University of British Columbia
Happiness score is 63 out of 100

University of British Columbia Employee Reviews

universitystudentprofessorbritishvancouvercampuslabcolumbia

Work was all done from home, or in a class room

Teaching assistant job for a data analytics class, where I was tasked with recreating the whole class project, by myself, in 1 week and marking 70 projects, 5 times for each addition. Sometimes being a TA can be high pressure like the situation I was in. Other times being a TA can be easy, like monitoring some students during an exam or holding office hours. Overall it is luck of the draw.

Productive and a place of mind

You grow scientifically given your exposure to top scholars in the research field. Great guidance on research activities and opportunities to win awards and grants to secure funds for your studies. If you stand well you can easily get contracts to participate in teaching activities and become a teacher assistant or a lecturer

Insights into University of British Columbia

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Energizing work tasks

Productive workplace and supportive colleagues

In general, UBC is a good place to work. People are nice and supportive. It could be stressful at times but generally OK. I would probably do it again.

Department Dependant

Working at UBC is a varied experience depending on the department you work for. I moved between a few departments. Two of which were so toxic there were a handful of people who left on stress leave within a few months of me starting, and others quit. The department I moved too is SO much better and actually gives good work/life balance and had good communication. My only word of warning it to watch for which departments are continually hiring roles (especially of those roles were advertised a few months before) - changes are the people in the department are leaving as soon as the toxicity gets to them. There is lots of opportunity to move around to different roles once you're in the door.

Great place to learn new things and have a life outside of work

The work was engaging and interesting, management was supportive but distant. It could sometimes be stressful to talk on the telephone all the time. People are ruder on the phone, even if they are technically your colleagues.

Nice place

A very unforgettable memory of UBC when I spend 4+ yrs there. Nice place with an efficient management team, and nice people who are always ready to help. Casual and inclusive environment.

Student Intern

The management was very responsive, friendly, and down-to-earth. The organization had interns and volunteers, both unpaid and all students. It was a rewarding experience.

Supportive, and team forward workplace

This workplace was friendly, supportive, and put high value in a productive and team oriented environment. They encouraged growth in your skill set, and supported you in whatever areas you required it. I enjoyed going to work everyday, both for the environment, the co-workers, and management.

Nice starting place

Great place to work as a student employee. Very friendly staff and relaxing office environment. A bonus is to work at UBC's beautiful campus. Some offices don't have AC, which could be a downside.

Good benefits

Great extended health benefits and there's tuition waivers for staff. That is about it. Unfortunately the actual work was not as described, and I was not given the right opportunities to develop new skills or apply my skill set. No job security nor job fulfilment. Long commute to and from work, required to travel for work via public transit without reimbursement for transit costs. Only had work-life balance after I reduced my hours to part-time. Salary after taxes, even at full time hours, was hardly enough to meet the high costs of living in this city.

Easy going job

Very easy place to work, depending on the position and what department you are in. Working as a student in labs is cool, and can help get you some more relevant work experience to go along with your degree.

Work life balance

Work is flexible but could be long hours at times, depending on your career goal. The job is on the yearly contract as the job is on soft money, so no security.

Excellent culture

I love working at UBC. As a researcher, a typical day at work doesn't make sense. I have flexible hours. The most enjoyable part of the job is friendly and supportive colleagues and managers.Students can be difficult and challenging sometimes but we have good staff support to deal with difficult students too.

Pros

Great compensation and Benefits, Great culture

Cons

Lack of work-life balance

some great - some bad

UBC is called the golden handcuffs for a reason. The benefits are great, salary is good (depending on department) but there is little room for advancement.

Fun workplace

Fun and a lot of things to learn, except it can be a bit slow sometimes. Competition is low, there's not much pressure, but the department is a bit understaffed.

Work life balance and professional development

Great employer for benefits, work-life balance and career advancement.Salary could be better for the workload I have.UBC promotes mental health and professional development, encourage employees to keep their health in check and offers hybrid work for most all roles.

Good work-life balance

Co-workers are great and always willing to help you out. Efficient in the organization and structure that has been laid out. Clear expectations of the role are provided.

Productive and fun place to work at

There's not too much work, just enoughFriendly co-workers who respect each otherManagement is also cool, I liked them a lotAll in all, it is a good job

UBC Food Services

It is what is expected as a student job - low paying and tiring, but it is what it is! Good for a student looking to make some extra cash in a convenient way

Pros

Free lunch at some of the campus restaurants. You get to choose your own hours, and it is consistent for the rest of the school term

Cons

minimum wage, but it was expected

Beautiful campus setting, significant job security, lots of options (i.e. departments/faculties)

Easiest way to 'get in' is to start working for the onsite 'temping' agency (called UBC Hiring Solutions). Once employed as a temp for about 3 months, you are an 'insider' and have a way better chance of finding a permanent job. This is what I did. Otherwise, individual departments with job postings can only review your application if there are no suitable UBC candidates (i.e. insiders).In my 18 years at UBC, I worked for two different departments/faculties. There was little in common between the two. I enjoyed one, and not the other, due to the workplace culture. The first was very business-like, and a little stiff. The second was much more 'relaxed' in nature. With the first, the required dress code was 'business' or 'business-casual'. The second was completely optional, without 'rules' regarding dress code. So blue jeans were perfectly acceptable attire. UBC is a large corporate entity, and in my view quite hierarchical in terms of the power/organizational structure. In my view, unless you are management, the pay is not great. However, you do have job security as it is a unionized environment. You also have plenty of in-house opportunity for mobility within the organization, since there are many faculties, many departments, many positions. So if you aren't happy in one department, there are lots of other opportunities.The benefits are also quite good, and UBC also offers $$$ towards skill/career development. So for those who are ambitious in that way, I'd say it's a very good place to work. I would still be there if I hadn't left Vancouver.

fun workplace

Management gave lots of opportunities to explore talents and to grow your skills. Staff are respectful and friendly, fostering a nice working environment for all.

Pros

Access to events, flexible working schedule

Cons

Opportunities of advancement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of British Columbia. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement