University of British Columbia Employee Reviews

A tough job but a rewarding one
University Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC26 September 2018
I worked as a sessional lecturer. Very hard work for secretarial wages--disappointing after finishing my Ph.D., but I learned a lot about university life from the inside, and how a department should be run.
Pros
colourful colleagues and teaching experience
Cons
pitiful salar
Good experience
Research assistant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC22 September 2018
I worked there for only 4 months and then I started my PhD program there. As a research assistant, it is an perfect place to work. Professors are well-educated and very knoledable.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Old department
Productive, fun and friendly workplace
Research and Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC19 September 2018
My work duties typically involved lab supervision and marking. Improved my communication skills. Well managed. Well nice and friendly work environment.
Graduate Advisor/Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC14 September 2018
Nice place to work at, especially if you work in a team. The pay is good and people around you are good. Benefits are amazing too, the only thing that is a con is the Kelowna campus which is great but it is based in between no where.
Good employer
Program Assistant, Workplace Learning (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC14 September 2018
Great employer because of the benefits, but things get done slowly because of how many staff there are. Things have to pass through multiple hands to get done - not the most efficient
excellent work but low pay
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC30 August 2018
teaching is a calling and i love it. My student ratings are consistently very high and i am in a good place as a university educator.
The pay is just too low
Postdoc
Postdoctoral Fellow (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC18 August 2018
working as postdoc is not secure job and salary is very low with lots of responsibilities.
It could help to improve the research quality but can not improve the opportunity for getting job in industry
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC8 August 2018
Good people, environment, and best benefits in town! Each department is different, some better to work in. Once you are in you can move around to find the best position for you.
Fun research experience
Research Assistant - Auction Theory (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC7 August 2018
The experience will depend on the supervisor. My supervisor is very hardworking and we have a weekly meeting to discuss about the research process. I finished with a journal publication.
Friendly environment, room to grow
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 August 2018
Working as a student, staff is very understanding of "education comes first". The work environment is fun and friendly. Not hierarchical, everyone is on a horizontal playing field. Location is not the best if you do not live in this area. Lots of opportunity to grow within the department and/or university.
Pros
Flexible hours, lots of resources, many food and activities in walking distance, safe
Cons
Minimal benefits, location, complicated union system
Room to improve
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC19 July 2018
This may vary greatly depending on the department or even your supervisor. I have a research role - this review certainly
The job is certainly very interesting and engaging with the opportunity to work with brilliant colleagues and students. In my particular case I have a good deal of freedom to define the problems I work on and to continue learning new things. On the flip side I get very limited amount of professional support. Career advancement opportunities are bleak. Physical space is really not great
Pros
decent freedom to pursue academic interests, talented collaborators
Cons
inadequate career advancement opportunities, low pay, bad physical working environment
Posdoctoral Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC28 June 2018
I had the opportunity to work in a competitive research environment in the field o molecular microbiology. It was highly productive. I had access to all necessary equipment to carry out my research topics.
Pros
Neccesary Infraestructure
Cons
To be competitive, a lot of time is needed
Nice place to work
Admin Support (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC11 June 2018
Working at UBC Okanagan is most enjoyable. It is a very good place to work and the wages are reasonable. Hours of work are also very reasonable. Very beautiful campus and always growing and expanding.
Great job but managment not good
International Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC1 June 2018
Management was poor in some departments. Seemed like they had too much on their plates and didn't know how to delegate. Great environment to work in though! Very flexible with school schedule.
Good workplace but could of been managed better.
Teacher’s Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC24 May 2018
I taught vector graphics in a first year course.

I would start by arriving early to set up the lab, make sure the chairs where in the right spot and the the computers worked. I'd explain what that days lab work was and how to do it for the first ten to twenty minutes then assist students individually with their labs for the next forty minutes. I'd then set the room up and do it again for the next class.

On Wednesdays we (myself and the other TA) would meet with the professor to determine how the class is progressing and decide what the next lab session should comprise of.
Pros
I could grade assignments when desired aslong as they were completed befor the next lab.
Cons
Plans and criteria for labs would be changed without being informed.
Interactive and learning
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC23 May 2018
The professors at UBC are really nice and help students in the way they required. The mentors personally deal with students and keep an eye on the project timeline.
Learning
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  ubc15 May 2018
Lots of new things to learn and the team was very understanding and eager to help. The team would use extra time to train me and teach me the flow of the environment.
Enjoyable, easy going environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC14 May 2018
I loved working at UBCO as a research assistant. I learned a great deal on how to research, transcribe and self-discipline. I couldn't have asked for a better part time position to work at while I was still in school
Great environment and People
Desktop Analyst (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC10 May 2018
Although this position was for a 3-month contract, I very quickly felt like part of the family. The campus environment is a very desirable work location.
Beautiful campus filled with talented students
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC1 May 2018
It is difficult to write an effective review of my experiences as a PhD student at UBC as the most important aspects of a grad student's career varies depending on field of research and the supervisor. Make sure to thoroughly research research your lab and graduate adviser before accepting any offers!

Aside from that, UBC is a great place: beautiful campus, delightful staff and students, and a great work/life balance. There are numerous funding opportunities for both local and international students. The work atmosphere is definitely more collaborative than competitive.