University Health Network

University Health Network Management reviews

It is an incredible journey. I have learned a lot. Very good teaching hospital and the best Medical Imaging dept in the world. State of the art equipments and a good place to learn. Decent salary.
Pros
Knowledge, academic experience, research
Cons
Stressful, poor low/mid level management
Poor management style. Senior director not interested to do the right thing if there is an issue. Directors and managers are too busy to try to actually know who is really contributing and can cultivate their skills and help them grow. Only interested if you’re supporting the faculty of pharmacy on top of all your clinical work. Clinical leads do not provide a supportive environment of learning, ready to point out flaws. The managers of different sites are related so how would staff feel if they have a concern.
Pros
The prestige of working at UHN
Cons
Poor work culture
The work itself is fine, typical renovation projects in the operational hospital environment which can be stressful from time to time. However, managers in the department are not supportive. Constant discriminating, harassing and bullying atmosphere. Even if everything is fine with the projects, managers are criticizing staff all the time. No wonder there is extremely high staff turnover.
Benefits
Cons
Toxic work environment, salary
If you are applying for a Houskeeping position be prepared to deal with disrespect, no consideration and rude attitude from Litsa the Receptionist and the manager. You are selling your soul to the devil.
Pros
Great way to get into the hospital
Cons
not understand, you get punished for calling in sick and taking vacation, They make you take vacation when thwy want you to. There alot of corruption between management.
Excellent place to work if you want to learn and grow. Very fast-paced multi-tasking and highly competitive, Salary raises do not follow the increase in duties and responsibilities. Benefits are very good Management does not promote or stimulate advancement. They don't promote you so they don't have to increase your pay.
Benefits
Cons
salary increases and promotions very difficult to achieve
UHN provides ample opportunity to slide between departments to develop skillset. Most management is agreeable, but some can be unreasonable. Regardless, highly recommend UHN.
Pay is decent, but only if you aim high during initial negotiations. After that, you're stuck with a paltry annual increase. Benefits and pension are great. Advancement within your own team/department is rare. The only way to move up is out - either out of your team/department or to another organization. The pace can only be described as glacial. What should take a few days is stretched to weeks. And anything that should take weeks will be measured in months. Management has the emotional intelligence of roadkill. You will be view as a tool rather than a human being, and consequently, will be treated like one. Most will gladly throw their subordinates under a bus to protect their own skin. Expect to continue working after 5PM, well into the evening. HR will do everything to defend the organization. Anything you need/ask of them will be treated like a massive inconvenience. As per above, simple forms and tasks will take weeks to complete. I recommend coming to UHN for a few years of experience, but staying past a few years is a waste of your time. Plenty of better hospitals in the area to work at. PS - You can count the number of social events with one hand, even after losing a few fingers in a tragic accident.
In terms of health care University Health Network is one of the leaders for patient care and embracing innovation in the health care sector. As a previous employee in UHN's security operations, also as a female, I would suggest the managerial staff in the security department be required to maintain a stronger educational focus on keeping up to date with social appropriateness, gender equality, racial inclusivity and that a higher standard be held regarding acceptable candidates for managerial positions. All UHN members of Security Operations management are male and are also educationally surpassed by many of their subordinates. My experience working within the security department for 5 years exposed a large disconnect between the mangers racist, sexist and authoritarian like behaviour and the standard of excellence UHN maintains regarding healthy work environments. This is unacceptable for such a progressive organization in the health care sector located in one of the most multicultural cities in the world. I am not proud to have worked in this environment, it forced me to compromise my value systems, my integrity and my own standards for self-respect. These are not small compromises to expect employees to make in order to do their jobs in the 21st century.
Great to work if you've settled down. Not so great if you're looking for faster advancement. Very dated infrastructure...like you literally hear dial up sounds when you're in office. Easy to make mistakes due to dated infrastructure. If you have never worked in a hospital...beware! Lots to learn and easy to mess up. Certain managers tend to have robotic personalities and need to learn better people skills, especially when dealing with people with different personalities.
Benefits
Cons
Career advancement (it would take you years to advance), robotic management
Supervised staff in collaboration with hospital and medical leaders to complete the scheduled operations as described on the surgical list. Management was supportive but the staff were uncooperative and fragmented.
Good work / life balance. Public sector always under tight budget. Salary is not compensating. Management is ok. However job is stable. Downtown core may not be ideal suburban commuters.
Great place to work great team members, no micro management.............................. Would recommend this working environment to anyone........................
Pros
No Micro Management
Cons
Communte
the team produced high-quality research and care for the patients, wonderful physician and healthcare team the management team could be better at supporting the junior members
As an IT professional if you want a place to learn and advance then avoid this place. The management has changed over the past few years and they haven't figured out yet what they are doing.
UHN is an 'alright' place to work at, most of your peers would be willing to help and accommodate you but unfortunately my management was only interested in passing blame onto others as opposed to take some responsibilities up on themselves in a mature manner. Not to mention the consistent lack of clear communication or I should say ambiguous communication left much to be desired. This I found to be toxic and affected me greatly, to be constantly undermined, and having vague idea of my place at the job only created more hurdles for me than solutions. This isn't to say the place is bad, on contrary I found there are other departments whose management works well with others, so it is matter of luck where you end up working.
Have had a great experience working here. The staff are supportive and the culture is great. However, not a lot of opportunity to explore management roles.
Former employee, always held a high regard for UHN especially TGH, started my work career there fresh out of high school and worked my way up. Always had a positive experience and worked with amazing people. Unfortunately managers always seem to wreck things for people, they are protected by HR, HR always sides with management and the workers never win even if they are in the right, poor advice from HR personnel have caused me to loose a job that I loved.
Pros
Great hospital, great firsts, pretty good benefits
Cons
Heavy workload, payscale not so great
It is one of the best rehabilitation institutes. The management is great. I get to collaborate and work with clinicians and engineers as well as with industry partners. I have learnt a lot working here.
It was an OK place to work. The salary and benefits were good, however management is the overall reason I left my position with UHN. Unfortunately managers lack education and real life experience (within the security department). They have not worked outside of the health care environment, and do not have any form of higher education, while many of their subordinates have university degrees, etc.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Long hours, short notice for shifts
4 major hospitals in one, UHN is top notch in the country! It's a place one would like to work in for the lifetime of one's career. It offers great benefits for its employees but it also tends to be lacking in some of their needs; compassion, for example.
Pros
great benefits, good people to work with
Cons
wasteful with resources, cuts down good programs due to bad management
- Good work balance- Good management- Collaborative environment with lots of opportunities to learn new technologies- Strong research group with lots of initiative
Pros
Good team events
Cons
Salary/benefits not so competitive.