University of Alberta Employee Reviews

Benefits and Pension
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 October 2018
Stable, consistent and good employer. Leadership could use some refreshing. Lots of people come here to plug in their years towards retirement. If sitting at a cubicle is for you, this is the place to be.
Productive and fun workplace
Front Desk Attendant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 October 2018
Great place to work at! Training is phenomenal and prepares you for actual work. Senior employees are supportive of further training and encourages a safe workplace.
great place for knowledge
Nurse RN, BN (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 October 2018
great place to gain knowledge, not a great place for co-workers. management was inappropriate
glad to have gained the knowledge and be able to use it in other area of my nursing.
Pros
Great knowledge
Cons
management, too far from home
A good summer job
Plumber's Helper (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 October 2018
I was able to substantially build my plumbing skills while studying at the U of A, and count my time here as being a great life experience. The journeyman were amazing.
Formal work space with coffee machine.
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Computing Science1 October 2018
All the staff I met are nice there. The hours are mostly flexible. It's very busy at the start of each academic year. But the working pace is relaxed after the start of each academic year.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
It's very busy at the start of each academic year
work as a group like a big family
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 October 2018
I not only developed my research experience, but also explore my capacity of teamwork, which helps me become a socially accepted member in future career life.
Great stay
Visiting Student (Former Employee) –  Alberta27 September 2018
Working at the UofA was fantastic. If needed, also researchers from other groups would help out at BioSci. Not to forget the faculty club and the hub :-) Really nice place to do science.
Pros
facilities
Cons
inone
great people to work with
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 September 2018
Eight hours a day, five days a week. The culture is great. As it is a result base environment, nobody questions you about the time you spend in the office. The only thing you need to be aware of is to meet the deadlines.
A high-quality education institution
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 September 2018
During my PhD studies, I had an opportunity to teach Russian and French languages to the University of Alberta undergraduate and graduate students. I also conducted some guest lectures on Russian film. I understood that teaching is my vocation, as I enjoyed every single class I taught. In 2016, I was awarded as the best graduate student teacher, and since then my dream is to continue teaching at post-secondary level, to collaborate with university colleagues, and develop competitive research projects. In addition to my teaching and research activities, I had other responsibilities such as active participation in associations, clubs, and committees, writing proposals for grant applications, and interacting with external partners on multi-disciplinary projects.
Not very professional
CLINICAL ASSISTANT PROFESSOR (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 September 2018
Fun workin with students. Lots of training opportunities are available. Management needs to be consistent with their promises. Work culture is more like individual sometimes in collaboration
Stimulating environment
RESEARCH ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 September 2018
Working for the University of Alberta was great as it provided me with many experience that are related to my field. Being a research assistant has helped me further my skills while also developing new ones that will someday be useful to my career. This job has provided me the networking I need in order to further my academic career.
Enjoyable place to volunteer and learn
Volunteer LIT (Leader in Training) (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 September 2018
University of Alberta provides young volunteers (leaders in training) with many opportunities to learn what it means to be a leader and a mentor to children. They have great staff that are always willing to help young volunteers and guide them through the learning process of becoming a camp leader to young children.
Pros
Great mentorship
Cons
no cons
A very nice environment to work
Postdoctoral Fellow (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 September 2018
A nice place to live and work. The University offers cutting edge research equipment, facilities and resources to work. A diverse pools of technical, professional and scientific people to network with.
Hr
Human Resources Consultant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 September 2018
The university atmosphere is an exciting place to work. The diversity of clients and the complexity of those clients makes the day go by quickly .... there is no shortage of excitement!
Supportive Environment
Graduate Student, MSc Neuroscience (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 September 2018
Friendly staff and programs and services are offered to encourage a supportive and non-judgmental environment. There are opportunities for growth and professional development.
good job if you get the right manager
Administration Assistant/Medical transcription (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 August 2018
As above. Great job and benefits if you get the right manager or supervisor who does not micro manage you. I was fortunate to have a truly wonderful manager who supports her whole team and who always encourages us to reach our full potential.
Pros
paid learning opportunities
Cons
Can be hard to get ahead unless you know someone
Flexible hours and casual work environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 August 2018
I was just hired as a research assistant so I cannot speak for the whole university. However, I found the employer to be amicable towards a work-life balance, and we put in the hours necessary to get projects done.
Best place to work
Research Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 August 2018
Great place to work and great people to work for. Fast paced and a good learning curve. Loved all the travelling involved. Overall, I had a wonderful experience and I would recommend this job to anyone.
Pros
Good pay
Very unique University culture
Help Desk Administrator (Current Employee) –  Camrose, AB16 August 2018
After working in the private industry for over 30 years, working here was a real culture shock.
There are some great people here but it is tough to break in relationally as most have been here for over 20 years!
The manager is excellent though and is very good to work for.
Pros
Manager and free Christmas vacation!
Cons
Culture is tough to get used to.
A good university.
Molecular Biology Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 August 2018
The university is a good one in Canada ranking top 10. The medical school of the University used to rank number one in Canada, may be due to the booming of the economy in the province of Albert.