University of Alberta

University of Alberta Employee Reviews

Canada499 reviews
Great place for research
Typical academic setting.
Everything depends on which professor you are working under.

The wages depends on skills- if you are a grad student , it is minimum wage.
Fulfilling work but no room to advance
Overall I was satisfied working at the U of A. I met academics doing impactful work that I could believe in. Worked with many supportive colleagues who are now great friends. Benefits and pay are great.

The problem I experienced is decentralization in the university causes every area I worked in to be a new place to navigate. In terms of supporting employees, nothing is consistent. I experienced toxic workplaces and micro management where managers did not align with the university's plan for employees and nothing was being done. This could be corrected by central HR. My managers did not give me performance reviews or discuss my career growth. Often the next step positions are targeted for a specific person and so unless you are that person there is no room to grow.
Lecturer U of A
I worked in a one-off remediation department in the mid 1980s. We were wound up after a number of years because we reached the objective of having a suitable standard of English proficiency in first year.
Valuable research experience
It was a highly exciting summer. I would 100% recommend undergraduate research to anyone on the fence. My experience was a lot better due to my supervisor as well.
Wonderful place to learn
Loved doing my undergrad at the U of A, however it takes up all of your time, and profs can expect a great deal if you are in their lab. Many lecturers know their subject well, some teach better than others. Over all what you would expect from studying an academic degree.
Very good
I learned so much in this job. They provided me the skills to succeed in customer service and problem-solving. It was an experience that made me become a better team worker
Supportive a d caring staff but silent nevertheless
Saved my life when l had noone to turn to . Able to ise libraries anf food vourts freely. Able to use classrooms and bathrooms for research and hygiene. Enjoyed the use of tje gym as well.
Incubator of innovative research ideas
I work in transportation engineering research. The university professors are working on some innovative research ideas in transportation engineering. Graduate students are gaining experience by working in these research projects.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at University of Alberta?
Fun, upbeat team during varsity events
Working as a supervisor for the athletic event staff team is a dream job. You choose your own hours, and the team you work with is always amazing. Being in school, this is the best job someone can ask for
Good place to work.
Good place to work. Contributing to higher education and the pursuit of clinical research can be rewarding activities for employees at the university of Alberta.
Good working environment
Experiencing in various aspects of doing service company including service quality, food production preparation, inventory and sales. Giving feedback to the supervisor in daily activities and assists in supervising all aspects in operation in order to ensure that the working environment standards around people, product, cleanliness and an exceptional guest experience are fulfilled.
Professors, Researchers, Students - GENIUS
There are many GENIUS in university of Alberta.
They have incredible ideas to improve, no change the world.

They work hard to archive his purpose.

JUST DO IT. NEVER GIVE UP.

PLEASE FORGOT THE WORD "impossible".
Relaxed and Nice Work Environment
As a Teaching Assistant, the work environment was very relaxed and everyone is very nice. The hours are rather sparse because hours are correlated to class time.
Pros
Relaxed and nice work environment
Cons
Not many hours
Good team work
Working in residence has enabled me to work with a broad community. Being a Resident Assistant has helped me with time management, organization, communication and crisis management.
Pros
good team, supportive supervisors
Cons
flexible
all good
My experience with the University of Alberta was excellent. Management was considerate and encouraging; my peers were pleasant to work with and respected the workplace and me. very good working environment. I recommend anyone looking for job in Edmonton to work at the University of Alberta.
Bullying and Intimidation
I loved my position and the duties of my role. The job itself was great but the environment was something I’ve never experienced with any of my previous employers. I would have loved to retire with the UofA but unfortunately the environment not what I was expecting.
The coworkers in my department constantly spoke about how ‘dumb’ and ‘useless’ their colleagues were. I spoke to HR multiple times and gave my manager my concerns but this group seemed to be exempt from the code of conduct expectations.

Daily, I couldn’t believe what I was hearing and it made me very uncomfortable. The final straw for me - Someone they used to work with committed suicide and the comment was made that the person ‘milked the system’. This made me sick. This person had children and clearly needed help- Multiple people in this office voluntarily told me this story and it made me sick that they could treat someone like that. If that were a family member of mine, I would absolutely be upset.
Great!
Great place to work with very good salaries and benefits. The languages department is very well run and they truly make sure things are done well and all deadlines are met.
Great place to gain a broad skill set
The people are great when it comes to a positive work environment and learning atmosphere. It's basically a city of its own within Edmonton so the range of opportunities to work with a wide variety of equipment and tools is great!
Productive and fun workplace
The most enjoyable part of the job is connecting with the residents and creating a safe and open space for everyone. I have learned better leadership skills and time management
A good place to work
Working here is great opportuity to learn more new things. Interacting with students are fun and learning. But found that the lab has lack of resources.
Interesting and fun workplace
I work as a student every Wednesday night coordinating recreational soccer activities. It is always a nice time for me because I love the game of soccer. I get to work the job for my pay, play the game I love, and stay healthy.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Alberta. Our community is ready to answer.
4.3