University of Alberta

University of Alberta Employee Reviews

I never thought that work for an education institution would be so great. At my time with the U of A, I have learned and grew my experience. My leadership team has given me the tools and support to enhance my skills. The culture is super inclusive so I know everyone is looked at as equal. This is a place to stay for the long haul.
Pros
7 hour work days, Christmas Shutdown, amazing benefits
Cons
Vacation days need to be accrued before they can be taken
A good place to work, the work was clear and the expectations were fair. There was a lot of employee appreciation events and it was easy to get time off.
Pros
Staff events (i.e. breakfasts)
Cons
Parking can be painful
The perks (free lunches and remission of tuition) and benefits were excellent, plus the union helped keep jobs secure and salaries well-compensated. The lunch hours were 1 hour long, and you still got paid for 30 minutes. Plus, work-life balance, personal development, and schedule flexibility (some departments even gave Flex time!) were very valued. But, huge discrepancies with workplace culture within certain faculties and departments. Also, 'lifers' became complacent and worked like unionized teamsters. So, many work departments were more toxic than others. And work recognition or encouragement for career development was rare.
Pros
Free lunches and classes, great benefits with union, decent job security
Cons
Toxic work culture prevalent, challenging to deal with Academic personalities and egos at times
Mostly you can set your hours within reason during the day and your schedule. There is not a lot of direction or onboarding given to many positions and the IT system can take a bit to get set up. The work is valuable and you do feel part of something
Pros
Pay, Benefits, Location
Cons
Management, Onboarding
Terrible management. Top heavy. Can't get anything done. Supervisor constantly holding job security over your head. Dead weight gets rewarded for not causing waves while hard workers are constantly punished.
I liked our boss's attitude with students and employees. Our workplace was super friendly and supportive in all aspects of life and work. I learned to work independently and in group.
We are doing surveys over the phone, people are always busy so sometimes they get mad if they reach the phone only to find out its just us calling to do a survey. I dont recommend it because they are already close.
Pros
Sitting
Cons
Short hours
Very welcoming, training provided, relaxed but professional atmosphere. and great co workers. Loved working in health and fitness, and learned a lot from my management.
Pros
Great People
Cons
Gets Busy at times
It was a great place to work, but for years we had the constant threat of being laid off due to budget cuts. This really wears down people and what was once a great environment that while busy still allowed people to have fun, turned into a much more depressing atmosphere. I'm sure that once this current round of massive cuts and they get proper funding once again it will turn into a nicer place to be again. You will notice that there is a distinct difference between support staff and the academics. Support staff are always the ones that are dispensable and some of the academics certainly treat you that way.
ocated in Edmonton, Alberta, the university offers the best of city lifestyle and a beautiful outdoor environment, with parks and a river valley surrounding the North Campus. Edmonton is a major hub for Alberta's thriving industries and offers excellent job opportunities for students and graduates. The main campus is located centrally, with a subway station granting easy access to attractions throughout the city.
I worked 1 year as contractor for the specific IT project. Members from other teams are very collaborative . Team building events were great. Very goal oriented environment.
I was a teaching assistant in the university of Alberta. the working load is ok, the payment is high The other TAs are nice to communicate. Loving to work at this family
I only worked here part-time but the workplace was fostered on the basis of community culture. It felt more like a family than a workplace. Would strongly suggest that any student who is looking for a bit of part time work apply here.
I learnt a lot from being a T.A., but I would not do it again. It took a lot of time that I feel I should have spent on my own studying. I think I could have planned that out a lot better.
Typical academic setting. Everything depends on which professor you are working under. The wages depends on skills- if you are a grad student , it is minimum wage.
Overall I was satisfied working at the U of A. I met academics doing impactful work that I could believe in. Worked with many supportive colleagues who are now great friends. Benefits and pay are great. The problem I experienced is decentralization in the university causes every area I worked in to be a new place to navigate. In terms of supporting employees, nothing is consistent. I experienced toxic workplaces and micro management where managers did not align with the university's plan for employees and nothing was being done. This could be corrected by central HR. My managers did not give me performance reviews or discuss my career growth. Often the next step positions are targeted for a specific person and so unless you are that person there is no room to grow.
I worked in a one-off remediation department in the mid 1980s. We were wound up after a number of years because we reached the objective of having a suitable standard of English proficiency in first year.
It was a highly exciting summer. I would 100% recommend undergraduate research to anyone on the fence. My experience was a lot better due to my supervisor as well.
Loved doing my undergrad at the U of A, however it takes up all of your time, and profs can expect a great deal if you are in their lab. Many lecturers know their subject well, some teach better than others. Over all what you would expect from studying an academic degree.
I learned so much in this job. They provided me the skills to succeed in customer service and problem-solving. It was an experience that made me become a better team worker
Saved my life when l had noone to turn to . Able to ise libraries anf food vourts freely. Able to use classrooms and bathrooms for research and hygiene. Enjoyed the use of tje gym as well.