University of Alberta Employee Reviews

Fun place to study
Home Maker (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 December 2018
Flexible hours. Pay is decent for amount learned. Books are expensive. Not a fan of teachers that just read from the book and offer very little field time, hands on projects, group interactions . \less large projects for students and more hands on experience or field trips should be available.
Pros
Time, location
Cons
Teachers classes oft are a review of the book again every class
Very good.
Contractor Safety & Fire Prevention Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 December 2018
This is a great place to work. People and pay was very good as well as benefits. I would work for the University of Alberta in the future should the chance come up.
Pros
Good work enviroment
Cons
Staff
great university
PHD CANDIDATE (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 December 2018
UofA is a great univeristy. All the staff are very positive and supportive. Learn a lot and make many friends. Very great experience and hopefully can work there again.
Excellent place to work
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 December 2018
The University provides excellent benefits along with a pension which is important to me. Also it provides great working hours that you can choose - I work 7:00 - 3:00.

The people are great and further education is offered as well.
staff retention
Clinical Instructor - Full-time Sessional (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 November 2018
No staff retention. No continuing education process
Extremely low staff morale.
No support support their instructors.
Trying to support students who should not be in health care.
Pros
Ablity to have community and hospital experience
Cons
No support for the teaching staff
A vibrant and supportive learning environment for researching and studies.
Teaching and Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 November 2018
The University of Alberta (also known as U of A and UAlberta) is a public research university located in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. It was founded in 1908 by Alexander Cameron Rutherford, the first premier of Alberta, and Henry Marshall Tory, its first president.

The university has been recognized by the Academic Ranking of World Universities, the QS World University Rankings and the Times Higher Education World University Rankings as one of the top five universities in Canada and one of the top 100 universities worldwide. According to the 2014 QS World University Rankings, the top Faculty Area at the University of Alberta is Arts and Humanities (ranked 89th in the world), and the top-ranked Subject is English Language and Literature (22nd in the world).

UAlberta is not merely a place to study or where finding the perfect job is the singular focus of post-secondary institutional learning.

UAlberta is a pioneering and progressive environment where faculty, students, and staff come together to embrace the values of learning, share knowledge, and find solutions for our ever-changing complex world.

(https://www.ualberta.ca/)
They abuse instructors
LECTURER (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 November 2018
The UofA has lost focus. It no longer cares about undergraduates (hasn't for a long time), and abuses its instructors.

There is no effective management or senior management oversight in the event of administrative wrongdoing.
Good Salary
Peace Officer - Protective Services (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 November 2018
There is no typical day, every day is different with its own challenges. The job was awesome, lots to learn, patrol kept you moving and always something happening on campus.
Great
Project: Drone-Based On-Demand Link Deployment (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 October 2018
Highest standards. Well educated, experienced and friendly staff, Modern technical equipment and software. Good working environment. In general, I had a great experience at this university.
Fulfilling work but occasionally frustrating.
Student representative (Current Employee) –  Alberta28 October 2018
It is very fulfilling helping students learn and having real impact but it is sometimes frustrating to deal with students who do not want to learn but just want their homework done.
Good compensation but that's about it
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 October 2018
I have been at the U of A many years.. I do enjoy the pay, benefits and opportunities afforded to us. Typical government environment with too much micromanaging.

Workplace culture is not good, bad morale everywhere as too much change going on (I work in healthcare area). We are all experiencing change fatigue as healthcare is constantly changing. I have found my coworkers and myself included have become very apathetic towards our work.
Benefits and Pension
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 October 2018
Stable, consistent and good employer. Leadership could use some refreshing. Lots of people come here to plug in their years towards retirement. If sitting at a cubicle is for you, this is the place to be.
nice palce to learn
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 October 2018
It was my PhD that I added as experience since it is project oriented. I worked at UofA and also from home. My supervisor was flexible. Facilities were good.
Productive and fun workplace
Front Desk Attendant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 October 2018
Great place to work at! Training is phenomenal and prepares you for actual work. Senior employees are supportive of further training and encourages a safe workplace.
great place for knowledge
Nurse RN, BN (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 October 2018
great place to gain knowledge, not a great place for co-workers. management was inappropriate
glad to have gained the knowledge and be able to use it in other area of my nursing.
Pros
Great knowledge
Cons
management, too far from home
A good summer job
Plumber's Helper (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 October 2018
I was able to substantially build my plumbing skills while studying at the U of A, and count my time here as being a great life experience. The journeyman were amazing.
Formal work space with coffee machine.
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Computing Science1 October 2018
All the staff I met are nice there. The hours are mostly flexible. It's very busy at the start of each academic year. But the working pace is relaxed after the start of each academic year.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
It's very busy at the start of each academic year
work as a group like a big family
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 October 2018
I not only developed my research experience, but also explore my capacity of teamwork, which helps me become a socially accepted member in future career life.
Great stay
Visiting Student (Former Employee) –  Alberta27 September 2018
Working at the UofA was fantastic. If needed, also researchers from other groups would help out at BioSci. Not to forget the faculty club and the hub :-) Really nice place to do science.
Pros
facilities
Cons
inone
great people to work with
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 September 2018
Eight hours a day, five days a week. The culture is great. As it is a result base environment, nobody questions you about the time you spend in the office. The only thing you need to be aware of is to meet the deadlines.