University of British Columbia

University of British Columbia Employee Reviews

Covid showed me that the university cares about its staff, and I feel that we are a huge part of the long term goals of the organization. I look forward to being there until I retire
This is honestly the worst place I have ever worked. Cons:Low pay, favoritism, bus throwing.Pros:Time off to apply for other jobsSave yourself time and DO NOT apply here.
very good university. Typical day of work is chill. Students are chill. Vancouver is chill. Even I am chill. There is nothing hard. Workplace culture rocks!
Great stepping stone for those looking to advance into management or law enforcement. Always look at coming to work with a positive attitude and things will be easier.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Shift work can have an effect
The work environment at UBC is fairly good, especially if you are a student in need of part time work that fits around your schedule- not the other way around. Working for the university as a student means your employer will do almost anything to make sure you have a schedule that works for you and I appreciated that very much.
Pros
Work-life balance, convenient location
Cons
No benefits
- Slow Paced - Inter team communication is not good - very okay management They need to establish proper matrix structure so that the teams can work better, rather than have a silo structure for each team.
Very conducive, inclusively accommodating work environment. It's understanding in terms of flexibility and student workloads, but very rigid in terms of productivity.
Pros
Very flexible and accomidating
Cons
Unreliable funding, projects could be abandoned halfway subject to funding. Makes you feel unaccomplished.
The union and bureaucracy is a double-edged sword. I was paid very well but my computer was constantly slow to the point that copy paste, double clicks, and even typing in text boxes would not work reliably. I reported it many times and was told there was nothing they could do to fix it. I felt like a chef with a dull knife. If you are looking for job security then this is the perfect job. If you are looking to be treated like a person then consider elsewhere.
Pros
Good pay, strong union
Cons
Poor equipment, overnight shifts, soul-eroding
Always busy days. Learned more about time management. Business culture. Pot lucks with staff most enjoyable part. Commute was hardest part. Good managment.
Good pay and benefits, as well as friendly staffs. One thing though is there's alot of management issues and scheduling so those i always keep on eye on it.
My 15 years of work experience, has very good management and co-workers. Very helpful staff. Training is very professional. I enjoyed working with UBC.
Good. Nice supervisor. Schedule is flexible people are friendly work environment is nice Develop good programming skills quiz response need to spend time on learning and improving yourself
A typical day at work always starts from going through tons of emails. The most important thing that I have learnt is to cooperate with you team members, to learn from each other, to help each other and to share views with people around you. The experience helps improve your management skills including time management, and project management.
Work 12 hours a day four days on four days off. You get decent adequate pay but still below a liveable standard. You get a lot of time off. You need to take an interest in your job, be a self-starter, take pride in your work. Look for a need and then fill it.
It's been wonderful 6 months till now at UBC. My workplace is full of fun and tons of things to learn about. I started as Database Developer, but have been learning about front-end( HTML, CSS, JQuery) and linux administration as well. I have been migrating data to UBC Cloud and it's fun to learn about the migration process. My team members are great and my manager is always supportive.
While it is hard to balance your work life and the rest of your life because you live where you work, when you have great co-workers the job is amazing! However, if your co-workers are less passionate about community-building or do not want to bond as much, the job can be draining without much benefit. But definitely would recommend being a Residence Advisor to all as it can provide you with a sense of belonging on such a large campus.
It was a good place to start for a part-time worker. The pay is minimum wage, but for a student just starting off, it is decent. the work place culture is very friendly and helpful. Most important think learned is how to work in a fast paced environment.
I studied my M.A.Sc. degree at the University of British Columbia. It is a fun place to be, and there are lots of opportunities for you to explore. However, it could be better one day.
Need more communications with managements often for better performance at work Only few people are working with 50-60 patients Not enough people but they don’t give more hours to work
-Good Management -Great Culture, positive place to work -Great work life balance -great learning environment - Excellent leadership with opportunity to grow
World rank in 30s One of the best schools in Canada Excellent and competent faculty both and undergrad and graduate level Best influence within Canada and USA after