University of British Columbia Employee Reviews

Excellent Work Environment
Library Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC22 March 2019
Working at UBC Okanagan was a positive, life changing experience for the better. Fabulous people and wonderful oportunities. Wonderful opportunities for growth and change.
Pros
Wonderful opportunities for growth and change.
Cons
All good experiences.
Ubc
IT Manager (Current Employee) –  Klinck Building17 March 2019
UBC is one of the largest employers in BC. As such it attracts the best and the worst of people. If you land in a spot where your managers and peers are the best, UBC is the best place to work. Geographically beautiful, benefits are astounding, and the culture is positive.

However, if you get railroaded into a team with toxic managers and disillusioned peers UBC can be an awful to work in. It's location means that either you have a long commute or you pay exorbitant cost of living prices to live near by. Then add to that the fact that the institution has "Section 9" of the collective agreement. This section gives the employer the right to terminate at any time, for any reason. I have seen this happen to far too many good people. As mentioned before, run afoul of a toxic manager, and you'll be run out on a rail with absolutely no recourse.

Overall I give UBC a high rating because of the culture & benefits. But they really need to deal with unfair management practices.
Pros
Very flexible in terms of hours, good pay, relaxed atmosphere.
Cons
A few toxic managers, Section 9
Review
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC11 March 2019
It was not a pleasant memory for me. My supervisor forced me to quit what I wanted to do. Thus, I quit my doctoral project and moved to masters'. My funding was stopped without any notice.
Pros
Cons
N/a
Productive and fun work place
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC9 March 2019
A good place to work and grow!!

If anyone with an education, wishes to be in a highly professional and secure work environment, I recommend them to apply for a position in their field at UBC.
Great benefits
Residence Life Manager (Current Employee) –  STUDENT HOUSING AND HOSPITALITY SERVICES25 February 2019
Love working here but hard to move up within the university. Jobs are sparse and far in between. Being at a small campus allows for great connections within the community.
Lost in a big organization
HR & Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC22 February 2019
Organization is too huge for you to be able to make any significant impact. Day to day work is mostly mundane with limited opportunity to innovate. Benefits are good and so are your colleagues and the campus is beautiful.
Pros
colleagues, low stress
Cons
bureaucracy, competing priorities, no PD funds
The benefits are great and the pension is good...and thats about it..
Security Department (Current Employee) –  Point Grey21 February 2019
The department I work for is 24/7. The wage does not reflect what other major universities are paying across Canada let alone across North America. I've been there over 10 years and have recieved a $3 raise..
to reflect my part time job gave me a $6 an hour raise with retro pay and appoligised that the raise took so long (4 years) . The university is a great place to work of you dont mind paying over $100 a month for parking and dont care if you get a raise or cost of living increase being that BC is the most expensive province to live in throughout all of Canada.. oh and if you want to advance in your field UBC is also not the place for you.
Pros
Stable unionized employment
Cons
Pitiful wage increases..almost no cost of living increases and zero career advancement
poor leadership, lack of support
Associate Professor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC15 February 2019
The University was resting on its laurels from the past. failed to engage with community and support for faculty and staff minimal. many students had a sense of entitlement and lacked motivation. Poor behavior mirrored in egocentric faculty
Pros
beautiful campus
Cons
no encouragement or support
workplace
Clinical Research Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC7 February 2019
Amazing group of people with different backgrounds, in which learning never ends. A typical work day for me was setting up events and gathering information from the public in regards to learning more about clinical trials and research. Also provided information about our company to local stakeholders.
benefits
Good money for the work
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC28 January 2019
As a TA you can work part time 6 hours a week or full time 12 hours a week, experience will vary from course to course but most of the profs are really good to work with and make it easy for running labs/tutorials and the marking of assignments
Straight ahead secretarial work
Divisional Secretary, Management Science (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC19 January 2019
I liked working for UBC. The jobs are union so the pay/benefits are good.
Typically I would get into work and assess my first jobs and finish any that weren’t completed. Then I would continue to work in this fashion until the day’s end. Every day would be different, because I’d get interrupted many times a day by faculty who wanted me to do/edit/copy something else. I reported to the chairman of the department and had occasional meetings with him.
I learned more and more confidence in my abilities.
I was not responsible for managing anything other than my own workload.
The workplace culture was very professional and results-oriented. I was expected to fully keep on top of my workload.
The hardest part of the job was interacting with the chairman of the department, who was mercurial and had a bit of a temper.
The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting and interacting with the visiting professors.
Benefits
Cons
A bit of a commute.
Knowledge and learning.
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC28 November 2018
Research is the best form of work, as it can be done anytime and as much someone wants. Research starts difficult with reading papers but really interesting when the practical is done. Apart from that the professors are great to seek help to or ask any questions.
Supportive work place
Visiting Associate Professor (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC23 November 2018
As an adjunct/visiting I cannot answer regarding benefits etc..

Overall a good supportive environment, diverse, and research focused. Supportive faculty, collegial atmosphere.
Pros
recognition of contributions you bring
Cons
Commute- but not UBC issue
Excellent place to work
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC26 September 2018
Working at the UBC provides endless opportunity to be innovative in your work. The work-life balance can be easily achieved. Innovative and fun projects that keeps you engaged with new technology and advancements.
Pros
Exciting projects on real world applications
Cons
You need to be innovative and daring to try out new things
A tough job but a rewarding one
University Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC26 September 2018
I worked as a sessional lecturer. Very hard work for secretarial wages--disappointing after finishing my Ph.D., but I learned a lot about university life from the inside, and how a department should be run.
Pros
colourful colleagues and teaching experience
Cons
pitiful salar
Good experience
Research assistant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC22 September 2018
I worked there for only 4 months and then I started my PhD program there. As a research assistant, it is an perfect place to work. Professors are well-educated and very knoledable.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Old department
Productive, fun and friendly workplace
Research and Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC19 September 2018
My work duties typically involved lab supervision and marking. Improved my communication skills. Well managed. Well nice and friendly work environment.
Graduate Advisor/Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC14 September 2018
Nice place to work at, especially if you work in a team. The pay is good and people around you are good. Benefits are amazing too, the only thing that is a con is the Kelowna campus which is great but it is based in between no where.
Good employer
Program Assistant, Workplace Learning (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC14 September 2018
Great employer because of the benefits, but things get done slowly because of how many staff there are. Things have to pass through multiple hands to get done - not the most efficient
excellent work but low pay
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC30 August 2018
teaching is a calling and i love it. My student ratings are consistently very high and i am in a good place as a university educator.
The pay is just too low