University of British Columbia
University of British Columbia Employee Review

Wonderful place to learn and work

7 January 2020
I really enjoyed my time studying and working at UNBC. There are many positions available for students, and the hours are flexible allowing you to work around your classes. Professors and support staff are very supportive and encouraging.
5.0Job security/advancement
5 December 2019
Same role
Tutor and Peer Aid (Former Employee) - Kelowna, BC
I was hired to take notes/read out loud/study with my fellow students who had learning disabilities such as brain injuries/seizure disorders and dyslexia. The management at UBCO was horrible, if they had just let me and my students work things out between us it would have been way easier. But they ended up confusing matters between the four of us. I did get access to some good resources from UBCO to help them out though, so it wasn't all bad.
6 May 2021
power engineer (Current Employee) - Kelowna, BC
UBC BCGEU position is a dead end job with a great benefit package. The wages are very low however you know that coming in and may be able to deal with that aspect. The charge engineer and management team in the facilities department create a toxic work environment. There is an old boys club mentality and change is desperately needed, the existing work environment its not a healthy or positive workplace.
Pros
Benifit package
Cons
As mentioned
12 April 2021
Residence Advisor (Former Employee) - Kelowna, BC
Working as an RA, you have no private life. You’re never fully away from your job. It’s very stressful to not be able to separate your work life and personal life. Also, you soooo don’t get paid enough for the amount of work you’re doing. But! The people that you work with legitimately care about you. And they’re there for you. Having such a supportive community is amazing
Pros
Management is great, employees are great
Cons
Never off the clock, not paid enough