University of British Columbia

University of British Columbia Employee Reviews in Vancouver, BC

Excellent place to work. Beautiful weather and stunning location. A happy and balanced life. Supportive staff, readily available for support. Well organized and inclusive work culture
Had benefits from day 1, very good employer and lots of opportunities to apply for internal jobs after hire. I really enjoy the management style and workplace culture of this institution.
Covid showed me that the university cares about its staff, and I feel that we are a huge part of the long term goals of the organization. I look forward to being there until I retire
This is honestly the worst place I have ever worked. Cons:Low pay, favoritism, bus throwing.Pros:Time off to apply for other jobsSave yourself time and DO NOT apply here.
very good university. Typical day of work is chill. Students are chill. Vancouver is chill. Even I am chill. There is nothing hard. Workplace culture rocks!
Great stepping stone for those looking to advance into management or law enforcement. Always look at coming to work with a positive attitude and things will be easier.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Shift work can have an effect
- Slow Paced - Inter team communication is not good - very okay management They need to establish proper matrix structure so that the teams can work better, rather than have a silo structure for each team.
Very conducive, inclusively accommodating work environment. It's understanding in terms of flexibility and student workloads, but very rigid in terms of productivity.
Pros
Very flexible and accomidating
Cons
Unreliable funding, projects could be abandoned halfway subject to funding. Makes you feel unaccomplished.
The union and bureaucracy is a double-edged sword. I was paid very well but my computer was constantly slow to the point that copy paste, double clicks, and even typing in text boxes would not work reliably. I reported it many times and was told there was nothing they could do to fix it. I felt like a chef with a dull knife. If you are looking for job security then this is the perfect job. If you are looking to be treated like a person then consider elsewhere.
Pros
Good pay, strong union
Cons
Poor equipment, overnight shifts, soul-eroding
Always busy days. Learned more about time management. Business culture. Pot lucks with staff most enjoyable part. Commute was hardest part. Good managment.
Good pay and benefits, as well as friendly staffs. One thing though is there's alot of management issues and scheduling so those i always keep on eye on it.
My 15 years of work experience, has very good management and co-workers. Very helpful staff. Training is very professional. I enjoyed working with UBC.
Good. Nice supervisor. Schedule is flexible people are friendly work environment is nice Develop good programming skills quiz response need to spend time on learning and improving yourself
A typical day at work always starts from going through tons of emails. The most important thing that I have learnt is to cooperate with you team members, to learn from each other, to help each other and to share views with people around you. The experience helps improve your management skills including time management, and project management.
It's been wonderful 6 months till now at UBC. My workplace is full of fun and tons of things to learn about. I started as Database Developer, but have been learning about front-end( HTML, CSS, JQuery) and linux administration as well. I have been migrating data to UBC Cloud and it's fun to learn about the migration process. My team members are great and my manager is always supportive.
It was a good place to start for a part-time worker. The pay is minimum wage, but for a student just starting off, it is decent. the work place culture is very friendly and helpful. Most important think learned is how to work in a fast paced environment.
I studied my M.A.Sc. degree at the University of British Columbia. It is a fun place to be, and there are lots of opportunities for you to explore. However, it could be better one day.
Need more communications with managements often for better performance at work Only few people are working with 50-60 patients Not enough people but they don’t give more hours to work
The job taught me a lot and since you live where you work you have to get used to creating a work-life balance but the amount of work you do to the amount you get paid isn't the same.
Good workplace, very good benefit but hard to get hours. Good coworkers, workplace culture is relaxed. Management is ok . Learned lot of new things at work.
The library is the worst place, because people complain a lot. It is a very toxic environment. The moment you set foot there you start hearing complains about the work environment. There have been cases where people have not been promoted because of seniority and the university has been sued internally and people receive millions of dollars in compensation and still keep their jobs doing very minimal. Communications lacks in this area and if you do something wrong to complain this is view as not being a team member and rumours would start to spread. Very toxic