University of British Columbia Employee Reviews

Room to improve
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC19 July 2018
This may vary greatly depending on the department or even your supervisor. I have a research role - this review certainly
The job is certainly very interesting and engaging with the opportunity to work with brilliant colleagues and students. In my particular case I have a good deal of freedom to define the problems I work on and to continue learning new things. On the flip side I get very limited amount of professional support. Career advancement opportunities are bleak. Physical space is really not great
Pros
decent freedom to pursue academic interests, talented collaborators
Cons
inadequate career advancement opportunities, low pay, bad physical working environment
Nice place to work
Admin Support (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC11 June 2018
Working at UBC Okanagan is most enjoyable. It is a very good place to work and the wages are reasonable. Hours of work are also very reasonable. Very beautiful campus and always growing and expanding.
Great job but managment not good
International Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC1 June 2018
Management was poor in some departments. Seemed like they had too much on their plates and didn't know how to delegate. Great environment to work in though! Very flexible with school schedule.
Good workplace but could of been managed better.
Teacher’s Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC24 May 2018
I taught vector graphics in a first year course.

I would start by arriving early to set up the lab, make sure the chairs where in the right spot and the the computers worked. I'd explain what that days lab work was and how to do it for the first ten to twenty minutes then assist students individually with their labs for the next forty minutes. I'd then set the room up and do it again for the next class.

On Wednesdays we (myself and the other TA) would meet with the professor to determine how the class is progressing and decide what the next lab session should comprise of.
Pros
I could grade assignments when desired aslong as they were completed befor the next lab.
Cons
Plans and criteria for labs would be changed without being informed.
Interactive and learning
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC23 May 2018
The professors at UBC are really nice and help students in the way they required. The mentors personally deal with students and keep an eye on the project timeline.
Learning
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  ubc15 May 2018
Lots of new things to learn and the team was very understanding and eager to help. The team would use extra time to train me and teach me the flow of the environment.
Enjoyable, easy going environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC14 May 2018
I loved working at UBCO as a research assistant. I learned a great deal on how to research, transcribe and self-discipline. I couldn't have asked for a better part time position to work at while I was still in school
Great environment and People
Desktop Analyst (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC10 May 2018
Although this position was for a 3-month contract, I very quickly felt like part of the family. The campus environment is a very desirable work location.
Beautiful campus filled with talented students
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC1 May 2018
It is difficult to write an effective review of my experiences as a PhD student at UBC as the most important aspects of a grad student's career varies depending on field of research and the supervisor. Make sure to thoroughly research research your lab and graduate adviser before accepting any offers!

Aside from that, UBC is a great place: beautiful campus, delightful staff and students, and a great work/life balance. There are numerous funding opportunities for both local and international students. The work atmosphere is definitely more collaborative than competitive.
Productive and great room for growth
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC10 April 2018
Very Flexible, depending on the department you work in. You are given the ability to juggle multiple projects and develop a wide array of skills. Great room for growth if you are more academic focused.
Room for growth
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC1 April 2018
Passionate, driven team. I was lucky to have a great manager who ensured her team was supported. The department emphasized innovative approaches, valuing progress based in research.
Difficult to advance, management not receptive
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC21 March 2018
People tend to stay forever in their roles (there are people that have been there 30-40 years, refusing to retire or move one) so it is very difficult to move up in the organization. Management is not receptive to feed back, very top-down, traditional management style. Benefits are good but pay is below average. Expensive parking which makes commute really long by transit (and not worth it), especially when low-income staff have to live very far since housing is too expensive. Workers are treated as a cog in the machine - there are tuition waivers, professional development fund, etc. yet management is not supportive of you wanting to move up and beyond your position (they want you to stay in your position forever).
Pros
Very easy work (don’t need to think much)
Cons
Rigid management, lack of support for professional growth, low pay
Work from home and very convenient
Note taker (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC14 March 2018
Freedom to take my class notes on my own style, as long as they are legible and available for other's use. I am not required to answer questions of clients reguarding material, but I must clarify any doubts that arise reguarding understanding the notes.
Rewarding job with great travel benefits
Undergraduate Academic Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC5 March 2018
Scouted locations and contacted community leaders to bring STEM education to rural areas. Designed and delivered STEM and conservation themes programs to grade-school students. Grew the scope of the outreach department.
Ótimo ambiente de trabalho.
Engenheiro (Former Employee) –  British Columbia1 March 2018
Um ótimo lugar para desenvolver projetos e trabalhos de manutenção.
Pros
Disponibilidade de equipamentos
Cons
nada contra
Great addition to my academic experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC26 February 2018
an absolute pleasure working as an academic copy and lay-out editor. hours varied based on the biannual publication date but were also predictable as a result. very grateful for this experience.
self guided
Patient Allocation Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Patient Allocation Coordinator22 February 2018
it is a interesting place to work as a Certified Dental Assistant it is a unique place to be in a university setting in comparison to a private dental practice.
Pros
autonomy
Cons
consequences of error
productive and fun workplace
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC12 February 2018
I learned a lot about teamwork and working in a fast pace under pressure. I enjoyed this job a lot. The management is really good. You will meet people with different ethnicity that makes the workplace challenging but also fun because you get to meet and work with people with different culture as you. The hardest part of the job is when we get so busy and clean so much rooms. The most enjoyable part of the job is when you still get to have fun while working.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Hard when busy
Fun workplace
Clinical Instructor (Current Employee) –  Okanagan, BC5 February 2018
Nursing teaching support staff are excellent!
Great management and support for teachers.
Clear guideline and policy for teaching.
Great team to work with.
Pros
fun work place
Cons
low pay
Research Assistant, Safety and Laboratory Manager (Former Employee) –  Corrosion lab31 January 2018
The University of British Columbia (Point grey campus) is a great place to work, either as an instructor, Post-Doctoral research fellow, or research assistant.