University of British Columbia
University of British Columbia Employee Review

Great fit for students

9 July 2020
The work environment at UBC is fairly good, especially if you are a student in need of part time work that fits around your schedule- not the other way around. Working for the university as a student means your employer will do almost anything to make sure you have a schedule that works for you and I appreciated that very much.
4.0Job security/advancement
Pros
Work-life balance, convenient location
Cons
No benefits
12 April 2021
Residence Advisor (Former Employee) - Kelowna, BC
Working as an RA, you have no private life. You’re never fully away from your job. It’s very stressful to not be able to separate your work life and personal life. Also, you soooo don’t get paid enough for the amount of work you’re doing. But! The people that you work with legitimately care about you. And they’re there for you. Having such a supportive community is amazing
Pros
Management is great, employees are great
Cons
Never off the clock, not paid enough
10 March 2020
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) - Kelowna, BC
Working as a TA for UBC Okanagan has been one of the most rewarding experiences I have had. The workplace culture is amazing, with a collaborative environment in which both Faculty and Staff are willing and ready to help you grow as a professional and meet and exceed your own goals. It was the best kind of job: one in which I could simultaneously share my own knowledge and learn from others, especially the students.
19 December 2019
Lab Assistant (Current Employee) - Kelowna, BC
HR are bullies and so very toxic. I’ve never seen anything like this before. I’ve seen several long term staff get disciplined or fired for being injured on the job. As soon as your injured ( at work!!!) they will lie and cheat to get rid of you..... Do not work here. UBCO’s HR is toxic.