University Health Network logo
University Health Network

University Health Network Employee Reviews

real sense of purpose for our work in delivery valve to patient health

A very rewarding place to work. Everyone is dedicated to bring something to the table where ideas are appreciated and discussed and the focus is on the patients welfare.

Pros

Sense of purpose, great coworkers

Cons

pay not competative with industry standard, administration can be difficult to deal with

Very low pay

The payment is very low. I tripled my salary when I moved from UHN to another company. It is a pity that academic research has so limited funds. I would stay if I was paid more fairly.

productive & very great experience in the medical environment

learned to adapt to different scenarios dealing with different patients, on an average day i usually stock our medical rooms and carts, help assist nurses and admit patient to admitted floors

Pros

free lunch

Cons

Enhance my growth as an individual, physically socially and mentally .

UHN is a good training ground for beginners especially in the medical laboratory field. There’s plenty of experience in various section of the laboratory that one can grow fully because of the massive training and extensive knowledge being imparted to every employee. In venipuncture alone, numerous patients at Princess Margaret Hospital would provide you an excellent phlebotomy skill for non stop bleeding and EKG procedures. Bottom line, all these experiences I have encountered working as a phlebotomist at UHN continued my growth and development as an individual in all aspects of life.

Pros

Good pay, good benefits

Cons

Long wait for permanency position

Great experience and company culture

I enjoyed learning all the new technologies and workflows I had to use which will certainly be very useful in the coming years. While work was a bit slow sometimes, it was still nice to spend time with my coworkers and being at the centre of downtown Toronto didn't hurt.

Pros

Good learning experience, relaxed, good culture

Cons

Slow days

Solid organization

As it is such a big organization, your job and workplace culture is very dependent on the team you are on and your manager/leadership. Some roles will provide you with the opportunity to interact with other teams/departments, while others are more insular. For the most part, it is possible to move around to new roles (I was on the corporate side, but moved between teams) when you would like a change/new challenge. Salaries are on the low end.

Pros

Large organization, possible to move between teams to increase your learning + find the right fit

Cons

Internal promotion can be difficult and is very dependent on your manager/leadership

Relaxed yet professional environment

I enjoyed my time at Toronto Rehabilitation Institute, the research environment was professional and allowed you to work without distractions. But at the same time, the individuals that work alongside you, are very bright, friendly and helpful individuals. I would recommend this position and institution to anyone interested.

Age frendly ,manny worth wide cources offered to take

Had a wonder experience at UHN ,however non union jobs salaries payscale is all over the place , depending the amout you were hired for, someone beside you could be makeing significantly more doing the same postion.

Pros

Great working enviroment

Cons

Be prepared for a very heavy workload

Fast fast heavy work load with a business type environment.

A typical day to day routine would be to run reports for online donations as well as process donations from donors and issue receipts. My knowledge of how a hospital foundation supports the medical innovations that hospitals achieve grew immensely. the office was a very fast paced and there were constant deadlines needing to be met which was difficult to achieve sometimes due to donation volume and under staffing. Most enjoyable part of the job was the satisfaction of meeting the hospitals fundraising goal to allow the doctors in the hospital to take on new projects and innovating health care for patients.

Pros

Bonuses, free lunches and coffee.

Cons

Could not take vacation time between November and February.

nice atmosphere

nice place to work at, good working atmosphere. great working culture. over all nice place, does have bit of mis-communication between the departments, that sometime leads to deal in work done.

Jobs at University Health Network

See more jobs

It is one of the best rehabilitation institutes. The management is great. I get to collaborate and work with clinicians and engineers as well as with industry partners. I have learnt a lot working here.

nursing student experience

I have learned about nursing care relevant to the individual patient's needs. I really enjoyed working at Toronto Rehabilitation Institute especially because of the positive environment amongst staff members and supports available.

Nice and professional workplace

I just volunteered there. Nice people; My coordinator was an awesome person. good facilities for employees, like gym room. Lots of patients. Busy. Made good friends from diverse areas- OT, social workers.

Felt like a big family

I really enjoyed my time at UHN. I had left my previous employer for a better opportunity and thought that UHN was the perfect fit for me. Unfortunately that time was short lived as I was laid off due to restructuring. It was a great opportunity to gain more responsibility and learn more about the healthcare/hospital system. Enjoyed working in the corporate office, everyone was helpful and kind.

Pros

Helpful staff, takes time to answer questions

Cons

Restructuring, job loss

OK place to work

It was an OK place to work. The salary and benefits were good, however management is the overall reason I left my position with UHN. Unfortunately managers lack education and real life experience (within the security department). They have not worked outside of the health care environment, and do not have any form of higher education, while many of their subordinates have university degrees, etc.

Pros

Decent pay

Cons

Long hours, short notice for shifts

Friendly environment

I work casual and I like my schedule. Nice colleagues. The unit is not that heavy and I like to work for this company. The only reason I may leave is the commuit issue. Otherwise, I would never leave this company.

A great organization!

I am very honored and privileged to be employed with this organization. This organization develops the staff so they can work anywhere but treats so good that they do not want to leave.

Long hard days at work with amazing people

Working as a nurse there is a lot of paperwork and mediating between different members of the care team and patients. I expect UHN is no different in that it feels as though the nurses take a lot of the work with little say in the company. All of this having been said I had the opportunity to work with the most amazing men and women I have had the pleasure of meeting. they are always kind and helpful as can be, even when the work gets hard.

Pros

Co-workers

Great place, world class research facilities

I was a postdoctoral researcher at TRI before and I loved it here. I now work as a Scientist at TRI. They give you the independence to work on projects important to you. They value collaboration and leadership qualities and promote networking to expand the goal and scope of the institution.

Pros

Freedom to set ones own research direction

Cons

Bureaucracy can slow down the pace

Positive Work Environment

UHN is a great organization where Undergrad University students can gain excellent work experience under the influence of highly qualified Post-docs or doctors.

Pros

good breaks

Cons

no cons

great place to work

4 major hospitals in one, UHN is top notch in the country! It's a place one would like to work in for the lifetime of one's career. It offers great benefits for its employees but it also tends to be lacking in some of their needs; compassion, for example.

Pros

great benefits, good people to work with

Cons

wasteful with resources, cuts down good programs due to bad management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University Health Network. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6Job security/advancement