University of British Columbia
Happiness score is 60 out of 100

University of British Columbia Employee Reviews

Canada428 reviews

Good university to attend as a student

Good university to attend as a student and there are a lot of things you could learn while you are there. I am not too sure what it would be like working there though.

Since Implementing a new ERP System work culture has dropped significantly

Used to be a great place to work but with the implementation of a new ERP system the staff are now overworked and knowing that the new system costs will result in massive layoffs staff have become defensive and unwilling to take ownership. Toxic environment.

Poor work environment and pay

Not a great organization to work for as the growth is very slow, the salary is low and the management is poor. This was true for each research lab I worked in at UBC. The workload was very high and it didn't make sense because the salary was so low. The only good thing was that UBC had great benefits, but at a certain point, you have to get more out of a job than just that.

mundane work, zero opportunity for advancement. Golden handcuffs, sadly

an administrative role at UBC is for people who have zero ambition, who crave security and are not concerned about the poverty-level salary. Too many unionized employees at UBC (CUPE) who are lazy. THe roles here require zero creativity, and there is no incentive to work hard

Miss led

Was under the impression that it was a full time job, but after starting it turned out to be part time. Work for a full year and still no benefits. So mislead.

Stressful environment, politics everywhere

Prepare for heavy workloads since there is never enough budget to higher badly needed help but there is money to throw around on political favors and appeasement. You will be thrown under the bus.You will receive empty promises.You will tossed aside after they have used you up.You will however have plenty of time off to find a better job unless they burn you out first.

Good place

Good place to work. People are nice and great place to learn. Good benefits , location is nice but very far from the rest of Vancouver. great day care

Productive, relaxing and fun

Working as a teaching assistant for one of the econ courses. The professor I'm working for is really nice. The pay is also pretty nice for an undergrad college student.

The Vancouver Campus is a beautiful place to work

Transit is easy to UBC and will be even easier when the new skytrain goes in. It is a great place to work, you can take a walk on your lunch and enjoy the beautiful campus.

Pros

Great pay and benefits

Cons

work can be repetitive

I worked at UBC as a research assistant and teaching assistant. I believe the company provides enough support for its employees. The environment is also very friendly

Fast paced, heavy workload, enjoyable

I found the work load crossed over onto my personal life more than I had hoped for. I LOVED my students and teaching them. I found the expectation of paper work (review and final reports, assignments, assessments, essays, etc) for the clinical aspect of the nursing course was heavy and very time consuming. This was on top of the actual 12hr clinical teaching shifts.I also found that the clinical instructor was given too many nursing students to be able to assist and assess them properly throughout the 12hr shift.

Pretty good to work as a grad student

Nice to work here as a teaching assistant while a grad student. Pays fairly well, training sessions offered, and helpful staff. Overall positive experience.

Great employer

Worked for less than a year and really appreciated the other staff at UBC. I left due to the nature of the work (short term) as it was a lab position for a student. Would recommend again.

relaxed place

Pleasant experience with great coworkers who are very friendly and understanding. Good training with project manager who was available to answer all my questions .

Wonderful department of medicine

I enjoyed every minute of working with the individuals in the faculty of medicine. My only complaint was that the contract position I and over 60 other tutors filled was paid often 3 months or more after the work had been completed. This was a payroll department issue and not the fault of the department of medicine. I would have given 5 stars across the board if not for this MAJOR flaw.

laid back jobs but no career advancement

I am a student worker at one faculty at UBC. My job is like the full-time job but I only work for 10h/week. The pay is quite low and they didn't increase the pay for 3 years (as a student I don't complaint much)The work is super easy and laid back. People are nice. It's just there is no career advancement in my department. If you like to settle then working at UBC is fine

Pros

easy work

Cons

boring, no room for growth

Great place for students to work at

Worked as a Teaching AssistantDuties included- Acting as a liaison between students and professor- Marking exams- sitting in classes Quick Note: Usually these jobs are only available to graduate students and are not available to those who are not students at UBC

Cutting edge research.

A lot of groundbreaking research going on here, especially in the faculty of medicine. There is also a lot of collaboration going on between the various labs.

Pros

Supportive team.

Cons

Low pay.

More accountability required at all levels.

UBC can be a great place to work but it is unfortunate to see lack of accountability and abuse of employee benefits from those who know the UBC system inside and out.

UBC Okanagan

Unfortunately the facilities management dept is managed by the old boys club, the FM leadership create a very unhappy and negative work environment. The workers that report to them are always job hunting, moral is terrible and staff turnover is high. Pay rate for the blue collar worker is low but you know that coming in. I do not recommend working here unless you enjoy being micromanaged and disrespected by the facilities management leadership.

Pros

Great extended health and dental plan

Cons

Low pay, micromanaged, disrespected workers, little to no opportunities for advancement, they promote by hiring external applicants instead of promoting qualified applicants from within.

The amount of support available to employed students

Academic work positions for students here are great. They help students build skills, friendships with their supervisors, and access necessary supports.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of British Columbia. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement