University Health Network logo

Clear
Work-life balance
Job security & advancement

Solid place to work

Job is what you make of it. Avoid the politics and do your job you'll be just fine. Great job security and benefits for most positions. Especially now with work from home I'd imagine most of the admin work would be great. You work in Health Care so Job Security is top notch.

Pros

Job Security and benefits

Cons

Depending on department could be weird hours, If you don't get a long with your immediate supervisor good luck

Research Student - Great Job to Hold During Undergrad/Masters

While the pay definitely could have been more, working as a student during your undergraduate/masters studies is an amazing opportunity that you should cherish. You will get connections with many healthcare professionals, advance your knowledge on the field of whichever department you're in, and learn great skills that can transfer to future careers. As well when a student it is great to have the flexibility to make your own schedule.

Pros

Flexible

Cons

Pay

Professional and highly competitive

Excellent place to work if you want to learn and grow. Very fast-paced multi-tasking and highly competitive, Salary raises do not follow the increase in duties and responsibilities. Benefits are very good Management does not promote or stimulate advancement. They don't promote you so they don't have to increase your pay.

Benefits

Cons

salary increases and promotions very difficult to achieve

Work here until you retire

UHN provides ample opportunity to slide between departments to develop skillset. Most management is agreeable, but some can be unreasonable. Regardless, highly recommend UHN.

Every stereotype is true

Pay is decent, but only if you aim high during initial negotiations. After that, you're stuck with a paltry annual increase. Benefits and pension are great. Advancement within your own team/department is rare. The only way to move up is out - either out of your team/department or to another organization. The pace can only be described as glacial. What should take a few days is stretched to weeks. And anything that should take weeks will be measured in months. Management has the emotional intelligence of roadkill. You will be view as a tool rather than a human being, and consequently, will be treated like one. Most will gladly throw their subordinates under a bus to protect their own skin. Expect to continue working after 5PM, well into the evening. HR will do everything to defend the organization. Anything you need/ask of them will be treated like a massive inconvenience. As per above, simple forms and tasks will take weeks to complete. I recommend coming to UHN for a few years of experience, but staying past a few years is a waste of your time. Plenty of better hospitals in the area to work at. PS - You can count the number of social events with one hand, even after losing a few fingers in a tragic accident.

Slow to for advancement

Great to work if you've settled down. Not so great if you're looking for faster advancement. Very dated infrastructure...like you literally hear dial up sounds when you're in office. Easy to make mistakes due to dated infrastructure. If you have never worked in a hospital...beware! Lots to learn and easy to mess up. Certain managers tend to have robotic personalities and need to learn better people skills, especially when dealing with people with different personalities.

Benefits

Cons

Career advancement (it would take you years to advance), robotic management

Good work / life balance

Good work / life balance. Public sector always under tight budget. Salary is not compensating. Management is ok. However job is stable. Downtown core may not be ideal suburban commuters.

Great learning environment

The staff presents you with numerous learning opportunities that can help you prepare yourself for a career in healthcare. Everyone was super friendly and resourceful.

Avoid the IT department

As an IT professional if you want a place to learn and advance then avoid this place. The management has changed over the past few years and they haven't figured out yet what they are doing.

Wonderful Place to work

They are caring for their employees, and I had a wonder career of 38 years there and am now looking for casual employment. I would strongly recommend them as an employer.

Pros

Great environment

Jobs at University Health Network

See more jobs

Great place to work but not a lot of management opportunities

Have had a great experience working here. The staff are supportive and the culture is great. However, not a lot of opportunity to explore management roles.

Uhn

NO work life balance, people who know someone or who are related get the jobs. I loved it there, everyone so patient-oriented, but so hard to get a real position. No matter what your skills level.

Great place to work, friendly environment.

Former employee, always held a high regard for UHN especially TGH, started my work career there fresh out of high school and worked my way up. Always had a positive experience and worked with amazing people. Unfortunately managers always seem to wreck things for people, they are protected by HR, HR always sides with management and the workers never win even if they are in the right, poor advice from HR personnel have caused me to loose a job that I loved.

Pros

Great hospital, great firsts, pretty good benefits

Cons

Heavy workload, payscale not so great

friendly working environment

good work environment. Challenging work that helps improve problem-solving skills and use of specific system programs used for data entry/collection. friendly co-workers that are willing to help you out if you are encountering certain problems.

Enhance my growth as an individual, physically socially and mentally .

UHN is a good training ground for beginners especially in the medical laboratory field. There’s plenty of experience in various section of the laboratory that one can grow fully because of the massive training and extensive knowledge being imparted to every employee. In venipuncture alone, numerous patients at Princess Margaret Hospital would provide you an excellent phlebotomy skill for non stop bleeding and EKG procedures. Bottom line, all these experiences I have encountered working as a phlebotomist at UHN continued my growth and development as an individual in all aspects of life.

Pros

Good pay, good benefits

Cons

Long wait for permanency position

Great experience and company culture

I enjoyed learning all the new technologies and workflows I had to use which will certainly be very useful in the coming years. While work was a bit slow sometimes, it was still nice to spend time with my coworkers and being at the centre of downtown Toronto didn't hurt.

Pros

Good learning experience, relaxed, good culture

Cons

Slow days

Solid organization

As it is such a big organization, your job and workplace culture is very dependent on the team you are on and your manager/leadership. Some roles will provide you with the opportunity to interact with other teams/departments, while others are more insular. For the most part, it is possible to move around to new roles (I was on the corporate side, but moved between teams) when you would like a change/new challenge. Salaries are on the low end.

Pros

Large organization, possible to move between teams to increase your learning + find the right fit

Cons

Internal promotion can be difficult and is very dependent on your manager/leadership

Relaxed yet professional environment

I enjoyed my time at Toronto Rehabilitation Institute, the research environment was professional and allowed you to work without distractions. But at the same time, the individuals that work alongside you, are very bright, friendly and helpful individuals. I would recommend this position and institution to anyone interested.

It is one of the best rehabilitation institutes. The management is great. I get to collaborate and work with clinicians and engineers as well as with industry partners. I have learnt a lot working here.

Nice and professional workplace

I just volunteered there. Nice people; My coordinator was an awesome person. good facilities for employees, like gym room. Lots of patients. Busy. Made good friends from diverse areas- OT, social workers.

Felt like a big family

I really enjoyed my time at UHN. I had left my previous employer for a better opportunity and thought that UHN was the perfect fit for me. Unfortunately that time was short lived as I was laid off due to restructuring. It was a great opportunity to gain more responsibility and learn more about the healthcare/hospital system. Enjoyed working in the corporate office, everyone was helpful and kind.

Pros

Helpful staff, takes time to answer questions

Cons

Restructuring, job loss

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University Health Network. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6Job security/advancement