University Health Network

University Health Network Work-life balance reviews

Job is what you make of it. Avoid the politics and do your job you'll be just fine. Great job security and benefits for most positions. Especially now with work from home I'd imagine most of the admin work would be great. You work in Health Care so Job Security is top notch.
Pros
Job Security and benefits
Cons
Depending on department could be weird hours, If you don't get a long with your immediate supervisor good luck
Excellent place to work if you want to learn and grow. Very fast-paced multi-tasking and highly competitive, Salary raises do not follow the increase in duties and responsibilities. Benefits are very good Management does not promote or stimulate advancement. They don't promote you so they don't have to increase your pay.
Benefits
Cons
salary increases and promotions very difficult to achieve
Great to work if you've settled down. Not so great if you're looking for faster advancement. Very dated infrastructure...like you literally hear dial up sounds when you're in office. Easy to make mistakes due to dated infrastructure. If you have never worked in a hospital...beware! Lots to learn and easy to mess up. Certain managers tend to have robotic personalities and need to learn better people skills, especially when dealing with people with different personalities.
Benefits
Cons
Career advancement (it would take you years to advance), robotic management
Good work / life balance. Public sector always under tight budget. Salary is not compensating. Management is ok. However job is stable. Downtown core may not be ideal suburban commuters.
The day begins at 9:00 AM and ends at 5:00 PM. As an intern I work two days a week from 9-2:00 PM to accommodate classes. I work directly under the Senior Graphic Designer who oversees my process from ideation to production. I have learned a great deal about corporate branding and multitasking between different departments.
They are caring for their employees, and I had a wonder career of 38 years there and am now looking for casual employment. I would strongly recommend them as an employer.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
NO work life balance, people who know someone or who are related get the jobs. I loved it there, everyone so patient-oriented, but so hard to get a real position. No matter what your skills level.
learned to adapt to different scenarios dealing with different patients, on an average day i usually stock our medical rooms and carts, help assist nurses and admit patient to admitted floors
Pros
free lunch
Cons
As it is such a big organization, your job and workplace culture is very dependent on the team you are on and your manager/leadership. Some roles will provide you with the opportunity to interact with other teams/departments, while others are more insular. For the most part, it is possible to move around to new roles (I was on the corporate side, but moved between teams) when you would like a change/new challenge. Salaries are on the low end.
Pros
Large organization, possible to move between teams to increase your learning + find the right fit
Cons
Internal promotion can be difficult and is very dependent on your manager/leadership
It was an OK place to work. The salary and benefits were good, however management is the overall reason I left my position with UHN. Unfortunately managers lack education and real life experience (within the security department). They have not worked outside of the health care environment, and do not have any form of higher education, while many of their subordinates have university degrees, etc.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Long hours, short notice for shifts
I work casual and I like my schedule. Nice colleagues. The unit is not that heavy and I like to work for this company. The only reason I may leave is the commuit issue. Otherwise, I would never leave this company.
I am very honored and privileged to be employed with this organization. This organization develops the staff so they can work anywhere but treats so good that they do not want to leave.
- Good work balance- Good management- Collaborative environment with lots of opportunities to learn new technologies- Strong research group with lots of initiative
Pros
Good team events
Cons
Salary/benefits not so competitive.
Good workplace culture, excellent management department. There was no job security with the position so I had to change careers. Otherwise, a good place to work for Allied Health professionals.
Workplace culture at this organization has been very different from now, and is deteriorating rapidly. In the last 3 years many people left organization, and this trends is accelerating.
good place to work, learn and grow. good job security. depending on what area you work in, job advancement may be difficult. overall its a safe company
I started my career at UH n and have had so much personal and professional growth. This hospital is amazing for ongoing education and teaching and I am so proud to have been able to learn so much during these 10 years here.
Working with some of the most passionate and caring therapists, I was able to see, first-hand, why patients trust and enjoy coming to Toronto Rehab. The staff are kind, caring, and patient with every patient they encounter.
Lots of programs for work life balance and wellness, good food court, clean and convenient to get to. Many employee discounts available. Always felt secure on site when on shifts.
Good place to work for scientific research, has good work-life balance, but not much in terms of career progression or promotions. The benefits are good.
Loved going to work daily. Great group of people that were incredibly talented. Supportive company culture and great room for advancement. Would recommend highly.