starting, and others quit. The department I moved too is SO much better and actually gives good work/life balance and had good communication. My only word of warning it to watch for which departments are continually hiring roles (especially of those roles were advertised a few months before) - changes are the people in the department are leaving as soon as the toxicity gets to them. There is lots of opportunity to move around to different roles once you're in the door.

Hiring Solutions experience

HS is the internal placement agency within UBC. Their mandate is to hire advanced admin and executive support to various departments and schools on and off campus with the intent to eventually find a permanent placement. As a HS exmployee, you are often filling an administrative role while the department HR completes the hiring process for a permanent replacement. Each assignment may give you some skills but will lead to you a career dead-end - standard temp work.Typical day will depend on your work assignment and where you are assigned. Zoom is heavily used and can be faiguing. Depending on the department there may not be training or documentation so being able to work things out for yourself if a must. (In one case I filled in for someone who quit suddenly after 15 years in the position and didnt document their processes at all) Combine this with underwhelming and boring work, siloed groups, cold/distant work culture, daily parking rates, and last minute assignment changes (3-4 days notice is unacceptable yet it happened every time) it led to an unpleasant sense of being treated as disposable. As a result this was not a good fit for me.

Pros

Squirrels on Campus, The nice ladies at the Starbucks, big trees everywhere

Cons

Underwhelming and boring work, siloed groups, cold/distant work culture, expensive daily parking rates, and last minute assignment changes

Insights into University of British Columbia

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Energizing work tasks

Horrible pay, no room for advancement

Extremely low pay, no room for advancement in Union positions. Management actively tries to keep you down. Once trapped in the union it's almost impossible to get out.

Professional work environment in the office with lots of tasks to be done on Excel.

A good place to work right after graduating as you do learn a lot and there’s room for advancement in the company. Colleagues were too reserved and professional though, couldn’t really ever connect or joke around with them.

Pros

Provide good training and support

Cons

Lots of team meetings and one on one meetings with supervisors

A mixed bag

I felt isolated and ridiculed by most of my colleagues who often engaged in microaggression. My manager was okay but I knew not to report anyone to her. It was just me from a different ethnic background while the rest were 50/50 white/Asian. It's the culture at UBC anyway.

Pros

worklife balance, benefits

Cons

pay. lack of job security

Overworked, underpaid, and poorly managed

Faculty were great to work with, however the admin staff were always overworked and extremely stressed out. Very high turnover rate (unsurprisingly). Administration not willing to put money into hiring enough staff, then they wonder why people keep leaving. Made less than I did in my previous position, despite doing 4x the work - the role involved far more than one person can possibly accomplish alone, and was the most stressful job I've ever had. I hear this is a systemic issue across UBC. I would not work here again.

productive and fun work place

I love my job because everyone shares the same vision and is dedicated to the mission I love that I have a great degree of control and freedom within my job.

Large organization with outdated processes but good environment

Large organization with outdated processes, making improvements by implementing a new ERP system. Slow to change but good salaries, benefits, work/life balance.

Good people, environment, and best benefits in town! Each department is different, some better to work in. Once you are in you can move around to find the best position for you.

Friendly environment, room to grow

Working as a student, staff is very understanding of "education comes first". The work environment is fun and friendly. Not hierarchical, everyone is on a horizontal playing field. Location is not the best if you do not live in this area. Lots of opportunity to grow within the department and/or university.

Pros

Flexible hours, lots of resources, many food and activities in walking distance, safe

Cons

Minimal benefits, location, complicated union system

The pay is great, if you can get in

I completed one term assignment with UBC Staffing Solutions. The communication was awful, and when the term was over they tossed me aside without a second though. I was promised additional assignments following my first one, but this never came to fruition.

Great learning environment

An enjoyable workplace where you interact with all types of professions from doctors to care aids and learn something new everyday. It is dealing with the patients where you learn the most of an really value life in this work environment. Some politics occur but it is very minimal as there are more positives than negatives. Thoroughly enjoy each day spent here.

Pros

Interacting with all walks of life

Cons

Good place to work with good benefits

Typical day at work if from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. I've learned in how to become a multi-tasker employee since I had 4 supervisors and 1 administrator. I managed to organized myself and I was receiving good reviews from my bosses. Management was good, always motivational with the employees and always encouraging to learn and study more courses for professional development. Maybe the hardest part was the distance from my apartment to there. I had to take 1 hour and a half to go from Burnaby to the Point Grey Campus. The most enjoyable part was I got to meet great people, friendly, excellent professionals and higher achievers. Also I had time to balance work and life.

Pros

good benefits

Cons

long distance to get there and salary a bit low.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of British Columbia. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement