University Health Network logo
University Health Network

University Health Network Employee Reviews for Volunteer

Very welcoming

Everyone is very kind and welcome. The environment is super easy is adapt. The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with the patients and helping them.

volunteer

Great staff and very helpful. Great exposure for hospital setting if you aspire working in health field. You get the chance to do some secretarial job and admin job

Volunteer

Great place to volunteer. I have been a volunteer for over two years and the volunteer coordinator, employees and supervisor are friendly and helpful. Very skilled at their positions.

Fun volunteering

I enjoy volunteering in Toronto Rehab as a Unit Support volunteer meeting new patients, talking about there interests and bringing smile on their face.

Summary

I started volunteering with UHN in Toronto, Ontario, Canada since November 2015. I decided to volunteer as I recently graduated from Medical school and looking to avail my time until residency starts. I help provide cardiac support and also, volunteer recruiting patients for an ongoing cardiac research study in Toronto General Hospital. Everyone is very pleasant.

A great place to work

I feel fortunate to work in the largest research and teaching institution, collaborating with top researchers and clinicians. I have received support from the staff and management. I have develop skills and gained experience. I have excellent co-workers. Job security is not good because research depends on funding.

Productive and enjoyable workplace

At UHN I was a volunteer and I specifically asked my guidance councillor at Medix College to place me there. There were only two positions available that went to the top candidate in each class. Thankfully because of my excellent grades I was chosen. I would register patients for their venipuncture which I found to be one of my favourite things to do at the hospital. I ensured that they had their right to confidentiality and the best customer service to make the process easy and their day a little better. I also would sort and organize lab equipment in the Hematology Department, organize pathology slides and incoming pathology specimens for the Pathologists to review in the Pathology Department. Administrative duties were also given to me in the Pathology Department, i.e. sorting the doctors' mail. Management was excellent, everyone showed the volunteers exactly what to do and then we worked on our own but management was always available to us in case we needed to ask questions. The most enjoyable part of the job for me was knowing I was doing something to better the service people were getting in the healthcare organization. The hardest part of the job was wanting to do more and practicing the skills I learned in the Medical Laboratory Technician program but because I was only a volunteer I was not able to, due to certain laws and regulations.

Pros

Being able to work in such an incredible healthcare organization

Cons

Not being able to exercise all the skills I learned in school

Integrated Clinical System

The Clinical system at the fracture clinic is a well organized system oriented for patient/doctor relationship. The job requires one to interact in a fast paced environment with the ability to quickly act upon patient requests. This clinic is an up to date system with electronic components to meet up with current day technology and is well implemented. Customer service skills are essential as problems arise in the clinic and the ability to respond in a kind and friendly way is a must when being under pressure. It is a fun environment to work in as the co-workers are always ready to help and make working enjoyable.

Pros

Free Lunches

Great work environment, amazing staff (very knowledgeable and helpful)

Working at the surgical waiting room has shown me the some of the greatest things about the Canadian healthcare system. Everything from the competency of the health care providers (such as nurses and doctors) to how helpful and involved the management are makes me proud to be a part of the organization.

Too slow-paced

Very slow paced, not enough urgency, work environment lacked daily goals.

enjoing working with defferent peolpe

I learned to communicate with others and a co- workers as well,the hardest part of the job is when dealing with the costumer with bahaviors problems but i still handle it, the most enjoyable in my job is to serve our costumers with friendly and with respect same thing with my co workers.

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University Health Network. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6Job security/advancement