University of British Columbia

University of British Columbia Employee Reviews in Kelowna, BC

The work environment at UBC is fairly good, especially if you are a student in need of part time work that fits around your schedule- not the other way around. Working for the university as a student means your employer will do almost anything to make sure you have a schedule that works for you and I appreciated that very much.
Pros
Work-life balance, convenient location
Cons
No benefits
Working as an RA, you have no private life. You’re never fully away from your job. It’s very stressful to not be able to separate your work life and personal life. Also, you soooo don’t get paid enough for the amount of work you’re doing. But! The people that you work with legitimately care about you. And they’re there for you. Having such a supportive community is amazing
Pros
Management is great, employees are great
Cons
Never off the clock, not paid enough
Working as a TA for UBC Okanagan has been one of the most rewarding experiences I have had. The workplace culture is amazing, with a collaborative environment in which both Faculty and Staff are willing and ready to help you grow as a professional and meet and exceed your own goals. It was the best kind of job: one in which I could simultaneously share my own knowledge and learn from others, especially the students.
HR are bullies and so very toxic. I’ve never seen anything like this before. I’ve seen several long term staff get disciplined or fired for being injured on the job. As soon as your injured ( at work!!!) they will lie and cheat to get rid of you..... Do not work here. UBCO’s HR is toxic.
I was hired to take notes/read out loud/study with my fellow students who had learning disabilities such as brain injuries/seizure disorders and dyslexia. The management at UBCO was horrible, if they had just let me and my students work things out between us it would have been way easier. But they ended up confusing matters between the four of us. I did get access to some good resources from UBCO to help them out though, so it wasn't all bad.
Hanging out with other economic TAs was great. Office hours would be routine. Nothing difficult about this job. You need to have good time management to work here.
Typical day included researching various sustainable designs for the sustainability office and managing a small group of students. We did cost benefit analysis' and value engineering along with creating presentations and reports for the sustainability office.
This was an excellent opportunity for me to work with experts in the field of psychology and get a better understanding of the field of psychology. Positive learning environment.
My work at UBCO was brief but enjoyable. I got to work with others that were in my group and developed surveys for student lead bodies on campus. It was an exciting experience!
The professors will motivate you to find your path and follow your dreams. They will be available at all times to answer any question to help you achieve greatness.
I learned alot when I did a short internship at the university of British Columbia. It was a good place to start seeing how school can be applied in the real world.
I enjoyed teaching students. It was a great opportunity to improve my pedagogical skills.I enjoyed group discussions with the students. The professors that I assisted to were very helpful and always made me feel a part of big team.
Working at UBC Okanagan was a positive, life changing experience for the better. Fabulous people and wonderful oportunities. Wonderful opportunities for growth and change.
Pros
Wonderful opportunities for growth and change.
Cons
All good experiences.
It was not a pleasant memory for me. My supervisor forced me to quit what I wanted to do. Thus, I quit my doctoral project and moved to masters'. My funding was stopped without any notice.
Pros
Cons
N/a
As a TA you can work part time 6 hours a week or full time 12 hours a week, experience will vary from course to course but most of the profs are really good to work with and make it easy for running labs/tutorials and the marking of assignments
Research is the best form of work, as it can be done anytime and as much someone wants. Research starts difficult with reading papers but really interesting when the practical is done. Apart from that the professors are great to seek help to or ask any questions.
Nice place to work at, especially if you work in a team. The pay is good and people around you are good. Benefits are amazing too, the only thing that is a con is the Kelowna campus which is great but it is based in between no where.
Good people, environment, and best benefits in town! Each department is different, some better to work in. Once you are in you can move around to find the best position for you.
Working at UBC Okanagan is most enjoyable. It is a very good place to work and the wages are reasonable. Hours of work are also very reasonable. Very beautiful campus and always growing and expanding.
Management was poor in some departments. Seemed like they had too much on their plates and didn't know how to delegate. Great environment to work in though! Very flexible with school schedule.
I taught vector graphics in a first year course. I would start by arriving early to set up the lab, make sure the chairs where in the right spot and the the computers worked. I'd explain what that days lab work was and how to do it for the first ten to twenty minutes then assist students individually with their labs for the next forty minutes. I'd then set the room up and do it again for the next class. On Wednesdays we (myself and the other TA) would meet with the professor to determine how the class is progressing and decide what the next lab session should comprise of.
Pros
I could grade assignments when desired aslong as they were completed befor the next lab.
Cons
Plans and criteria for labs would be changed without being informed.