University of British Columbia
Happiness score is 63 out of 100

University of British Columbia Employee Reviews in Vancouver, BC

Vancouver, BC337 reviews

universitystudentprofessorbritishvancouvercampuslabcolumbia

Productive and a place of mind

You grow scientifically given your exposure to top scholars in the research field. Great guidance on research activities and opportunities to win awards and grants to secure funds for your studies. If you stand well you can easily get contracts to participate in teaching activities and become a teacher assistant or a lecturer

Great place to learn new things and have a life outside of work

The work was engaging and interesting, management was supportive but distant. It could sometimes be stressful to talk on the telephone all the time. People are ruder on the phone, even if they are technically your colleagues.

Insights into University of British Columbia

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Energizing work tasks

Nice place

A very unforgettable memory of UBC when I spend 4+ yrs there. Nice place with an efficient management team, and nice people who are always ready to help. Casual and inclusive environment.

Student Intern

The management was very responsive, friendly, and down-to-earth. The organization had interns and volunteers, both unpaid and all students. It was a rewarding experience.

Good benefits

Great extended health benefits and there's tuition waivers for staff. That is about it. Unfortunately the actual work was not as described, and I was not given the right opportunities to develop new skills or apply my skill set. No job security nor job fulfilment. Long commute to and from work, required to travel for work via public transit without reimbursement for transit costs. Only had work-life balance after I reduced my hours to part-time. Salary after taxes, even at full time hours, was hardly enough to meet the high costs of living in this city.

Work life balance

Work is flexible but could be long hours at times, depending on your career goal. The job is on the yearly contract as the job is on soft money, so no security.

Excellent culture

I love working at UBC. As a researcher, a typical day at work doesn't make sense. I have flexible hours. The most enjoyable part of the job is friendly and supportive colleagues and managers.Students can be difficult and challenging sometimes but we have good staff support to deal with difficult students too.

Pros

Great compensation and Benefits, Great culture

Cons

Lack of work-life balance

some great - some bad

UBC is called the golden handcuffs for a reason. The benefits are great, salary is good (depending on department) but there is little room for advancement.

Fun workplace

Fun and a lot of things to learn, except it can be a bit slow sometimes. Competition is low, there's not much pressure, but the department is a bit understaffed.

Work life balance and professional development

Great employer for benefits, work-life balance and career advancement.Salary could be better for the workload I have.UBC promotes mental health and professional development, encourage employees to keep their health in check and offers hybrid work for most all roles.

UBC Food Services

It is what is expected as a student job - low paying and tiring, but it is what it is! Good for a student looking to make some extra cash in a convenient way

Pros

Free lunch at some of the campus restaurants. You get to choose your own hours, and it is consistent for the rest of the school term

Cons

minimum wage, but it was expected

Beautiful campus setting, significant job security, lots of options (i.e. departments/faculties)

Easiest way to 'get in' is to start working for the onsite 'temping' agency (called UBC Hiring Solutions). Once employed as a temp for about 3 months, you are an 'insider' and have a way better chance of finding a permanent job. This is what I did. Otherwise, individual departments with job postings can only review your application if there are no suitable UBC candidates (i.e. insiders).In my 18 years at UBC, I worked for two different departments/faculties. There was little in common between the two. I enjoyed one, and not the other, due to the workplace culture. The first was very business-like, and a little stiff. The second was much more 'relaxed' in nature. With the first, the required dress code was 'business' or 'business-casual'. The second was completely optional, without 'rules' regarding dress code. So blue jeans were perfectly acceptable attire. UBC is a large corporate entity, and in my view quite hierarchical in terms of the power/organizational structure. In my view, unless you are management, the pay is not great. However, you do have job security as it is a unionized environment. You also have plenty of in-house opportunity for mobility within the organization, since there are many faculties, many departments, many positions. So if you aren't happy in one department, there are lots of other opportunities.The benefits are also quite good, and UBC also offers $$$ towards skill/career development. So for those who are ambitious in that way, I'd say it's a very good place to work. I would still be there if I hadn't left Vancouver.

Great Experience

I worked through an internship program that matched us with public sector clients. Well supported on the UBC side, and was a great way to build experience that I still draw on today in my career.

Respectful and supportive work environment

I loved working at enrolment services. Everyone is so helpful and nice. Overall just a great place to work. Great environment always learning something

Negative toxic work inviroment

Do not work for retail food services management is very poor in all levels,they care only about the bottom line not the people who help them get there,At the end of the day it's about the people that work the business that need to be looked after with respect not the management that don't now what there doing.

Pros

Non

Cons

Poor management

nasty bosses, find another place to work

The job itself is ok except that the bosses make everything you do more difficult by adding unnecessary steps. There are three levels of management over you in this position, they are all bored and just look for ways to make your job difficult and unpleasant. Staff are unionized so bosses treat them poorly, like enemies rather than teammates. It doesn't seem like the director or those beneath her have any education or training in management, they were simply promoted for lasting long enough in the department. It shows in the operation of student housing generally, and the demeanor of staff behind the desk - these are not nice people to work for, nor are they competent. In the end, I found a much better place to work with employers who treat us with kindness, and lead us with competence.

Pros

nice coworkers

Cons

terrible management

Fast-paced work environment

Fast-paced work environment, fair salary, good workplace culture. Too much work during busy periods. Heavy load or work for cage processing and preparation. High level of responsibility for the animal's health and welfare.

Supporting Environment

Positive points: 1. Great Work Culture2. Good research infrastructure3. Engaging, appreciative managerNegative Points:1. Work-life balance can be better

Very nice place to work, nice campus.

It was a very good experience working at UBCI learned something new everyday and the mangers and supervisors are very approachable. I really liked it!!!!

Fun and productive

Very good but at the same time can be boring. It is quite interesting company indeed. Sometime fast pace sometime slow. could be good. workplace culture is interesting.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of British Columbia. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement