University of Alberta logo

University of Alberta Employee Reviews

4.3
Work-life balance

Good in General

Good in General. The positive atmosphere in the university. Friendly relationship. Fact-track job and as result kind of stressful. However, many learning opportunities are there.

Pros

Good in General

Cons

No negative

Fun, productive, involve all

I have enjoyed teaching for the U OF A. This year was much more collaborative and I felt more support in having co worker contact at my clinical site. There was a better wage in previous years, but this year they scaled back the roles so you got 0.5 FTE. Though with meetings and grading, you worked almost as much... covid definitely put a damper on teaching style as zoom took over.

Pros

Free luncheons, parties.

Cons

Hi turn over between clinical groups.

Toxic environment

Used to be a good employer. Now they want you to work more with less people and less pay. Would not recommend working here as a career. Maybe as entry level for a few years and then leave.

Good benefits and an opportunity to learn.

The job was based on contract funding and ended with the end date of the grant. It was heavy on the administrative support side but allowed me to learn a lot of skills and expand my network. The hardest part was learning how to coordinate exam practice sessions.

Pros

Great co-workers, good benefits

Cons

Some hours outside weekdays, very routine and unexciting for most workdays.

The employee compensation package (wage + benefits) is one thing I loved. The people are also very knowledgable and it is an organization with great growth opportunities. The workload is manageable, the people are amazing.

Pros

Work life Balance

Excellent training

I enjoyed my employment experience at the U of A. I worked in Pediatric Emergency, I love children very much! The couple different groups of ladies I got to work under and learn from were excellent, such nice smart people, with the patients and guidance you'd always hope for in a Practicum or new job experience! I would take a job in the same area again, with the hope of same experiences and people.

Pros

Work environment

Cons

Was a Practicum for school such a short time of work experience.

This place is an amazing place to work

I never thought that work for an education institution would be so great. At my time with the U of A, I have learned and grew my experience. My leadership team has given me the tools and support to enhance my skills. The culture is super inclusive so I know everyone is looked at as equal. This is a place to stay for the long haul.

Pros

7 hour work days, Christmas Shutdown, amazing benefits

Cons

Vacation days need to be accrued before they can be taken

Relaxed workplace

A good place to work, the work was clear and the expectations were fair. There was a lot of employee appreciation events and it was easy to get time off.

Pros

Staff events (i.e. breakfasts)

Cons

Parking can be painful

Mostly secure workplace with some upward mobility - but toxic work culture

The perks (free lunches and remission of tuition) and benefits were excellent, plus the union helped keep jobs secure and salaries well-compensated. The lunch hours were 1 hour long, and you still got paid for 30 minutes. Plus, work-life balance, personal development, and schedule flexibility (some departments even gave Flex time!) were very valued. But, huge discrepancies with workplace culture within certain faculties and departments. Also, 'lifers' became complacent and worked like unionized teamsters. So, many work departments were more toxic than others. And work recognition or encouragement for career development was rare.

Pros

Free lunches and classes, great benefits with union, decent job security

Cons

Toxic work culture prevalent, challenging to deal with Academic personalities and egos at times

Good pay and good people - poor management

Mostly you can set your hours within reason during the day and your schedule. There is not a lot of direction or onboarding given to many positions and the IT system can take a bit to get set up. The work is valuable and you do feel part of something

Pros

Pay, Benefits, Location

Cons

Management, Onboarding

Jobs at University of Alberta

See more jobs

No advancement, constant fear of losing job

Terrible management. Top heavy. Can't get anything done. Supervisor constantly holding job security over your head. Dead weight gets rewarded for not causing waves while hard workers are constantly punished.

productive and supportive workplace

I liked our boss's attitude with students and employees. Our workplace was super friendly and supportive in all aspects of life and work. I learned to work independently and in group.

You are calling residentials

We are doing surveys over the phone, people are always busy so sometimes they get mad if they reach the phone only to find out its just us calling to do a survey. I dont recommend it because they are already close.

Pros

Sitting

Cons

Short hours

Fun Workplace

Very welcoming, training provided, relaxed but professional atmosphere. and great co workers. Loved working in health and fitness, and learned a lot from my management.

Pros

Great People

Cons

Gets Busy at times

Great place to work when they get funded

It was a great place to work, but for years we had the constant threat of being laid off due to budget cuts. This really wears down people and what was once a great environment that while busy still allowed people to have fun, turned into a much more depressing atmosphere. I'm sure that once this current round of massive cuts and they get proper funding once again it will turn into a nicer place to be again. You will notice that there is a distinct difference between support staff and the academics. Support staff are always the ones that are dispensable and some of the academics certainly treat you that way.

ocated in Edmonton, Alberta, the university offers the best of city lifestyle and a beautiful outdoor environment, with parks and a river valley surrounding the North Campus. Edmonton is a major hub for Alberta's thriving industries and offers excellent job opportunities for students and graduates. The main campus is located centrally, with a subway station granting easy access to attractions throughout the city.

Productive, goal-oriented environment

I worked 1 year as contractor for the specific IT project. Members from other teams are very collaborative . Team building events were great. Very goal oriented environment.

nice instructor

I was a teaching assistant in the university of Alberta. the working load is ok, the payment is high The other TAs are nice to communicate. Loving to work at this family

Fun place to work

I only worked here part-time but the workplace was fostered on the basis of community culture. It felt more like a family than a workplace. Would strongly suggest that any student who is looking for a bit of part time work apply here.

I enjoyed the work that I did.

I learnt a lot from being a T.A., but I would not do it again. It took a lot of time that I feel I should have spent on my own studying. I think I could have planned that out a lot better.

Great place for research

Typical academic setting. Everything depends on which professor you are working under. The wages depends on skills- if you are a grad student , it is minimum wage.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Alberta. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.3