University of Alberta Employee Reviews

Excellent place to work
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 December 2018
The University provides excellent benefits along with a pension which is important to me. Also it provides great working hours that you can choose - I work 7:00 - 3:00.

The people are great and further education is offered as well.
Very good.
Contractor Safety & Fire Prevention Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 December 2018
This is a great place to work. People and pay was very good as well as benefits. I would work for the University of Alberta in the future should the chance come up.
Pros
Good work enviroment
Cons
Staff
Good compensation but that's about it
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 October 2018
I have been at the U of A many years.. I do enjoy the pay, benefits and opportunities afforded to us. Typical government environment with too much micromanaging.

Workplace culture is not good, bad morale everywhere as too much change going on (I work in healthcare area). We are all experiencing change fatigue as healthcare is constantly changing. I have found my coworkers and myself included have become very apathetic towards our work.
good job if you get the right manager
Administration Assistant/Medical transcription (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 August 2018
As above. Great job and benefits if you get the right manager or supervisor who does not micro manage you. I was fortunate to have a truly wonderful manager who supports her whole team and who always encourages us to reach our full potential.
Pros
paid learning opportunities
Cons
Can be hard to get ahead unless you know someone
meant salary.
learning (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 August 2018
meant salary. Hard work.
Big challenge on your brain storm.
No benefit. Hard to have a full time
except you have a high degree and
also has ability to publish papers.
Pros
Free than off campus
Cons
No money
Great Place to work at
System Administrator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 January 2019
Good Work Life Balance. Variety of technologies used. Nice Culture and work environment. Supportive Management. Great place to learn and share ideas
Great Place to Work
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB31 May 2018
Good Work/Life balance. Good work environment that encourages learning and growth. Benefits Package is the cherry. The slowness of some of the processes may require some patience sometimes but that's about the only downside of working here.
Great place to work but it depends on each department
Editor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 June 2018
It is a good place, great benefits and pay. The problem is that management style is different on each faculty, so it could be a hit-and-miss for an amazing team or a really poor leader.
Pros
Health benefits, winter closure time, union
Cons
Some managers, workload, budget cuts
Great Culture
Project Adjudicator KDCS (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 April 2018
Excellent place to work, great culture, great opportunities, safe and friendly environment, safe place work, continuing education available for their employees.
Pros
safe workplace, continuing eduactions opportunities
Cons
benefits just if youa re full time
Great place to work with academic background
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 April 2018
Working at the University of Alberta is a great way to meet and connect with some professors and other people who are interested in academia. The compensation is the only sub-par part of working here, as more money can be made elsewhere while having a less stressful job.
fun workplace
Building Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 March 2018
cleaning, collecting garbage, follow hospitality standard vacuum, cleaning student rooms hallways elevator, fun working place... fair salary, no benefits as a casual employee
Fun place to work as studen
Graduate Student Researcher (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 February 2019
No "management" per se, simply just students with industry-funded research interests allowed to pursue whichever leads suited their interests. Typically short days of actual work depending on the project, can be waiting a while for samples to but cut and processed before they can be analyzed. lots of writing reports and doing individual and group presentations
Pros
lots of freedom of choice
Cons
none to low subsidization for work
Great potential working with donors
ASSISTANT DEAN, ADVANCEMENT (Current Employee) –  Edmonton Alberta Canada9 January 2019
With 40,000 current students, the UofA offers an ever expanding portfolio opportunity. Embarking on a $1.5 billion capital campaign leaves much room for success. The culture of philanthropy is a bit lacking.
Not very professional
CLINICAL ASSISTANT PROFESSOR (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 September 2018
Fun workin with students. Lots of training opportunities are available. Management needs to be consistent with their promises. Work culture is more like individual sometimes in collaboration
They abuse instructors
LECTURER (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 November 2018
The UofA has lost focus. It no longer cares about undergraduates (hasn't for a long time), and abuses its instructors.

There is no effective management or senior management oversight in the event of administrative wrongdoing.
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 January 2019
Overall its a good learning place with numerous opportunities to grow as individual and professional. Environment is healthy and staff is very good. It is always supporting.
great place for knowledge
Nurse RN, BN (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 October 2018
great place to gain knowledge, not a great place for co-workers. management was inappropriate
glad to have gained the knowledge and be able to use it in other area of my nursing.
Pros
Great knowledge
Cons
management, too far from home
work as a group like a big family
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 October 2018
I not only developed my research experience, but also explore my capacity of teamwork, which helps me become a socially accepted member in future career life.
Flexible hours and casual work environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 August 2018
I was just hired as a research assistant so I cannot speak for the whole university. However, I found the employer to be amicable towards a work-life balance, and we put in the hours necessary to get projects done.
Stimulating environment
RESEARCH ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 September 2018
Working for the University of Alberta was great as it provided me with many experience that are related to my field. Being a research assistant has helped me further my skills while also developing new ones that will someday be useful to my career. This job has provided me the networking I need in order to further my academic career.