University of Alberta

University of Alberta: 586 Employee Reviews

Canada586 reviews

universityuofaedmontonstudentacademicprofessorlabcampus

Good Place to work

UofA is huge so it depends on which department you work with but overall the work culture is great. Work is flexible with great benefits and a good work-life balance

Pros

Flexible

Cons

manager dependent

Wasting Time

Lots of workand stress for low salaryI do not recommend studying a graduate program at this university because you may have trouble completing the program and graduating.

Insights into University of Alberta

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Time and location flexibility

low pay

1. They pay very low salary for RA2. Overtime work is quite common3. No remote work option4. Vacation policy is very bad.5. Parking is very expensive.

Good job/school balance

I worked in a resident building and enjoyed the people around me. They allow you to track your own hours which was nice. I wish the pay was better for the type of work we did.

Productive and safe workplace

They are supportive especially for new workers.Helping them to understand the job.what I have learned is to be supportive and being patient. But am trying if can get another job So that I can cover my responsibility. Thanks

A good place to work

The coworkers here are friendly and respectful. Payment is fair and the working environment is satisfactory. As what it is like of a University in Canada.

Good

Good place to study and work. Edmonton is a nice city to live. I had a great time pursuing Ph.D. while working as research and teaching assistant. Pay is OK.

Great work atmosphere

Super helpful in performing needed tasks to complete projects. All amenities available to research and develop subject matter. High level understanding of creative problem solving.

Pros

Cafeteria

Best place to work

U of a is one of the best places to work. Set schedule hours and good benefits. Friendly and happy atmosphere.

Awesome unconventional

Can't reveal much about this position. Look it up and read for yourself!Great company great co-workers, always helping eachither out - even better job.

Pros

Great job

Cons

Wprk only available during testing times

Excellent pay and benefits - expectedly old school mentalities

(Worked as admin in both Fam Med and Pediatrics) Salary ranges and benefits are available online so it's easy to see that compensation is fair and NASA staff have awesome benefits/pension. The work in any administrative position here is predictable and fairly reasonable. Team leadership was almost nonexistent as hiring/promotions appear largely based on favouritism and office politics. The only individuals that were interested in, supportive of, or even willing to hear new ideas were peers who have also struggled with the brick wall that is leadership. Process is standard, established, inefficient, and unchanging.As an upside, every physician I provided direct support for was passionate, respectful, and supportive. In fact, many admins are only able to modify their own workflows/processes by keeping it between themselves and their physicians. It is also commonplace for tech/hardware to be funded by the physicians as department funding for workplace quality of life improvements is apparently 0.

Exciting place to work

Held several jobs over many years at the UofA. Good union for support staff, fair treatment, lots of support and training if you want to progress. Great culture of learning and personal development.

University of Alberta

the laboratory is not that big but as what it needs, offices are on the same floor as the laboratory (usually), people working at the lab are very nice and most of them are working their way toward ph.D

Pros

the building was new

Cons

minimum pay

More research experience than a job

The main focus of the job was the experience gained in the lab, instead of the pay. But, it was a good experience and definitely worth spending my summer.

An experience more than a job

I was lucky enough to be working with some incredibly talented and friendly people in the faculty of engineering. Payment is bare bones minimum wage, you're being paid more in knowledge and experience than cash

Difficult management but fair pay

My position was very metric focused rather than focused on actual success. There is a lot of red tape so things often move slow. Overall it did provide a very fair salary and work life balance.

Pros

Pay, vacation time

Cons

Metric focus

Great place to work with innovative research

U of A is one of the best places to work for research professionals in Alberta. There are lots of opportunities and the pay is fair. I would recommend the U of A

Nice place to work

Nice location, easy to reach by public transportation. Good benefit, medcal insurance, the working environment is friendly, polite. 7 hours a day in the research lab, good learning opportunities

Great university

Great university to learn and work as a RA or TA. There is a significant power imbalance between the students and supervisors. If you can build a good working relationship with your supervisor, you will have a very pleasant and productive research/work experience. Otherwise, you will run into problems every step of the way until you graduate.

Good work-life balance, Bad rate of compensation

Overall, good research facilities but very great PIs. Some are really hard to work with. The pay is terrible in the Chemical Engineering department. Postdocs are generally abused with huge workload and minimum pay.

Fun workplace with nice teammates

Great way to meet like-minded people and help out the community! Wish I had a chance to start earlier to be able to engage more with the other RAs and my building

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Alberta. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.7 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement