University of Alberta
Happiness score is 81 out of 100

University of Alberta Employee Reviews

Overall great experience

Great research happening at University of Alberta, but the economy in Alberta province is so slow and limited which makes transitioning into industry much harder.

Pros

Great environment

Cons

Lack of funding for some labs

Not world-class....far from it!

Without over-exaggerating too much, working for the University of Alberta was the worst job of my life. It is a quasi-government environment, which is very union-heavy, with very ineffective management who is only looking out for their best interests. Unionized employees have the benefit of the protection of the union, which means that poor performers can do as little as possible without any consequences. For a university that (allegedly) has world-class status, it is mind-blowing to learn how inefficient and archaic the university is actually run. Further, the university does not have a budget problem...it has always had a spending problem, which is the direct cause of the massive amount of layoffs that have occurred through 2019, 2020, and 2021.

Benefits

Cons

Everything else

A lot to learn at the university

A lot of opportunities to learn at the university. As a research assistant, the pay is not high (depending on the research groups), but it is good to get exposed to some great research projects and outstanding researchers.

Pros

Opportunities to learn and research

Cons

Pay is low

Learned a lot

Freedom to plan your day as long as all the work is completed on time. The lab environment could use some improvement and standardization. Otherwise an overall enjoyable experience.

I was moved to a different department .

It can be a great place to work , but if there are any issues, they are dealt with in a under handed manor. The second time i got a job there, it was not in the budget and had to turn down the job,

I was working as a language instructor.

The scheduling was very good, I learned how to teach better as a pedagogy class was offered at the same time, management was good, workplace culture was very interesting as fellow instructors had a wide variety of backgrounds. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the students themselves. The hardest part of the job (for me) was staying organized.

Pros

working with my fellow instructors

Cons

Very Toxic work environment.

There is no room for growth or career advancement. Visible minority employee are kept in entry level regardless of your qualification. Your voice is never heard no matter how loud.

Pros

Gym, lunch breaks, few cheerful employees

Cons

Working long hours

Good in General

Good in General. The positive atmosphere in the university. Friendly relationship. Fact-track job and as result kind of stressful. However, many learning opportunities are there.

Pros

Good in General

Cons

No negative

Fun, productive, involve all

I have enjoyed teaching for the U OF A. This year was much more collaborative and I felt more support in having co worker contact at my clinical site. There was a better wage in previous years, but this year they scaled back the roles so you got 0.5 FTE. Though with meetings and grading, you worked almost as much... covid definitely put a damper on teaching style as zoom took over.

Pros

Free luncheons, parties.

Cons

Hi turn over between clinical groups.

Toxic environment

Used to be a good employer. Now they want you to work more with less people and less pay. Would not recommend working here as a career. Maybe as entry level for a few years and then leave.

Good benefits and an opportunity to learn.

The job was based on contract funding and ended with the end date of the grant. It was heavy on the administrative support side but allowed me to learn a lot of skills and expand my network. The hardest part was learning how to coordinate exam practice sessions.

Pros

Great co-workers, good benefits

Cons

Some hours outside weekdays, very routine and unexciting for most workdays.

The employee compensation package (wage + benefits) is one thing I loved. The people are also very knowledgable and it is an organization with great growth opportunities. The workload is manageable, the people are amazing.

Pros

Work life Balance

Excellent training

I enjoyed my employment experience at the U of A. I worked in Pediatric Emergency, I love children very much! The couple different groups of ladies I got to work under and learn from were excellent, such nice smart people, with the patients and guidance you'd always hope for in a Practicum or new job experience! I would take a job in the same area again, with the hope of same experiences and people.

Pros

Work environment

Cons

Was a Practicum for school such a short time of work experience.

This place is an amazing place to work

I never thought that work for an education institution would be so great. At my time with the U of A, I have learned and grew my experience. My leadership team has given me the tools and support to enhance my skills. The culture is super inclusive so I know everyone is looked at as equal. This is a place to stay for the long haul.

Pros

7 hour work days, Christmas Shutdown, amazing benefits

Cons

Vacation days need to be accrued before they can be taken

Relaxed workplace

A good place to work, the work was clear and the expectations were fair. There was a lot of employee appreciation events and it was easy to get time off.

Pros

Staff events (i.e. breakfasts)

Cons

Parking can be painful

Mostly secure workplace with some upward mobility - but toxic work culture

The perks (free lunches and remission of tuition) and benefits were excellent, plus the union helped keep jobs secure and salaries well-compensated. The lunch hours were 1 hour long, and you still got paid for 30 minutes. Plus, work-life balance, personal development, and schedule flexibility (some departments even gave Flex time!) were very valued. But, huge discrepancies with workplace culture within certain faculties and departments. Also, 'lifers' became complacent and worked like unionized teamsters. So, many work departments were more toxic than others. And work recognition or encouragement for career development was rare.

Pros

Free lunches and classes, great benefits with union, decent job security

Cons

Toxic work culture prevalent, challenging to deal with Academic personalities and egos at times

Good pay and good people - poor management

Mostly you can set your hours within reason during the day and your schedule. There is not a lot of direction or onboarding given to many positions and the IT system can take a bit to get set up. The work is valuable and you do feel part of something

Pros

Pay, Benefits, Location

Cons

Management, Onboarding

No advancement, constant fear of losing job

Terrible management. Top heavy. Can't get anything done. Supervisor constantly holding job security over your head. Dead weight gets rewarded for not causing waves while hard workers are constantly punished.

productive and supportive workplace

I liked our boss's attitude with students and employees. Our workplace was super friendly and supportive in all aspects of life and work. I learned to work independently and in group.

You are calling residentials

We are doing surveys over the phone, people are always busy so sometimes they get mad if they reach the phone only to find out its just us calling to do a survey. I dont recommend it because they are already close.

Pros

Sitting

Cons

Short hours

Fun Workplace

Very welcoming, training provided, relaxed but professional atmosphere. and great co workers. Loved working in health and fitness, and learned a lot from my management.

Pros

Great People

Cons

Gets Busy at times

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Alberta. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.3