Work wellbeing score is 78 out of 100

University of Alberta Employee Reviews

Canada664 reviews

universityuofaedmontonstudentacademicprofessorlabcampus

Good place for undergraduate part-time

I have been a short-term research assistant there. Great experience and nice team. Received pay quickly and accurately. Would recommend. Also looks good on cv

Great research and learning opportunities

Great place to work. An excellent place to learn and grow. Helpful staff and coworkers. Good benefits, good work/life balance and a good pension plan. The work could be interesting and rewarding. Unfortunately, in research, the salary is low as well as job security.

Pros

Flexible hours; good work/life balance; great benefits; good learning opportunities.

Cons

low salary; no advancement.

good colaborative team

very good team. helpful and very talented people. overall very good environment. very peacfull and challenging. learned alot during my days their. good management

Pros

learnt alot

Cons

pay

Nice Academic Environment poor salary

I enjoyed my work as a Research Assistant. The salary is not good, but love to work with other graduate students and professors. Lots of work to do, but not very intense.

Just started and so far enjoy the work and culture. Great hours and good pay. Lots of very cool things to see through all the different buildings. Good employee perks

Insights into University of Alberta

What people like
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Ability to learn new things

Supportive learning environment

The university provides a high-quality education with a diverse and inclusive atmosphere. Renowned faculty members are dedicated to both teaching and research.

Productive and happy place.

What is the best part of working at the company?Involved in all kinds of job-related duties and can become an expertise in many skills.What is the most stressful part about working at the company?No stress. Enjoyable work. Adaptive and flexible environment.What is the work environment and culture like at the company?Very friendly and respective environment is seen always.What is a typical day like for you at the company?Busy on average but can find sufficient time for lunch and coffee break.

Good environment

The university of Alberta is a good place to work. The environment is peace and the people you meet are nice. The work time is flexible and can work in the hybrid way.

Working duty

A life and work balance way in research and work. Could meet excellent people all over the world. A recognizable university all over the world, excellent people.

Decent Workplace, wage and benefits stink.

Tradespeople make below market and union rates. It is very management heavy, so rules pertaining to the jobs are always changing. Very low morale as workers are constantly being threatened about privitization of Trades departments. Basically understaffed and underpayed. There is constant turnover in staff because of low morale. My reccommondation would be to steer clear of this organization. Although co workers are great.

Place to learn

Tbh I only go here to learn. To me it doesn’t matter what the education system or environment is, I just need good profs and reliable way to get here with enough flexibility to do what I want when I want. That happens here. Not very exemplary but passable.

Good place

University of Alberta's postdoc offers an outstanding environment for advanced research, fostering collaboration, skill development, and academic excellence

Grad school with the epitome of why academia is dying

Expected you to live in the lab basically, and forced you to quit other jobs to be able to make ends meet. I agree about commitment to work, but there are better ways.

Cons

Long hours, no life

All Great!

The work environment is collaborative and supportive, and yet very competitive. The pay is great with a generous compensation package. I strongly recommend the University of Alberta for a wide spectrum of jobs.

Great job for students

I enjoyed working as a proctor because it gave me the opportunity to work with students and on campus. highly recommended this type of job for any university student within their own faculty.

Great

Great place to work. The supervisors are really cool and kind. We are not allowed to sit but it would be great if they had given us the chance to sit during the shifts. Also, 15 minutes break is too less

Fun

I love it. The people you are working with are so helpful. They always guide the new employees on what to do. Fun environment. People are so approachable and fun to work with

Busy and dynamic

challenging work environmentGood benefitsdynamic working environment that offers rewarding career.time off can be inflexible depending on department

Stay away

Management is clueless, rude and puts down employees daily. Given miniscule data entry tasks and management acted like that was too difficult for myself and the new hires. Teammates were incredibly rude - I have never been berated so much as I have at the U of A. Low pay and no room to advance or learn anything new.

Productive work place with great colleagues and supervisors.

Overworked, little compassion, low pay.Good as a student as you get to learn a lot but sometimes there is a lot of work with high expectations which can become stressful especially with the limited support provided.

Productive and fun place to work

Work in the department of chemistry. Everyone there is so friendly and is such a character. Lots of room to be creative in the lab (at least my supervisor allows it).

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Alberta. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.7 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement