University of British Columbia

University of British Columbia Employee Reviews

Canada377 reviews
the environment is really good for working and studying
A typical day at work always starts from going through tons of emails. The most important thing that I have learnt is to cooperate with you team members, to learn from each other, to help each other and to share views with people around you. The experience helps improve your management skills including time management, and project management.
Work 12 hours a day four days on four days off. You get decent adequate pay but still below a liveable standard. You get a lot of time off. You need to take an interest in your job, be a self-starter, take pride in your work. Look for a need and then fill it.
waiter
My Home Food is a Chinese restaurant at UBC village, and I worked there about 30 hours per month.
I am working there for getting some experiences about Food Nutrition and Health.
Excellent workplace with lots of things to learn
It's been wonderful 6 months till now at UBC. My workplace is full of fun and tons of things to learn about. I started as Database Developer, but have been learning about front-end( HTML, CSS, JQuery) and linux administration as well. I have been migrating data to UBC Cloud and it's fun to learn about the migration process.
My team members are great and my manager is always supportive.
Job Satisfaction Depends on Co-workers
While it is hard to balance your work life and the rest of your life because you live where you work, when you have great co-workers the job is amazing! However, if your co-workers are less passionate about community-building or do not want to bond as much, the job can be draining without much benefit. But definitely would recommend being a Residence Advisor to all as it can provide you with a sense of belonging on such a large campus.
Good place to start as a part-time worker
It was a good place to start for a part-time worker. The pay is minimum wage, but for a student just starting off, it is decent. the work place culture is very friendly and helpful. Most important think learned is how to work in a fast paced environment.
Fun workplace
I studied my M.A.Sc. degree at the University of British Columbia. It is a fun place to be, and there are lots of opportunities for you to explore. However, it could be better one day.
It’s ok
Need more communications with managements often for better performance at work

Only few people are working with 50-60 patients

Not enough people but they don’t give more hours to work
-Good Management
-Great Culture, positive place to work

-Great work life balance

-great learning environment

- Excellent leadership with opportunity to grow
Very good
World rank in 30s
One of the best schools in Canada

Excellent and competent faculty both and undergrad and graduate level

Best influence within Canada and USA after
Worked as a residence advisor
The job taught me a lot and since you live where you work you have to get used to creating a work-life balance but the amount of work you do to the amount you get paid isn't the same.
Taught young coders about coding
During the code camp, I assisted the camp teachers introducing the two fundamental language of website, HTML and CSS. Near the end of the camp, every student was able to build their unique websites. I really enjoyed guiding the young coders to explore the beauty of the complex programming world.
Challenging but rewarding workplace with state-of-the-art teaching and research facilities
Working as a TA for UBC Okanagan has been one of the most rewarding experiences I have had. The workplace culture is amazing, with a collaborative environment in which both Faculty and Staff are willing and ready to help you grow as a professional and meet and exceed your own goals. It was the best kind of job: one in which I could simultaneously share my own knowledge and learn from others, especially the students.
Good work place
Good workplace, very good benefit but hard to get hours. Good coworkers, workplace culture is relaxed. Management is ok . Learned lot of new things at work.
Overworked, underpaid, and poorly managed
Faculty were great to work with, however the admin staff were always overworked and extremely stressed out. Very high turnover rate (unsurprisingly). Administration not willing to put money into hiring enough staff, then they wonder why people keep leaving. Made less than I did in my previous position, despite doing 4x the work - the role involved far more than one person can possibly accomplish alone, and was the most stressful job I've ever had. I hear this is a systemic issue across UBC. I would not work here again.
Worked at the Library - Not pleasant
The library is the worst place, because people complain a lot. It is a very toxic environment. The moment you set foot there you start hearing complains about the work environment. There have been cases where people have not been promoted because of seniority and the university has been sued internally and people receive millions of dollars in compensation and still keep their jobs doing very minimal.

Communications lacks in this area and if you do something wrong to complain this is view as not being a team member and rumours would start to spread. Very toxic
you'd think it would be better
.. very disconnected from department to department. Campus is nice but hard to commute and not paid enough to live closer. Management can treat "admin staff" as if they are beneath them.
Opportunity To Work on Amazing Research
UBC provides the opportunity to work on some amazing research. There was the opportunity to work with various projects. The advisers and managers were supportive and encouraging.
Pay and safety standards were pathetic
Field crews for biology research projects sent into remote location with no cell service, no radios, no one knew where we were and no safety training or plans. At one point our crew lead asked us to walk into a wildfire and stomp it out. Job description said housing would be provided, but half the season would have been camping in the middle of nowhere with zero facilities and closest town an hour away... and no camping equipment, food or water, or proper home base is provided, everything is out of pocket for a minimum wage job. When safety concerns were communicated to professor leading the project, they put the blame on me and said I don't know the standards of the industry. It doesn't take much to understand that sending field crews into the wilderness with no radios or safety equipment is definitely not acceptable in any industry.
Cons
Poor safety, poor pay
Easy part time job.
I only worked about 7ish hours a week for 2 months. It was fun. It gave me something to do on those days. Met lots of nice people. Got my next job through meeting a parent there.
Reffing
This job needs weekly commitment. Also, there is a monthly survey usually conducted at the end of each term. This survey is based on ref progress and the ability to work.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of British Columbia. Our community is ready to answer.
4.2