University of Alberta Employee Reviews

very good experience
Postdoctoral Fellow (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 January 2018
The university was very friendly towards postdoc fellows. The atmosphere was very good for innovation. The professor gave me independence to come up with new ideas and was very supportive during the development of those ideas.
Enjoyable
Tour Guide Co-Ordinator (Former Employee) –  Alberta29 December 2017
I liked working at the gardens but really confirm your calendar for the summer before you arrive. You will be held to the schedule. There was a good community here though.
Pros
Outside, work with people.
Cons
temporary.
Really nice work place
Proctor (Current Employee) –  Camrose, AB15 December 2017
Just work when there are exams. Nice people you work with. Work is not very hard. Have to sit for a long time sometimes. Every day is different. Very nice
Great employer
Project Services Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 December 2017
The U of A is a great place to work. The benefits are excellent. The pay is not bad but could use some improvement based on the cost of living. I would recommend others to work for them.
Good place to work, less pay, flexible timing
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 December 2017
Good work-life balance. Set targets and defined projects. Great place to learn. Micromanagement by group leaders can cause unnecessary stress.Overall, a great place.
Pros
group discussions
Cons
micromanagement
University atmosphere
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 November 2017
Working for the University of Alberta allows you to be a part in the esteemed education our students receive. While working for the UofA, you are entitled to great benefits.
Pros
benefits, free courses
Very productive work environment and good interaction with physician and colleagues along with my supervisor
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 November 2017
I am working in an environment with 20+ colleagues. My day consists of answering phone, doing incoming and outgoing mail, faxing from computer, good knowledge of eClinician and Healthquest, exquisite management and physician, all of my colleagues willing to lend a hand when work "piles up" and am knowledgeable of other colleagues positions, scanning into EMR. My job is extremely busy and I thrived on this and had to be exceptionally organized. My most enjoyable part of my job is the medical dictatyping.
Pros
Good health benefits; celebrating birthdays; out for lunch occasionally
Cons
Stressful
Research Intern
Technology Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 November 2017
I had a good internship at UofA. I learned a lot and got great guidance from my adviser. edmonton is a beautiful city in the Summers. Definitely recommended.
Locksmith Apprenticeship[
Apprentice Locksmith (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 October 2017
I spent nine months working with an amazing staff. Anyone who has worked for the University of Alberta knows all of the office staff in GSB is very friendly and easy to work with.
Pros
Amazing Staff
great environment
Programmer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 October 2017
Working at the U of A was a awesome experience. help was right around the corner if needed it, everybody worked together to make a great final project.
Great place for study and research
Teaching and Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 September 2017
Great and nice professors;
Friendly students;
Rich resources for study and research;
Consistent workshops for the developments of staffs in the groups;
Great employer
Medical Secretary (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 September 2017
Excellent pay. Benefits are very good and include a health spending and personal spending account. Vacation is earned at a fairly standard rate with an increase in amount depending on length of employment
Great workplace
System Administrator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 September 2017
I enjoy working for the U of A. It's a great place to work with the typical public sector overhead (meetings, etc.). Overall, I can only recommend people working here.
Excellent company to work for
Head Chef (Former Employee) –  Dixonville, AB5 September 2017
Great place to work enjoyed the clients and location. Seasonal work though and only opens if there is enough student enrolment. Was sad they didn't have enough students this past year.
Pros
Great wages great atmosphere
Cons
seasonal work
One of best universitities
PhD Researcher (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 September 2017
Management and Salary structures for a graduate students are excellent but collaboration between professors need an improvement. The working environment greatly depends on your supervisor, and my supervisor was great in this sense who had provided me a personal space and timely guidance.
Research Assistant
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 August 2017
I learned a lot in my time as a research student. I aided in research but was also given the opportunity to work on a side project to do as an independent study. It was a great learning experience.
Delivery Driver
Driver in Distributions Department (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 August 2017
I was a delivery driver for U of A. Very busy, high paced job. Good hours, great benefits. Got much more familiar with that area of the city since I was delivering to a number of areas.
satisfactory overall
Medical Office Administrator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 August 2017
Long work hours and constantly increasing job description. These both make it difficult to take advantage of additional training courses available during regular office hours. Fairly good support system from peers, but not from management. Good pay and benefits.
Pros
good pay and benefits
Cons
long hours and continuously growing job description
Good Place
Student Research Engineer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 August 2017
It is a good place to work. The pay is average. They do not work you to the bone. You can get help if you need it. You get a pat on the back if you do a good job.
Energy System Modelling and Analysis (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 July 2017
It is good overall to work at the University of Alberta. Starting my work at 9am and call it a day at 6pm. Nice workplace under great supervision. I leart a lot in this University.